cliche-breaking FPS

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Re: cliche-breaking FPS

Postby strange_person » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:07 pm

Alfador wrote:That sounds like a ton of fun, actually. I can imagine, though, the tactic of suicide sniping: You see a shielded enemy with a bunch of enemies all bunched up, and pop off a lasgun shot, killing yourself but probably taking half a dozen enemies with you.
One more reason not to stand next to anyone who thinks they're invincible.

Perhaps if you've got a sheild of your own, it protects you from the splash effect when someone else's shield collapses. In that case, lasgun-sniping a team with all sheilds would be like chess: one of yours for one of theirs. Sometimes a useful tactic, especially if the guy with the lasgun is already badly wounded, but it's not enough to win the game by itself. Also, if respawning mid-game is difficult or impossible, suicide-based tactics start to get a lot less fun.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Linktoreality » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:28 am

I've noticed a lot of mention of people being upset about characters in FPS games unrealistically being unable to see their bodies when they look down... while I can't remember for certain, since it's been awhile since I last played it, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth allowed you to do just that- watching your feet as you carefully walked along a very small walkway (and, at the same time, the screen getting shaky and warped because of the main character's fear of heights). And, there's an entire boss battle atop a boat being tossed about on the sea in a very heavy storm, and whenever a huge wave comes in, you have to run for a handle-bar before it hits, lest you be swept away.

Just thought I'd mention :P
Linktoreality
Welcome, New User!

Postby Relee » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:17 am

It's really hard to do a boat well in a video game. The only time I've seen it done really well was in the Everquest 2 demo. Did anybody else play that? It was crazy. XD

Sadly it seems that free-sailing in MMORPGs is a thing of the past, excluding pure-sailing MMOs.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby strange_person » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:57 am

A seventh option for the Dune-like F/RPS: PharmaPak. It has three options, which the wielder can activate independently at any time:
Metabolic suppressants, which improve accuracy and stealth (while lying prone, your character is indistinguishable from a corpse) at the expense of reduced movement speed and endurance.
Stimmies, which improve knife damage, thrown-object range, and rate-of-fire at the expense of situational awareness (blurring screen edges and concealing health bar, ammo, etc.).
Hallucinogens, which can be used on yourself to see health status even through walls, at the expense of not being able to reliably tell friend from foe (names become color-coded by % health remaining instead of team), or smeared on the knife. If you hit someone with a poisoned knife, their frame-rate is capped at a number of frames per second equal to the number of seconds since they were hit, but all their controls work normally.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Wizard CaT » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:45 pm

Shackler wrote:Starship Troopers (the book, not the movie) would make a great tactical/teamplay FPS, especially if you had MI v. MI multiplayer brawls.

Starcraft, FPS!
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby OtakuMan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:09 pm

Five words:

First
Person
Survival
Horror
Game

A FPSHG would have all the things Jen said:

A realistic person
A think before you shoot gameplay
A good reason for wounding not healing without some serious medical treatment

THE WORKS!

What say you guys?

And would it be fun?

~Otaku-Man

~Play For Fun!

OtakuMan
Apple Class

Postby Asher Omega » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:49 pm

OtakuMan wrote:Five words:

First
Person
Survival
Horror
Game

A FPSHG would have all the things Jen said:

A realistic person
A think before you shoot gameplay
A good reason for wounding not healing without some serious medical treatment

THE WORKS!

What say you guys?

And would it be fun?

~Otaku-Man

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/call-of-cthulh ... the-earth/

its been done. the game actually discourages you from actually fighting. the best way of putting it is that its a stealth game with cosmic horrors instead of rampaging goons. and yes I do own a copy.
Commiter of the worst crime: Schism of the Mind.
Asher Omega
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby OtakuMan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:01 am

Asher Omega wrote:http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/call-of-cthulhu-dark-corners-of-the-earth/

its been done. the game actually discourages you from actually fighting. the best way of putting it is that its a stealth game with cosmic horrors instead of rampaging goons. and yes I do own a copy.

*Checks Link*

FROM BETHESDA!

Well that makes sense. They hit FPRPG GOLD with Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (which is the first Xbox 360 game I ever bought that wasn't an XBLA title) and I have been happy with that buy ever since! Give it up for Shivering Isles! ^v^

But even so, just one title doesn't mean that it has been perfected. If it had been, I would have been more familiar with it.

But then again... does JEN know of it? //]

~Otaku-Man

~Play For Fun!

OtakuMan
Apple Class

Postby Relee » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:01 pm

A friend of mine used to work at Bethesda. He did the interface for the Morrowind XBOX version, and worked on Oblivion too. White tiger. ;)
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby OtakuMan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:39 pm

Relee wrote:A friend of mine used to work at Bethesda. He did the interface for the Morrowind XBOX version, and worked on Oblivion too. White tiger. ;)

This friend of yours... are they still working at Bethesda and are they still your friend?

If the above is true, is there a way I can get in touch with this person about, I dunno, working there maybe?

^v^

~Otaku-Man

~Play For Fun!

OtakuMan
Apple Class

Postby Relee » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:18 pm

We haven't really spoken in a long time, and no, he quit there after he had his first kid, and went into normal programming work, a little after Oblivion was finished.

