Creatoon animation software FREE

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Creatoon animation software FREE

Postby Anna » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:29 pm

Allright you lazy guys, just posting a new thread in the games section,
otherwise if you would see "Anna" in the media section you wouldn't notice that there is a new posting thing.
Hm, games, is it a game?
Well, you can play with it, if you like graphics software, but you can create something with it.
http://www.creatoon.com/index.php
Creatoon is 2D animation software, FREE!
Windows only, sorry.
It's about 5.5 MB and after download it you must also download the Unlock.zip file.
Creatoon was a commercial project and they stopped the devolping, now it is free.

Well the download was horrible slow, but a real freak doesn't be afraid for 30 minutes download for 5 MB.
Allright it was a bit faster, especially in last parts of the download.
However, Belgium is far far away, about 2-3 hours with my car.

Hi Plasman, it could work on your Frankenstein Computer also.
* Windows 95, 98, NT4, ME, 2000, or XP, with OpenGL support
* Pentium II or higher
* 128 MB RAM
* Video card with HiRes color (16, 24 or 32 bit), hardware OpenGL acceleration and texture memory. Important remark: make sure that you install the latest driver of your graphical card.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Re: Creatoon animation software FREE

Postby Coda » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:37 pm

With specs like that it'd probably run under WINE/CrossOver for us non-Windows folks.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby mwchase » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:04 pm

I just got my copy working. Anybody using Vista or Se7en, you'll have to run the two applications as administrator to unlock it. After that, it's fine. (I think... this assumes I understand security stuff with Se7en.)
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

"the worlds of our imagination have really confusing rail service."
mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby masstreble » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:55 pm

Anna wrote:Windows only, sorry.

*Tosses down hat in frustration*
masstreble
Blueberry Class Leader

Postby mwchase » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:39 pm

I'm seeing if I can get it to work under Wine. I got as far as unlocking it, but now it's being finicky about missing a module. Can someone with more experience than me in these matters tell me what to look into?
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Coda » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 pm

mwchase wrote:I'm seeing if I can get it to work under Wine. I got as far as unlocking it, but now it's being finicky about missing a module. Can someone with more experience than me in these matters tell me what to look into?

I can take a shot at it if you can give me as much information as you can about what's going wrong.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby mwchase » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:49 pm

I'm trying to get it to work under the latest build of Wine for OSX, using WineBottler, which gives things a nice .app launcher, and lets you configure the behavior of individual applications. I was getting some experience earlier today, packaging Eversion for fun.

Anyway, I created a new custom prefix, using all of the WineBottler defaults, and pointed it at the install exe. Not quite understanding how everything fits together, I figured it would make the most sense to run the unlocker under the same prefix. For whatever reason, getting the unlock to work was a bit fiddly, but it registered after a few tries. The launch screen says it's unlocked, but I get an error message "Module not found". Clicking okay causes the splash and the default document to appear briefly, before closing. Creatoon terminates silently.

I'd probably try harder if I knew how to get an error message that was in any way specific.

Winebottler does not necessarily make all the files that are supposed to be available, available, but that's more likely to happen with stuff that doesn't have an installer.

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Coda » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:09 am

Hmm, I think I'd just have to try it myself. I've got an old-ish CrossOver Games installation from the day they were giving it away free, and I've been meaning to install WINE via MacPorts for a while but haven't wanted to take the time on my laptop. I'll keep you posted.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby mwchase » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:51 am

Huh. I just realized that I'd get more information running it from the command line. Looks like this is a bug in the Mac gui build of Wine.

Trying to fix it by re-hard-coding the bad path I found apparently was a bad idea. Fortunately, nothing is much more broken for me.

Anyway, the issue is that winemp3.acm.so tries to access libmpg123.0.dylib, in a folder that doesn't exist. I expect this issue only exists in the gui build of Wine, but I don't know.

There could be other issues, possibly related to XQuartz, but I'm just going for the first error I see.

EDIT: Urgh, the error messages Wine throws up to the GUI are horrendously uninformative. I'm getting exactly the same error message, but running from command line reveals that it seems to be failing in an entirely different way. Either the error I tried to fix was the cause of the other errors I saw, thereby making way for a new one, or my attempt to fix the error has introduced a new error that prevents the code from even reaching the other errors.

I guess what I'm saying is, I am amazingly bad at this.

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Return to Games and Gaming