Space Hulk (40k boardgame)

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Space Hulk (40k boardgame)

Postby draque » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:02 am

I'm curious if anyone else here has heard of/played the Warhammer 40k game Space Hulk. I recently just picked up a copy of the newly released edition and I'm absolutely in love with the thing. I still haven't painted any of the minis, but I'm busily looking for new missions that people have created online, and trying to figure out some good multiplayer rules for a 1 vs. many game (one player as gene stealers, each other player controls a squad of marines).

I know that there are a lot of other board gaming nerds besides myself, so if anyone has rules/a link to a good multiplayer setup for the game, could you link me?
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Re: Space Hulk (40k boardgame)

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:22 am

draque wrote:I'm curious if anyone else here has heard of/played the Warhammer 40k game Space Hulk. I recently just picked up a copy of the newly released edition and I'm absolutely in love with the thing. I still haven't painted any of the minis, but I'm busily looking for new missions that people have created online, and trying to figure out some good multiplayer rules for a 1 vs. many game (one player as gene stealers, each other player controls a squad of marines).

I know that there are a lot of other board gaming nerds besides myself, so if anyone has rules/a link to a good multiplayer setup for the game, could you link me?

I bought it and it is gorgeous, just beautiful. I've been too sick to do anything with it other than punch out the beautifully debossed tiles and a few door-frames. I have read the rules a lot. I think I have the idea, slowly getting stored in my flu-muddled head.

But I'll tell you one thought I have had:

I have trouble with complex calculations. You know, stuff like comparing numbers and deriving a table result. Yeccch. I suck at that stuff.

I like the simple battle system in Space Hulk. Roll two dice, any sixes is a successful marine shot. Three dice, any sixes, for genestealer melee attacks. Marines only get one die in melee, or two or three if they have power weapons, because their specialty is guns. I like that. I can imagine adapting that notion for all the races of 40K (three dice shot for Tau? Two dice + reroll for Eldar maybe?) for an action-point variant of basic game play that is not on a hulk!

What about a skirmish on flat ground, on planet, where facing matters, and AP are spent and command points are used, for squads, using the simple battle mechanic (adapted a bit) for play? I think that could rock! Fast, brutal battles with wonderful strategy - your move in inches being derived from Action Points, for instance. It's something I am thinking about.

Fast, simple, easy, casual 40k. You could call it 'Casual 40K' or even "40K The boardgame"! I'm just sayin' is all. It would be more fun with less work, perhaps, and really easy for poor-calculating dunderheads like me!
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby draque » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:59 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:I have trouble with complex calculations. You know, stuff like comparing numbers and deriving a table result. Yeccch. I suck at that stuff.

I like the simple battle system in Space Hulk. Roll two dice, any sixes is a successful marine shot. Three dice, any sixes, for genestealer melee attacks. Marines only get one die in melee, or two or three if they have power weapons, because their specialty is guns. I like that. I can imagine adapting that notion for all the races of 40K (three dice shot for Tau? Two dice + reroll for Eldar maybe?) for an action-point variant of basic game play that is not on a hulk!

Honestly, that seems like a fantastic idea to me. My biggest complain about 40K styled mini games (other than the cost) is that the gameplay seems bogged down by unnecessarily complex and tedious dice rolling and calculation. A system like the one in Space Hulk is very lean. Single rules serve multiple purposes and the result is simpler game play without a sacrifice of depth. Anyone can make a very complex game, but when I come across one that's elegant like Space Hulk, I don't fail to appreciate it.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:51 pm

I don't like 40k for a variety of reasons, and I haven't gotten the chance to play Space Hulk, but I love the ideaspace where various kinds of games meet. Board games, miniatures games, roleplaying games, card games, and videogames can all learn a lot from each other. Trying to keep them "pure" would be like trying to prevent chemists and physicists from talking to each other. Cross-pollination is nothing but beneficial to ludology!

I'd love to see RPGs that are as easy to pick-up-and-play as Space Hulk or (for an example I've actually played) HeroScape.
Ashes
Melon Class

Return to Games and Gaming