Shadow Complex - Metroid with Punching

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Shadow Complex - Metroid with Punching

Postby Monthenor » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:36 am

Dude, forget Splosion Man. This week's XBLA release is Shadow Complex, the most refined take on Super Metroid since Super Metroid.

So you're this average guy, right? Except you've been pushed by your military father into all sorts of combat training most of your life, and you went on a hiking date and stumbled into an underground weapons factory, and now a paramilitary force is trying to kill you with Tachikoma. Forget the plot, the plot is dumb. This game is Metroid, rendered in 3D, played in 2D.

Everybody with an Xbox should get the demo, because hey free Metroid. But all that's doing is wasting time you could be playing the full game. Wasting time you could be using to sneak up and stealth-punch soldiers, crawl through ventilation ducts, and collect missile upgrades. Jenny, put down the Left 4 Dead for a day and try this out :P

Look at this!

I would have made this thread two days ago but I was busy 100%ing the game. Literally every moment of free time from Wednesday through midnight on Friday was given over to exploring this bad boy backwards and forwards.

This is the game that Other M should be and probably won't be.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the first thing you should do is go to your map screen and turn the blue helper line off.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Re: Shadow Complex - Metroid with Punching

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:28 pm

I bought Shadow Complex the first hour it was available, and I and Elde have been playing it to death since. It is really amazing, photo-realistic side-scrolling joy, I have to say.

Yes, the plot sucks (as expected, from Orson Scott Card, that homophobic asshole), but the gameplay is pure absolute awesome.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Re: Shadow Complex - Metroid with Punching

Postby Monthenor » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:44 pm

It's not Card's fault, actually. Chair came up with the concept and started making the game, and then they approached Card to write the novels around it. That's the decision that doesn't make any sense. Apparently nobody in the company ever read past Ender's Game.

The game itself wasn't even written by Card.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Return to Games and Gaming