Scribblenauts - God vs. The Kraken

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Re: Scribblenauts - God vs. The Kraken

Postby Relee » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:09 pm

Scribblenauts is coming out in, like, a week. I already put down my pre-order for my Birthday Present To Myself.

Check out their website, it shows a lot of neat gameplay examples in the backgrounds of each page. The Murder Mystery in the screenshots looks really interesting, I imagine they really press this game to its limits!

I'm just watching the videos and guess what? THEY HAVE A GIANT ENEMY CRAB. XD

Attack his weakpoint for MASSIVE DAMAGE!
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Monthenor » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:00 pm

That's a good point, actually. I preordered for my Chicken Hat, but I haven't gotten an email from Gamespot for a while now...I hope they did not forget? 9/15 NEVER FORGET
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:21 pm

I played Scribblenauts at PAX. Yes, it is farging AWESOME.

I did stump it, though, with the words 'introitus' and 'indifibulum'. But don't hold that against it. There are at least 10k things you can creatrix into existence, and all interact and do stuff. I just know some bizarre words.

The game is a little like golf. The levels are like courses, and they have a par to get under, and you score on how you do with points for style, technique, and elegance. The first time through level 'N' you can help the lumberjack by conjuring an 'axe' to cut the tree. But after that, that word won't get you any score. At all. You have to do something new. So the next time through, maybe you terminate the tree with a 'bazooka'. Fine, but you get more points for a non-weapon. Didn't know that? You do now. Weapons are recognized as too easy a solution.

OK, so you use 'fire' to get the tree. But maybe the fire burns the bird in the tree, so that docks you points. So you conjure an 'elephant' to push the tree over. Nice! Oops! You weren't careful where you put the elephant down, and he pushed the tree over on the lumberjack. Not good. So you put the elephant on the other side... but the elephant likes the lumberjack, and he won't work. The elephant wants to play. So you conjure a 'mouse' and that scares the elephant, and he pushes over the tree: bonus score for style!

The point: every level can be played over in a new way, the only limit being your imagination and vocabulary. How about using a 'tractor' on that tree? Or 'god'? Or a 'jetpack' and a 'rope' to pull it up? And that is only ONE level out of hundreds.

You can also build levels, if you need to.

I am telling you this is a fantastic game. Seriously fantastic. Must get.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Plasman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:33 am

Oh, I'd forgotten all about this game! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Now I know why I own a DS...
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby draque » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:36 am

My friends and I are headed down to a wedding this weekend and we've taken to calling it the "Scribblenauts prerelease party."
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alfador » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:41 pm

I also preordered. Because yay. :3
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Monthenor » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:31 pm

Alfador wrote:I also preordered. Because CHICKEN HAT. :3
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Relee » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:14 pm

I didn't get a chicken hat with my preorder, and I'm okay with that. ^.^;;
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Ashes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:28 pm

According to my confidential sources there are 22,802 words in Scribblenauts. Don't go looking for the list though. You'd just be spoiling the surprise.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Alfador » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:41 am

Relee wrote:I didn't get a chicken hat with my preorder, and I'm okay with that. ^.^;;

They told me the hats would come with the game. :o
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Relee » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:39 pm

I got my pre-order of Scribblenauts yesterday. Lots of fun. There's about 200 levels built in, and of course you can make your own and download them. The title screen is a sandbox, where you can create whatever you want. Creating things from certain categories unlocks different sandbox screens, I've got most of them unlocked but not all of them yet. I spent a long time just trying all the words I wanted on the front screen, before actually getting into the game.

I'd like to share some of the things I've found out about the game, but they might be considered spoilers, so consider this your SPOILER WARNING even though you could also call the dictionary or encyclopedia a spoiler warning...

My favorite item I've found so far is the Necronomicon. I wondered if it would be in there since they had C'thulhu, and sure enough a book appeared with a spooky face on it. Actually it looked a lot like the Necronomicon from the Evil Dead movies. Then I equipped it, and summoned C'thulhu, I wanted to see if I could use it to control him. It had the option of using it to attack him, so I did, and it turned C'thulhu into an undead skeleton. Then I realized it actually WAS the Necronomicon from the Evil Dead movies, which makes sense since 5th Cell is located in Northern Michigan where Evil Dead was made. If you're curious, Yog-Sothoth doesn't work and neither does Nyarlathotep, but Shoggoth does. I just had C'thulhu fight a Shoggoth. Both Cthulhu and C'thulhu work, both spellings I mean.

Most things in Scribblenauts you can summon with different words. Zeus gives you the same god as God does. Poesidon doesn't work, or any other spelling I tried, but Hades does and gives you Death. So, if Michigan gets swallowed up by the sea, you know why. Ra and Anubis are in too but not Osiris or Set. Hercules is in, but when I tried to make him fight a Lion he got owned, and when I tried to make him fight a Hydra he was scared and ran away, and got owned, so Hercules is kind of lame. No Perseus. Most greek stuff is in there but not all.

