cliche-breaking FPS

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Re: cliche-breaking FPS

Postby strange_person » Wed May 07, 2008 10:27 am

Yeah, that definitely qualifies.

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote: ancient China

That could be interesting. I mean, there's gunpowder, there's longbows, there's repeating crossbows, and of course all the different kinds of swords and polearms.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby strange_person » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:23 pm

strange_person wrote: I can picture a system whereby you switch between macro-movement (running around like normal) and micro-movement (select and move your own body parts one at a time). For example, if you're running along and then suddenly realize you're in a minefield, you can aim the camera down. switch to left leg, pick out a patch of ground that doesn't look like a mine, put your foot down, switch to right leg, pick out a patch of ground a bit closer to your objective, and so on. Move your feet too far apart and you risk losing your balance. Same thing would work for, say, checking for (or constructing) booby-traps around a door, except that you're using arms instead of legs. Non-selected limbs stay in position, except as necessary to maintain balance, or in response to pain; if you look like you're about to fall over, a squadmate can grab something to stabilize you, or you can switch to 'torso' and try to rebalance yourself without moving.

*jumps out of the shower, runs naked across the internet*
Eureka!

It's already been done.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby strange_person » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:19 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:I would say that is a cliche-breaker. I would say that is the first cliche breaker for the FPS... so far. Ever. Portal is it. Portal turns the entire genre on it's ear.

Also it's got lesbians.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby strange_person » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:12 am

Relee wrote: barrels that you merely open instead of blowing up.

Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby strange_person » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:51 am

How about this:

Each player starts out as a Tokamak reactor, a computer core in the center, and a fabricator (which can build anything but another fusion reactor or fabricator) around the outside.

The map is a labyrinth of welded-together shipping containers and other debris, in orbit around a mysterious planet. Two or more factions are fighting for salvage rights over the heavy elements and encapsulated singularities contained therein.

Each faction has attached a landing pod, which contains a spawner (capable of building reactors and fabricators, but nothing else). When a player-character's computer core is disabled, they are reloaded into a newly-constructed reactor/fabricator unit at the landing pod.

There are no power-ups. A character's inventory is limited only by how much mass the thrusters can move, how many subsystems the reactor can provide power to, how much waste heat the radiators can deal with.

There are, however, resources. Eleven elements: hydrogen, tritium, helium, carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, silicon, titanium, iron, copper, plutonium. The current supply of each is displayed as a composite bar graph like a three-pronged downward-facing fork.

<H | T>
<He | C >
<N | O>
<Si | Ti>
Fe | Cu | Pu

The reactor produces higher-number elements from lower-number ones. Most of the time, it's a simple matter of fusing a few hydrogen or tritium to the next lower element, which releases energy. However, progressively higher elements release less energy, until finally the production of iron is break-even and copper or plutonium production operates at a loss.

The closest thing to ammo or weapon pickups are data crystals and encapsulated singularities.
A data crystal contains holgraphic blueprints; find one and pick it up, you can use your fabber to create the device described therein. Carry it back to the spawner, and everyone on your team can use it. You can also buy or sell data crystals between missions.
An encapsulated singularity is a black hole with a buckyball-shaped safety cage around it. Grab the cage and push to move it around (but bear in mind it's really massive), or dump heavy elements into the accretion disk and then collect hydrogen from the jets. It's also possible to force enemy bots through the cage, in which case they are reprocessed into monatomic hydrogen, same as anything else.

The objective of any given level is to outmaneuver or disable the opposing team, detach or disable their landing pod, and then trim the remaining wreckage into something small enough to drag home.

The objective of the larger campaign is to earn salvage points from your parent organization. Everyone on the team earns a share of the overall salvage, based mostly on metal content of the map-section you dragged home, and individuals can earn extra by retrieving data crystals or intact tokamaks (corpses, your own or the enemy's). You lose points for getting killed (the replacement cost of your central reactor) and using up tritium.

The landing pod contains tanks of tritium and hydrogen, and when you respawn, you decide how much of each to bring with you. However, the main purpose of the tanks is remass. The more light elements you use up in the process of securing a site, the less delta-V your pod has, which might force you to reduce the payload mass (cut off more of the map, resulting in a reduced bounty), or take a slower route home, or even the truly Pyrrhic victory of commissioning a rescue team.

Personal equipment is customizable, in a Spore-like system, but based on radial rather than bilateral symmetry. Collecting additional data crystals unlocks variants with greater efficiency.

To start out, you're a little floating donut. You can vent hydrogen for thrust and cooling, extend your spaghetti-like fabber tenrils to eat or pull yourself along a ladder, and manipulate your reactor's magnetic containment field to adjust the rate of reaction or use it like a gyroscope.
Upgrades fit in five basic categories:
<> Plating (armor, passive camouflage, radiators for closed-cycle cooling)
<> Jets (more efficient open-cycle cooling, proper fusion rocketry, high-energy particle beams)
<> Lights (sensors, coherent-energy weapons, thrust without remass)
<> Slugs (railguns, thrust without a glowing trail, long-range grapplers and tethers)
<> Shields (active camo, bounce high-speed projectiles, spectacular self-destruction)

Jets combined with lights unlock laser-guided missiles. Jets combined with slugs unlock TOW missiles.

All weapons can be set on high or low power.
High-power plasma tends to cut neat slices, while low-power plasma tends to become turbulent and leave a big splattery glowing hole.
High-power lasers burn while low-power lasers merely illuminate or blind.
High-power slugs are relativistic pellets that crush almost anything, but bounce off of shields, while low-power slugs are more like rifle bullets and can penetrate shields with ease.
High-power missiles detonate on proximity, releasing a burst of white-hot fragments, but only knock back a shielded target rather than causing structural damage, while low-power missiles are contact-detonated concussion warheads that can't effectively damage anything other than shielded targets. Hitting an unshielded enemy with a low-yield missile is effectively a taunt.

Shooing a shield with coherent energy causes the bot inside the shield to rapidly overheat and explode. As the shield collapses, it releases a focused jet of plasma along the trajectory of the incoming laser. The obvious way to stop the plasma from destroying whatever's wielding the laser would be to have a shield up, but if they did, the laser would have intersected their own shield first. The other option is to fire the laser in a 'bank shot' using the gravitational lensing from an encapsulated singularity. In that case, there will still be splashback, but it will be more diffuse and thus more survivable.

The simplest way to play the game is, you build a custom bot with the best tech and materials you can afford, pick a role to complement your squadmates in the rock-paper-scissors side of things, set your open-cycle cooling on 'auto,' and charge into battle crawling like a spider. Once both sides are somewhat entrenched. cut structural elements until the pod says it's light enough, then get everyone on your team back safe in the spawner and hit the auto-return. Don't worry about microgravity maneuvering, mid-battle reconfiguration, or even ammo; just play it like a shoot-em-up or a tower-defense game.

More advanced strategies involve tricks like welding stuff together and shoving encapsulated singularities into unstable orbits so the opposing team is forced to choose between returning empty-handed, or getting their fist stuck in the proverbial pickle jar and burning up in the atmosphere.
And then there's the political side of things: it's possible to switch sides mid-battle, which lets you keep whatever you can carry and ignore any debts to your previous employer, but ruins your credit rating (meaning that assets you don't bring into battle will earn less interest, and future debts will be more expensive).
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Previous

Return to Games and Gaming