Ether Saga Open Beta

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Ether Saga Open Beta

Postby Relee » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:55 am

Ether Saga started their Open Beta yesterday. It's a free MMO being translated from Chinese. The translation is a little rough or still missing in a few spots, but in others it's the best translation I've seen in an SE Asian MMO.

It's also insanely cute. INSANELY cute. I love it, purely based on the artistic style. For an example, here's my character transformed into a Moonhare. http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1363 ... areci9.jpg

It's based on Journey to the West and in keeping with that story, there are 108 transformation techniques you can learn. I got lucky and got the Moonhare transformation almost right away.

You also get an adorable pet. Every class gets combat pets. I've got an ADORABLE baby three-tailed kitsune and an ADORABLE Moonhare. I used the fusion technique with my Kitsune then transformed into a Moonhare and I took my Moonhare pet out as my combat pet, and I transformed into a Moonhare, so now I've got an ADORABLE pair of Moonhare twins floating around. It's just SOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUTE!

Gameplay-wise it's very similar to World of Warcraft. It's meant to be a Free to Play MMO, supported by a Cash Shop. Mostly the cash shop sells things like EXP gain boosters and custom outfits and mounts.

You can read more about it on my LiveJournal if you're really curious.

http://relee.livejournal.com/551557.html

http://relee.livejournal.com/551984.html

The game's website is http://eso.perfectworld.com
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Re: Ether Saga Open Beta

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:58 pm

How do I get in on this? can I just download the client and go, or what? I want in. This.... is gorgeous.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby RaharuAharu » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:14 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:How do I get in on this? can I just download the client and go, or what? I want in. This.... is gorgeous.

The interface looks like a near direct rip off from WoW... Good! ^__^
It does look lovely
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Relee » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:55 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:How do I get in on this? can I just download the client and go, or what? I want in. This.... is gorgeous.

Well, first go here:

http://eso.perfectworld.com/

You need to sign up for an account with Perfect World Entertainment. There should be a Register button at the top right of the screen.

They used partner relations to distribute the open beta keys, so you have to go to one of the sites they linked in this news post here: http://contest.mmosite.com/giveaway/ether_saga_online/

Each of them have a limited number of keys, but they've been giving them out for weeks now and they each still have over a thousand (one has over six thousand) so you probably don't need to worry about rushing. You might have to sign up for the sites offering the keys, though, and log into them. I got mine from mmorpg.com and I already have an account there, so it was no big deal for me.

You also have to download the client. There's a download button in the middle of the Ether Saga homepage I linked earlier, where it says Free Download! you can click and it takes you to the download page, otherwise you could go to the Download header on the menu bar and select Game Client. It has an autodownloader and the client is 1.6 gigs so you'll probably be downloading it for a while.

Once you've got your beta key they should give you instructions for setting up your specific Ether Saga account on your Perfect World Entertainment account. Then you run the client. It's a little obtuse, as described in my LiveJournal which I linked in the first post on this thread. If you have trouble, you can read that and just do what I did.

The game is pretty interesting. I've recently found out that there's an unlockable botting client built into the game, which is why the monster spawns are constantly full of hundreds of non-aggro mobs. They need to have lots of mobs constantly in order to make sure everyone gets one, when the botters are kill-stealing. ^.^;;

I've yet to find an aggro mob. I'm sure there must be some eventually, but so far nothing. As a strange fact there are occasional quizzes. I've yet to join in one of the main super quizzes, but NPCs often talk about things like famous classical authors and historical facts. They don't seem to mind breaking the fourth wall a lot.

One more thing about Ether Saga I should mention is the attitude. You're an immortal, almost a god, and everybody worships you and tries to take advantage of you. The ceaseless fawning, grovelling and simpering of the majority of NPCs apparently evokes some spark in the Chinese spirit, but it rubs my fur the wrong way. ^.^;;

RaharuAharu wrote:

It does look lovely

Perfect World Entertainment, the company producing this, has two games. Both are on a free-to-play model, but the other one uses a more 'serious' and 'realistic' style. It's called Perfect World. The two games have similar interfaces, and both are like WoW, but Ether Saga is more like WoW.

I tried Perfect World out before joining Ether Saga. It's not as good, really. The only thing I liked about it is the way-past-cool flying mounts. While I was playing I saw someone riding a giant swan, surf-board style. Humans get to ride giant flying swords.
Last edited by Relee on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Wizard CaT » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:53 pm

RaharuAharu wrote:

It does look lovely

Well it is Chinese CCC
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alfador » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:11 am

Relee wrote:I've got an ADORABLE baby three-tailed kitsune

Hey, how'd I get in there?! :D
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:43 am

You know, it's possible to play a kitsune character in nWOD.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Relee » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:28 am

I don't know what nWOD is, but you can play a Kitsune in Perfect World, the other free game published by Perfect World Entertainment. It's just, that game doesn't have the graphics and music going for it that Ether Saga has.

