Coropata

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Coropata

Postby strange_person » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:25 pm

http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/10/01/hands-on-coropata-ds/
Delightfully free of both hype and epic lines, Lukplus's Coropata proved to be one of the most pleasant surprises of TGS 2009. The DS adventure game looks at first like any of a million chibi anime games, but proved to be a light-hearted Japanese take on the Incredible Machine-meets-Lemmings gameplay most recently found in LucasArts' upcoming Lucidity.

Each puzzle in Coropata gives you a limited number of items in your inventory, like a single wooden platform or two basketballs, to use in order to help a blue-haired girl get to the goal. Additionally, other objects, including scissors and baseballs, are pre-littered throughout each stage, and their positions can't be changed. The girl automatically interacts with any object she comes across: if there's a ball, she throws it; if there's a banana peel, she slips, delaying her progress for a few seconds.

The first few levels I played involved placing platforms over chasms and placing a ball in just the right position for the girl to throw it and hit a target. Since that kind of aim is hard to predict, the game allows you to play, stop, and edit the level at any time through a menu on the side of the bottom screen.

The puzzles seemed pretty simple at first, but then I got to around the fourth level and instantly became overwhelmed with the complexity. The particular level included (among other things) a platform swinging from two ropes next to a suspended scissor, followed by a stairwell-like series of platforms leading down to a goal on the bottom left of the screen. Meanwhile, a baseball rolled, seemingly uselessly, on the top of the screen. The booth attendant showed me the incredibly cool solution, which required placing both platforms right next to the first step of the "stairwell," changing the angles of the boards, and causing the baseball to roll down right in front of the girl's feet. She picked it up and threw it, hitting the scissors just as the swinging platform came by. The rope snapped, and the platform dropped down a floor, making a bridge straight to the goal.

Perhaps it isn't surprising for one of my favorite games of the show to be a quirky, virtually unknown DS title. Coropata's inventiveness (and, I must admit, its extraordinary cuteness) made a greater impression on me than just about anything else I played at TGS. If only it had been developed by a company with a known relationship with a US publisher ... As it is, there's no way to predict whether or not this little gem will ever leave Japan.

Coropata's Japanese release is scheduled for December 24.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Re: Coropata

Postby Ashes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:29 pm

So adorable! I need to get this game... right after getting Spirit Tracks... and Scribblenauts... and Professor Layton 2, and Megaman ZX Advent 2, and half a dozen other fucking fantastic games on the DS >_<
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Relee » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:50 am

Oh neat! A japanese take on The Incredible Machine!
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Plasman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:57 am

I loved Lemmings and TIM, so this game sounds awesome. I just hope the difficulty curve isn't as steep as it sounded on the demo. :sweatbead:

When it rains, it pours, eh? Suddenly there's about 30-odd DS games coming out on the market that are actually worth playing! (It's beginning to look a lot like the Christmas Shopping Period...)
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Mitsukara » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:03 pm

When one is poor, one must choose what one wishes to endorse while it's still a new product by paying for it (my two personal qualifiers are that it be something I wholly endorse, and something which does not have 100% ensured sales success; if it's already insanely successful it doesn't need help quite as badly as other things).

Then, when time has passed and the products are old, a person can go back and retrieve them for lower prices. Or something like that. *cough*

In other words, if you buy something while it's new, it supports it... if you buy something used or otherwise obtain it, the money doesn't go directly to it's creators and licensers. So I propose that if it's too hard to decide, you first purchase the things you really want to endorse/think might need some help with their sales numbers. Kinda like voting, except that you want all the candidates and you can solicit them later. Or find some illegal clones of the candidates...
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Return to Games and Gaming