Made of Myth

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Made of Myth

Postby Plasman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:12 pm

I saw a link to this site while over at Sonic Retro:
MADE OF MYTH - from Amusement Magazine

The iconic figures of the videogame world weren't just invented the way they'd have us believe. Here's the real story.
Tetris
When Alexei Pajitnov first ordered a load of bricks from Karpov Abramtsevo's workshop, workers there were wondering who could be interested in all those right-angled blocks. No one in 1985 could have imagined those concrete Tetriminos would become world famous and constitute Russia's deadliest weapon against Reagan's America.

This picture is big so apologies if it doesn't fit within the forum form... ;]
Take a look and see how other games, like Arkanoid and Sonic the Hedgehog were "built"... :mrgreen:
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: Made of Myth

Postby Ashes » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:17 pm

This is awesome. Needs more illustrations though.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Plasman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:26 am

Did you check out the link? There's only about five images (and you have to scroll sideways to see them all).

Here's another one. You might need to right-click and select "View Image" to see it all.

You're right, Ashes, they shoulda done some more. They could have easily done a microscopic slide for Dr Mario. :P
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Ashes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:45 am

Plasman wrote:scroll sideways

Sideways! The text was so vertical that I didn't think to scroll sideways. Thankyou.

My favorite is the Sonic rings, because they never explain where those rings come from in the game. The Mario mushrooms grow naturally. The Arkanoid bricks are part of a space fortress or something (although the original Breakout is explainless). The Tetris blocks are part of a wall that's building you in Soviet Russia. Pong is just an electronic game of ping pong. But those gold rings in Sonic games are a complete mystery! Until now!
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Coda » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:05 pm

Ashes wrote:(although the original Breakout is explainless)

According to the game manual and the cabinet art on the arcade machines, it's a jailbreak.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Ashes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:31 pm

Such ephemera
It is so easily lost
Changing history
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Plasman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:49 am

Arkanoid's backstory... What I liked was how they included the "Vaus" in the Arkanoid illustration. I didn't notice until I had a closer look at the shiny thing leaning against the wall to the right.

Okay, so we now know how the rings were made. What I want to know is how a bunch of metal rings are supposed to protect me from getting attacked and killed? IT'S JUST GOLD.

Yet, smashing open a TV screen to get a shield or fancy shoes... is totally believable. ;]

So... which other games deserve illustrating, do you think?
I already said Dr Mario, but I'd also like to see Pac Man (set in a haunted pharmacy!).
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alfador » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:44 am

I don't remember right (awfully hazy memory since it's been years) but I think Sonic's uncle created the rings and infused them with the power of Chaos Emeralds, and also created Sonic's shoes out of a material that wouldn't burn up when running at supersonic speeds.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:42 pm

That sounds about right, if I recall correctly. The TV show had the power rings being extruded by some shiny rock.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Wizard CaT » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:15 pm

Plasman wrote:Arkanoid's backstory... What I liked was how they included the "Vaus" in the Arkanoid illustration. I didn't notice until I had a closer look at the shiny thing leaning against the wall to the right.

Okay, so we now know how the rings were made. What I want to know is how a bunch of metal rings are supposed to protect me from getting attacked and killed? IT'S JUST GOLD.

Yet, smashing open a TV screen to get a shield or fancy shoes... is totally believable. ;]

So... which other games deserve illustrating, do you think?
I already said Dr Mario, but I'd also like to see Pac Man (set in a haunted pharmacy!).

Their POWER rings!!!!11 Plus damn man Gold is like 1k an ounce.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Plasman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:15 am

For some reason, I read that as "1kg an ounce" - but how the )): would that work? Unless of course they WERE magic rings...

And what's this story about "how it all began"? The game itself never detailed how everything came about. Basically all they supplied by way of back-story was "Dr Robotnik steals a buncha animals and makes a buncha robots, and Sonic has to defeat him". And depending on which game you are playing, or which series you are watching, or which comic book or story book you are reading... you could have any number of "Sonic's origin" stories that have nothing to do with each other.

Depending on who you ask, Sonic is serious ^^+ . It's almost as bad as the Zelda Timeline catalogers. :roll:
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Return to Games and Gaming