Actually the more I play Ether Saga the more things I don't like about it. I'd probably stop playing if I wasn't so constantly enthralled by the cute graphics and fun music. It's primarily a grinding game. I mean, if you compare it to WoW for example, WoW has lots of quests where you're told 'go kill five to ten of this particular creature who you can find in this particular location' and you'll go there and it'll be something like an evil fort or a camp or a cave or something with a clear role and theme, even if most of the monsters are just standing around waiting to die, and most of them are just recolours with a few new abilities.

In Ether Saga almost all the quests involve killing a particular quantity of particular mobs, and any of that particular mob anywhere will work. The mobs are about as densely packed in herds of two or three varieties. Around Pokari City for example there are Jaqisac Arsons, who are those guys wtih the bombs and bunny hats you might have seen in screenshots, along with Aurelian Spirits, who are gold coins with blue toon gloves and a single floating eye that look like they came out of Banjo Kazooie, and Sting Squads, which are individual monsters made up of four green wasps. They're all packed so tightly together that you don't even have to move and you can constantly farm them. In fact, that's the best way to do it. My last quest was to kill 15 Jaqisac Arsons, 15 Aurelian Spirits, and 15 Sting Squads, so I found a spot where a Jaqisac Arson, an Aurelian Spirit and a Sting Squad all spawned in a sort of 'triangle' pattern, and stood in the middle, and attacked each of them. They each died after about four hits of my normal attack; there's no challenge in this game, I should make that clear. Maybe there's challenge later, I heard the instance bosses are rediculously tough, and there was that one 'group quest' I soloed, that was almost tough. The monsters also respawn fast, so I could just keep pressing tab to auto target, and 1 to use my basic attack, and by the time I had killed the three of them, the next one had respawned, and I didn't even have to move. Just spin around killing each of them fifteen times. Before that I had a quest to kill 25 Rattle Vipes, so I found a spot where three Rattle Vipes spawned close to eachother, and just kept pushing the win button.

In one sense it's very similar to WoW sending you out to kill a bunch of guys, but unlike WoW these guys aren't in an area custom designed for their theme, they're just standing around in a field like grazing cows. It's basically a butchering simulator. Knife goes in, guts come out. Knife goes in, guts come out. Now, despite the massive numbers of critters you kill for quests, they're so easy and tightly packed that it goes really fast. It's not THAT bad, but it's not very enriching. I keep hoping I'll find some sparse, aggro mobs in themed areas. Maybe when I find my way to an instance it'll be like that, but I don't know.

The game is basically designed around botting. One of the things you can purchase from the cash shop is a legal botting client integrated into the game. You're expected to bot. Given that, I figure there must be some endgame worth botting towards. You can't have botting as your end game content, right? On the other hand, maybe the 'endgame' is just the PvP. I've heard the game has a rich PvP system. There's also some faction grinding aspects I've seen elements of, but the part of the instructions that explains them isn't fully translated, so I don't really know what benefits or rules are involved in that.

The next time I play I'm going to go for a 'walk'. The world is pretty big, and I'm going to see if I can find an aggro mob anywhere.

If anybody wants to give it a try, I'm on the Fort Phoenix server (East Coast) on Realm 09. My character is a Dragoon named Relee.

And yes, I also find it terribly funny that the only game I've ever seen that not only allows but encourages botting, is a Chinese game. Chinese MMO players are usually typecast as botters and gold farmers, to the point they're refered to as Chinese Gold Farmers, or just Chinese Farmers, even if they're European.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:35 am

Relee wrote:I don't know what nWOD is,
The (new) World of Darkness, setting for White Wolf Game Studio's Storytelling system games, well-known for their "Monster: the Angst" title format.

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12774.phtml
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Relee » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:27 pm

Oh, World of Darkness. Did you know they're making an MMO for that? It's being made by the same company that made EVE. They're also making trading card games for World of Darkness and EVE.

If it's new world of darkness, what's the old world of darkness? I read a World of Darkness manual a couple years ago, and it was really cool. Was that new or old, I wonder?
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:34 pm

Probably new. The oWoD had a more unified cosmology and less unified mechanics.

What was the book's title?
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Relee » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:27 pm

strange_person wrote:Probably new. The oWoD had a more unified cosmology and less unified mechanics.

What was the book's title?

Um, "World of Darkness" I think. ^.^;;

It's been a while, I don't remember if it had a subtitle.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Did it describe mostly stats for humans, with a section at the end about ghosts?

If so, definitely nWOD. Old World of Darkness product lines were very disjoint, with few unified systems for "mere mortals."
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Relee » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:19 am

I don't remember any sections about ghosts.

Mostly it was the rules for the storyteller system, I think. With collaries that you can ignore the rules at your leisure.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:53 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Darkness

This summation appears to be accurate.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Return to Games and Gaming