Give $20 To Help Haiti - Get $1,481 in RPGs

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Give $20 To Help Haiti - Get $1,481 in RPGs

Postby Ashes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:38 pm

Drive Thru RPG is raising money for Doctors Without Borders in Haiti by selling $20 coupons which entitle you to download $1,481.31 worth of gaming PDFs for free. It's a predefined list of books, but it is also an ENORMOUS list. Even if you hate 90% of it, odds are you're still going to find a dozen books you'll enjoy.

Two that caught my eye before I donated -
- Mars: Savage Worlds, the SW book for playing games inspired by John Carter Of Mars
- Diana: Warrior Princess, a game which looks at modern history the same way Xena: Warrior Princess looks at ancient Greece

Mars: Savage Worlds alone costs $20, so that's when I realized Drive Thru RPG wasn't being a cheapskate here.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_i ... s_id=78023
Ashes
Melon Class

Re: Give $20 To Help Haiti - Get $1,481 in RPGs

Postby Relee » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:12 am

Rad, thanks for the head's up!
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby mwchase » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:56 am

Thanks for the tip. That completely destroyed my impulse control for a bit there, but I guess it's for a good cause. Hopefully, the download server will recover soon.
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

"the worlds of our imagination have really confusing rail service."
mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Ashes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:06 pm

Good news everybody! Now instead of mucking around with coupon codes, Drive Thru RPG simply puts every item in the package on your receipt when you donate, so you can download all of it from one page.

You couldn't do this with physical books. Maybe after some future disaster charities will raise money by giving away free downloads of sports cars with every $20 donation. Although it would cost a lot more to print a Ferrari than to print Savage Worlds.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Alfador » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Ashes wrote:Good news everybody! Now instead of mucking around with coupon codes, Drive Thru RPG simply puts every item in the package on your receipt when you donate, so you can download all of it from one page.

You couldn't do this with physical books. Maybe after some future disaster charities will raise money by giving away free downloads of sports cars with every $20 donation. Although it would cost a lot more to print a Ferrari than to print Savage Worlds.

3D printers are getting better all the time...
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Ashes » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:56 pm

So far, gamers have donated $122,055.00 to help Haiti! Amazing!

I've been going through the list of things in the bundle, and downloading any that look interesting. So here are some recommendations:

*Anything by World Works Games - They make papercraft models for use in setting up a scene on your table. There's other papercraft model products in the package, but these stand out.

* Wormhole - A table top wargame by World Works Games. It's 100% papercraft (except for dice and pencils). So unlike Warhammer and other collectable games, everybody has access to all the same units when building their fleets. Also unlike Warhammer, it's as cheap as paper and ink. It uses a papercraft "control panel" with all sorts of switches and sliders for keeping track of all your units.

* BASH: Basic Action Super Heros - It resembles what you might get if you took Mutants And Masterminds and tore out all the D20 baggage. It's an easy to learn, streamlined, super hero game.

* Anything by Sonic Legends - They make background sound tracks which combine atmospheric music with different background noises. Each MP3 is like 10 minutes long, and loops seamlessly. Great for helping you feel like you really are in a forest surrounded by savage elves; or that you really are in a city police building circa 1930 getting chewed out by the chief of police for being a loose cannon and playing by your own rules.
Ashes
Melon Class

Return to Games and Gaming