Music GunGun

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Music GunGun

Postby Relee » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:17 am

I don't like Rhythm Games and I don't like Rail Shooters, yet somehow putting them together makes a game I'd kind of like to try!

Unfortunately I really doubt Music GunGun is ever going to be in North America, and even if it was, I don't exactly get out to arcades very much. ^.^;;

Check it Out

And no I'm not just interested because it's cute. I don't like rhythm games because just tapping buttons in time with the music is boring, and I don't like rail shooters because being dragged around and having monsters pop out at me is scary. But, having a shooting target for the rhythm game gets rid of the button play, and having happy music and cutesy monsters takes away the scary aspects.

I find the idea that one of the songs in this game is the opening theme to Neon Genesis Evangelion totally hilarious, though. Can you imagine an army of cutesy critters attacking you while you're blowing the crap out of them with your magic music handgun and in the background is the theme of a bloody carnage-fest like NGE? I guess it would look something like this.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Re: Music GunGun

Postby Coda » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:49 am

Tapping buttons is definitely less interesting than stomping panels or waving your hand over sensors. In my opinion the most enjoyable part of a rhythm game is what you get to do with it. (That said, I do still like Beatmania and Ouendan.)

This game makes the action "shoot things with lazors!" so that's awesomeness.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Relee » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:37 pm

Yeah I just don't get games like Pop'n'Music where you just tap coloured buttons as they fall down the screen, a lot of rhythm games have interesting video going on but you can't see any of it because you're focused on this little 'game screen' to make sure you don't miss any dots. In a game like this, you have to focus on the action so that you can target the enemies for your beat-blasts.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Coda » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Well, for me at least I like the feeling of being synchronized with the music. I guess you could say I have a musical soul -- note the nickname.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Relee » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:54 am

I have no idea what a Coda actually is. ^.^;;
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Coda » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:25 am

Relee wrote:I have no idea what a Coda actually is. ^.^;;

It's the ending of a song, particularly the part that's different from the main body. It's represented by a symbol that resembles an O with a + through it:

(I wish I could have found a smaller image.)
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby marinschild » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:53 am

There are a lot of musical terms that people don't know. I think it is because they are mostly Italian words. There are so many older terms that were used to describe sections and styles of music that it is crazy.

Incidentally, Coda is also the name of the last real Zeppelin album to be released. It is so much better than In Through The Outdoor.
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby Alfador » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:54 am

marinschild wrote:

There are a lot of musical terms that people don't know. I think it is because they are mostly Italian words. There are so many older terms that were used to describe sections and styles of music that it is crazy.

Incidentally, Coda is also the name of the last real Zeppelin album to be released. It is so much better than In Through The Outdoor.

I learned a lot of those terms because I played violin when I was very small, then piano, then briefly clarinet in the elementary school band, then violin again in the high school orchestra. Each time I gave up after developing considerable skill, because I didn't have the drive to make more than a hobby out of it, and if I continued I would be pressured to do far more with it. Mom still wants me to go into choir or something because I enjoy singing... but I just don't want to do much more than sing with friends or alone. As for a creative hobby... I do write occasionally, and Mom also suggested taking up sewing so I could make my own plushies or fursuit. ;]

da capo al fine: Go back to the beginning, and play till you see "fine" which is the end of the song. Basically it means the music is written like "AB" and is meant to be played "ABA".
dal sigma al coda: Go back to the sigma symbol, which is not the Greek sigma but a weird S with dots (more dots more dots), and play until you see "to coda" at which point you jump to the coda symbol. So the music is written "ABCD" with sigma between A and B, to coda between B and C, and the dal sigma al coda and coda between C and D, and is played "ABCBD". I think. It's been a while. The principles of capo, sigma, fine, and coda can of course be interchanged for different arrangements, such as da capo al coda for ABC :arrow: ABAC. I think.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:22 pm

It's "dal segno," which means "the sign." ;)
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby strange_person » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:36 pm

Alfador wrote:da capo al fine: Go back to the beginning, and play till you see "fine" which is the end of the song. Basically it means the music is written like "AB" and is meant to be played "ABA".
dal sigma al coda: Go back to the sigma symbol, which is not the Greek sigma but a weird S with dots (more dots more dots), and play until you see "to coda" at which point you jump to the coda symbol. So the music is written "ABCD" with sigma between A and B, to coda between B and C, and the dal sigma al coda and coda between C and D, and is played "ABCBD". I think. It's been a while. The principles of capo, sigma, fine, and coda can of course be interchanged for different arrangements, such as da capo al coda for ABC :arrow: ABAC. I think.
All of these were, essentially, data-compression schemes for composers who wanted to save time and money back when transcription could only be done by hand.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Coda » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:44 am

But even in modern times it makes it more obvious that the content is intended to be the same, which helps the musicians too.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Ashes » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:15 pm

I was hoping for a shooting game controlled with a guitar (like in Macross), but this looks fun too!
Ashes
Melon Class

Return to Games and Gaming