In the challenges you have to beat a level three times in a row without using the same items twice, but you can use a Helicopter, a Chopper, and a Gyrocopter, and use the same thing three times that way.

The jet pack isn't as awesome as it ought to be, it makes you jump higher and longer instead of flying, and it's hard to control. The magic carpet does the same thing, I don't know why. It should be a flying vehicle, right?

The most useful summon I've seen so far is Cupid, or Cupid Bow or Cupid Arrow. Cupid is good, he can shoot over and over again. If you make the Cupid Bow it only has one shot. You can throw the cupid arrow and that works fine but it's one shot only as well. It makes anything into a friend, and monsters become ridable.

I summoned the Giant Enemy Crab (Just 'Giant Crab' doesn't do it) and it wanted to eat me, but Cupid made it ridable. I also noticed that the Giant Enemy Crab becomes neutral if there's a regular crab there. I guess it's a mommy. ^.^

Santa is also pretty cool, if you summon him he gives everybody presents.

Sometimes adjectives work, sometimes not. Flaming sword works, for example. Also much as I guessed earlier, you can make Zombie Repellent, or any kind of repellent I think. Just put the name of the creature you want to repel in front. Unfortunately it only knocks them out for a few seconds, it doesn't actually repel them. Actually I just tried Cthulhu Repellent to test that, and after it knocked him out he became non-violent and ridable. I heard some people had been using clorophorm to make critters ridable so maybe that's the trick.

That's all the really cool stuff I've tried so far. Does anybody without access to the game want me to try anything?
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:50 pm

After using a tractor beam, an elevator, and wings, it finally dawned on me that I could just call the cat to me, with milk.

Scribblenauts: the game that shows you that you are too clever by half.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Relee » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:59 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:After using a tractor beam, an elevator, and wings, it finally dawned on me that I could just call the cat to me, with milk.

Scribblenauts: the game that shows you that you are too clever by half.

The cat one was in an ad where they were showing different versions, so I made cat food, and a mouse, and I also did a ladder so that I could climb up and fetch the cat, because drawing it down was too easy.

I like the Tractor Beam but it's ENORMOUS, isn't it? It's hard to fit it anywhere. ^.^;;
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monthenor » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:35 pm

Warning: you are not ready for this jelly.

My over-sized cranium strikes again. First I can't find a fedora that fits, now the chicken hat is painful to wear :(
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Plasman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:02 am

Is wearing the hat a necessary part of the game? ;]
Either way, I'd wear it. Hell, I'd wear it to work!...

(and then I'd get a lovely ride to the group home)
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Relee » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Hah, if you use Toast on Cat it makes a black hole. XD
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wizard CaT » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:26 am

I've heard a few complaints that the puzzles repeat and everything can be fixed with a black hole and helicopter.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Relee » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:44 am

Well I'm less than a third into the puzzles so far. None has been a carbon copy, though the easy "Give two of these four professionals something they would normally use!" was followed up by "Give Santa Claus something he would like that he doesn't have here.". Creativity is either rewarded or punished, depending on if you were more or less creative than the creators. ^.^;;

On the other hand there are several missions I haven't completed once, forget three times.

My biggest complaint is the one everyone was worried about, having only indirect control over Maxwell is terrible. You might be trying to tie a rope to an object and accidentally tell Maxwell to jump off a cliff, that happens pretty regularly. It's very difficult to do precice control. When you want to interact, you'll move. When you want to move, you'll interact. The world doesn't freeze when you're trying to decide if you want to shoot the zombie, or just interact with him. It could get unbearably frustrating to a particularly sensitive person, there's going to be a lot of times you die that aren't really your fault, and I know some folks would break their DS in half over that.

The other problem is that you can re-use items when you're not supposed to be able to. Helicopter, Chopper and Gyrocopter work in each re-play as if they were different items. Someone on Reddit said that even different spellings do it, like Large Helicopter, Small Helicopter and Space Helicopter would work, even though they aren't actually on 'the list', because they contain the word Helicopter and are written differently. So, that kinda sucks. But at the same time, you can still force yourself to play by the rules, if you want to, and video games have had cheat codes since before I was born.

A lot of folks complained about there not being more than three interactions between objects, or something, but that's complete bullshit. There is an insane amount of specific interactions between various objects. Not everything has a specific reaction to every object, but more do than I expected, and that's a lot.

I've run into a couple freeze bugs too so the programming isn't 100% solid. I'm not sure how it works though. ^.^;;
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wic » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:47 am

I just noticed you can fly with a reindeer. You can also ride a dragon if you saddle it first. Reindeer is the best flyable, it's easy to control and is small. But if you saddle a reindeer then it loses it's flying ability. Intereeeesting. I guess that's why there are no flying laplanders.
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Relee » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:15 am

You can ride just about anything. If you use the Cupid Bow on it, you don't need a saddle. You can ride a dragon or a giant enemy crab from real ancient japanese history or cthulhu if you want to. Sphinx and Pegasus are both ridable flyers as well.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Previous

Return to Games and Gaming