He told me that as soon as he finished a 3-year university computer-science program he sent a job app and was picked up immediately; he didn't even have a portfolio of work to show them. So, you know, apply!
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:26 pm

I think the "you are tougher than most opponents" thing could be changed easily enough. I'm playing Heli Attack 2 right now, and a bit of experimentation got me the following facts:

<> Both your character and the "heli" start out with a machine gun.
<> Ten hits kills you; the heli can take 30.
<> Your machine gun's rate-of-fire is approximately 3 times that of the heli.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alfador » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:47 pm

strange_person wrote:I think the "you are tougher than most opponents" thing could be changed easily enough. I'm playing Heli Attack 2 right now, and a bit of experimentation got me the following facts:

<> Both your character and the "heli" start out with a machine gun.
<> Ten hits kills you; the heli can take 30.
<> Your machine gun's rate-of-fire is approximately 3 times that of the heli.

That and you're a much smaller target than the helis, and far more able to dodge a continuous stream of their fire than they are of dodging a continuous stream of your fire.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:42 am

And you face only one of them at a time, and you can get weapon upgrades, and you've got super jump and time distort, yes, yes.

The dodging thing is a matter of relative skill. It shows that if someone designs a game where the monsters are as tough as the PCs, but the PCs have the advantage of skill, it's still an interesting, eminently playable game. I mean, I never even use time distort, and sometimes deliberately abstain from super jump, and it's still fun.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Pyromaniakal22 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:43 pm

So, this is a FPS that takes up under 100K of code, and still packs an amazing wallop (from what i've seen) apparently it's on par with Quake or Doom, except that everything is algorithm generated, to keep the code rate so low. Here's the link to the initial page:
http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/04/1 ... 86&tid=204

and this is for the game itself:
http://theprodukkt.com/
He's a Nobel prize-winning Amish cyborg on a mission from God. She's a cold-hearted hypochondriac advertising executive living on borrowed time. They Fight Crime!
Pyromaniakal22
Our New Pal Can Write!

Postby Tychomonger » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:47 pm

Yes, my professor showed this to the class. It really is mind blowing.

This thing really ekes everything it can out of a choice few lines of code, so much so that your antivirus software may attempt to kill the process, thinking it is hijacking your computer. It is truly incredible how much you can get out of limited resources if you really try.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alfador » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:48 pm

Tychomonger wrote:Yes, my professor showed this to the class. It really is mind blowing.

This thing really ekes everything it can out of a choice few lines of code, so much so that your antivirus software may attempt to kill the process, thinking it is hijacking your computer. It is truly incredible how much you can get out of limited resources if you really try.

I had .kkrieger disappear from my hard drive a few times before I figured out to disable the "auto-clean" feature of AVG. Stupid antivirus.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:01 pm

Alikat wrote:How about a first-person shooter where instead of shooting at people, you shoot at their property? For example, you enter a room, and there are several enemies in there, each one with a pet or a weapon of some sort, and you actually LOSE points for wounding or killing a person, but you GAIN points for shooting the objects under their control. So one enemy might be using a remote-control-car type battle robot to attack you, another might have an attack dog, and another might have a forklift. The forklift operator tries to crush you or run you down or drop a heavy load on top of you, the robot operator stands off to the side and sends his robot after you, and the dog handler says "sic em" and stands back. You have to shoot the robot, the attack dog, and the forklift enough to damage them and render them no longer a threat. To avoid having to kill the dog, perhaps you can use a stun-type weapon.

Chameleon wrote:Brainstorm. Spore meets FPS. You create the enemies. You create the levels. You create the guns. Then you get to kill everything. Then you upload your mayhem to YouTube. And if you want to play something that you haven't already seen, you click the Random Game button and another player's enemies/maps/guns will be downloaded from a database and loaded onto your computer.
A concept I've been kicking around for a while is having a game with an FPS interface, but that was actually a civilization-building game.

Everybody has four item slots: two hands, one holster for a backup weapon, and a fourth slot that's normally armor. You start out with no armor, and two weaons: small, aerodynamic rock (thrown) and large, sharp rock (melee). Whenever you kill something, you get experience: killing other players or large, dangerous monsters gets you experience toward combat skils, killing small, harmless creatures gets you experience toward engineering (which can be used to duplicate any item you've seen, given the correct raw materials) and 'killing' inanimate objects, or anything unfamiliar, gets you experience toward Pure Science, which lets you build entirely new kinds of things.

For example, combining wood, sinew (from dead animals) and dry moss would let you make fire. Combining fire and blue rocks would let you make copper. Combining copper and tin would let you make bronze, even if bronze wasn't previously available. Combining bronze with landshark-hide armor lets you make metal armor, and suddenly the guy who spent all this time beefing up the 'hit with rock' skill is wishing he was you.

Kind of like Adventurer mode in Dwarf Fortress, but a different interface, and no civilization but what you make.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alikat » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:56 pm

Leave us not forget the PAST cliche-breakers, such as Half-Life's scripting system and incredible monster AI (which made single-player play more immersive), the original Quakeworld Teamfortress which brought us focused team play and classes, Half-Life 2 and it's amazing Grav Gun, and Far Cry's radio narrative with an in-game sidekick. There is also Socomm's squad of AI team mates. Even Battlefield 1942 brought us player-drivable vehicles. There were also some neat new features in the original Tribes such as shield generators.

I think Portal sounds neat, it definitely added a huge new feature to the genre, but it's one of a long line of amazing ideas to spice up the old "I am a gun" games.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Tychomonger » Wed May 07, 2008 9:36 am

Monthenor wrote:Oh hey how about Mirror's Edge? I had forgotten about this one until Joystiq brought it up again.

I am very excited about this First Person Parkourer!

Gameplay footage.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Gaming