An Elysian Tail

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

An Elysian Tail

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:19 pm

In development for Xbox, under XNA (indie) is this wonder I just discovered on my fave gaming site, Gaygamer.net

It's a 2D sidescroller ala Odin Sphere and Princess Crown, and its furry, which is even better. Fox-fairies and wolf-ninja and other awesome stuff. Really, really beautiful, too. I can't wait!!!

See it in action:

http://gaygamer.net/2009/08/video_xna_game_dust_an_elysian.html

Here's the official site - apparently it will also be a traditionally animated film, too:

http://www.elysiantail.com/

But here's the kicker: one man is making this game, alone, and he only picked up programming for the first time 8 months ago.

Mother-of-fuck. I feel so damnably stupid and useless compared to that. Jeebus.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Re: An Elysian Tail

Postby Ashes » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:one man is making this game, alone, and he only picked up programming for the first time 8 months ago.

Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Relee » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:17 pm

Programming is excessively easy, compared to drawing. Drawing takes skill and talent, but programming computers, especially in the modern era, isn't any more difficult than assembling lego bricks. I wrote my first programs when I was five years old, on a Commodore 64.

Of course, there are some people who can't assemble lego bricks, either...

As for me, I just rushed over to the forum to tell you all about it and link the trailer, and you already went and did that so FEH. XD

It looks terribly FUN, besides being pretty, huh?
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Coda » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:56 pm

I always say that programming is a skill that anyone can learn, but engineering is a talent.

This guy is proof. He's obviously got the natural talent for problem solving, critical thinking, and engineering, so all it REALLY took was to be given the structure and tools to work with it.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby draque » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:44 pm

I've been following the work on the movie for years, but I didn't know that he was going to make it into a game as well... hopefully this means that the movie is nearing completion, and I'm excited to see the game in action. ^^
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:50 pm

Relee wrote:Programming is excessively easy, compared to drawing. Drawing takes skill and talent, but programming computers, especially in the modern era, isn't any more difficult than assembling lego bricks. I wrote my first programs when I was five years old, on a Commodore 64.

%<

It took me about eight months to cobble together this POS in BASIC:
with two enemies, one weapon, four screens, no scrolling, no enemy path finding, and an HP meter hacked in at the very end before I gave up. It also never ran on anything but my own Mac.

It's not easy.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Idiot Glee » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:09 pm

Oh nothing is really easy, people just enjoy putting the time in to learn certain things more than others.

Some people really enjoy reading about manifold space, programming, cultural differences between immigrants and their children, economics, history, etc... Some people find it a slogging bore.

It's all about interest; if it fascinates you, you'll study it to perfection.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Ashes » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:14 pm

Emily, do you think I find programming to be a slogging bore?
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Coda » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:20 pm

Hey, Ashes, after 8 months of programming I wasn't outputting anything NEAR that good. (Then again, after 8 months of programming... I was 6.) Seriously, though, don't be ashamed of what you've got there -- the last top-down engine I tried to do (would have been back in high school) looked about that good, and while it could do scrolling I spent a couple months ON THE SCROLLING ALONE, and it couldn't do any sort of combat (because it was an RPG engine, so it had a separate battle screen that really stunk).

Edit: I like how yours looks, visually, better than I EVER liked mine.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Wic » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:09 am

Basic doesn't have engines, tools or anything to help you in the way. I doubt the guy just opened C and started hacking everything from scratch.

Damn that animation looks fluid. Except for the running cycle.
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Tychomonger » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:12 am

The reason this guy can output that kind of high quality game within 8 months, is that he is using a very high level library, the XNA development kit. X-Box Live provides most of the basic engine type stuff premade for you. All that it takes to make a good (if not very novel) platforming brawler game in XNA is a creative premise and the artistic flourish to make the animations look nice.

At least, according to my professor. I have never used XNA myself, but he has. He maligns it for stifling true innovation by giving everyone a set of standard parts you can just click into standard slots. He is a big proponent of learning to program from the bottom up (big plus if you end up writing your own libraries!)
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Coda » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:19 am

Your professor's idealism is misguided. While being able to build stuff from the ground up is a sign of skill, it's also a waste of time. When every developer has to reinvent the wheel, the world gains nothing.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Tychomonger » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:32 am

Of course. I said nothing about not using these libraries. The idea is to learn from the bottom up. If you can deeply understand the tools you are using, you can replace them with ones you crafted yourself if the need arises. After all, someone has to make the tools everyone uses.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Coda » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:26 am

Oh, that's absolutely true. I'm a library developer myself. It IS important to understand the whole stack.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Ashes » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:01 pm

Coda wrote:Hey, Ashes, after 8 months of programming I wasn't outputting anything NEAR that good. (Then again, after 8 months of programming... I was 6.)

I started programming when I was a kid too. I made that game while saving up money for community college. It was made with MetaL BASIC, which does have some built in support for making games.

The reason this guy can output that kind of high quality game within 8 months, is that he is using a very high level library, the XNA development kit. X-Box Live provides most of the basic engine type stuff premade for you. All that it takes to make a good (if not very novel) platforming brawler game in XNA is a creative premise and the artistic flourish to make the animations look nice.

Hearing that's makes me feel better.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Mitsukara » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:28 pm

So much time spent using Click and Create, even when trying to make my own platformer engine instead of using the crappy built in one... but no finished projects to show for it -.-

Well, not yet anyway. Destroy the curse, and I'll rule Brahm's Mansion!

Perhaps one day I'll try learning to program a real-er way though. Maybe. Other things I want to do first ^^
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby macksting » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:54 am

Mitsukara wrote:Well, not yet anyway. Destroy the curse, and I'll rule Brahm's Mansion!

As long as you don't look into the Death Star.
macksting
Cunning Linguist

Postby Plasman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:36 am

Mitsukara wrote:So much time spent using Click and Create, even when trying to make my own platformer engine instead of using the crappy built in one... but no finished projects to show for it

I doubt you're the only one in that situation... :sweatbead:
Actually I did get some of my GamesFac games done, but I spent forever tweaking them to my satisfaction... and now they look like the obsolete trash they (probably) are. :depressed: (I'm still gonna share them anyway, bugger the dated tech.)
Having said that, though, making games is way more educational than playing the damn things. It's arguably more fun, too!
Last edited by Plasman on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:56 pm

Heh, there are very few projects I've ever actually finished. The fact that Bagatelle is in the state it's in is a miracle.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Monthenor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:16 pm

I will say that trying to create an engine from the ground up sucks donkey sack. And I never got it quite right, ever. I really need to look into the XNA libraries, because I need to make the finest unlicensed Avatar game that ever came out of my head.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Next

Return to Games and Gaming