Splosion Man - My God It's Full of Hams

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Splosion Man - My God It's Full of Hams

Postby Monthenor » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:09 pm

Here I go again, making a game topic that I'll probably never look at again. This time I'm evangelizing 'Splosion Man from Twisted Pixel Games...you may remember them from the delightful The Maw earlier this year.

There's a demo up on XBL that everybody with an Xbox should go get. It sold me on the game pretty hard, and fortunately I happened to have exactly the 800 billy bucks ($10) they wanted. The premise is that you are a psychotic being made entirely of explosions, and you blow things up. For example, you can blow up scientists into hams (I am very sorry about the condescending announcer in that video).

Where The Maw is a classic Pixar movie, 'Splosion Man reminds me very strongly of Freakazoid.

EEEEEEDIT: Oh hey here's the direct URL for the official game page. Always remember to donate your pets for science.
Last edited by Monthenor on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Re: Splosion Man - My God It's Full of Hams

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:26 pm

I got it the morning it came out. I loved The Maw, just adored it, and 'Splosion Man is also a big, huge, pile of absolute fun on a bun.

It gets Mega-Man tough, though. Be warned. You can skip levels that are too hard, if you want. Wimp.

You can't go far wrong with a game whose complete control scheme consists entirely of just four buttons, all marked "SPLODE".
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby draque » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:03 am

Yeah, it does get pretty rough later on, but it's an example of a game that knew enough to do away with the outmoded concept of "lives." Overall the game is fantastic. The sense of humor in it is as lighthearted and fun as I've encountered in any other game. ^^
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monthenor » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:35 am

That was probably the greatest video game ending in the history of video game endings. Goes way beyond Portal and You Have to Burn the Rope.

I may not go back for all the cakes, but I will always remember this game as one of the greats.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Ashes » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:04 am

My XBox-having friends insisted I play the demo. It was a lot of fun. It is a pure platformer in the vein of N: Way Of The Ninja, and it is well executed with amusing graphics.

But it didn't blow my mind like Lost Winds did.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Monthenor » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:18 am

The demo does a good job of selling the premise, but all the best comedy beats are saved for the game proper. The ending is amazing, and...I think it's 1-12? Introduces the most important character besides Splosion Man.

If you're unsure, just wait till one of your friends buys it and mooch off his console.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby draque » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:18 am

Monthenor wrote:If you're unsure, just wait till one of your friends buys it and mooch off his console.

Here's the way that my friends and I all do it... one of us will buy and download the game on someone else's console. As long as they don't delete it from that console (the one on which is was purchased), everyone who logs into it will be able to play the game. On the home console, the buyer logs in and downloads it a second time. On the buyer's console, only the account of the actual person who bought the game is able to play it. It effectively doubles purchasing power. ^^
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monthenor » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:31 pm

I not only went back for all the cakes, I just beat the game on Hardcore. I love this game SO MUCH.

Anybody want to hook up for some multiplayer? I still haven't touched that at all. Friday night sometime?
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Ashes » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:03 pm

Played some co-op levels in the full version of the game. Splosion Man has truly challenging co-op levels that actually require intense cooperation. It's great. I love it.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Wic » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:32 am

It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Monthenor » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:09 am

Oh right, that was the other one. I knew there was another blow-myself-up game coming but I couldn't remember the name. Explodemon, hm. It looks more like a regular platformer than Splosion Man's puzzly levels. Maybe they can coexist.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Return to Games and Gaming