Cave Story WiiWare

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Cave Story WiiWare

Postby Alfador » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:27 pm

It's out today! And it's awesome! Though the Map System is a little on the glitchy side--in Grasstown-I-mean-Bushlands and the Sand Zone, and perhaps other horizontally large areas, the right side of the map tends to devolve into horizontal striping as if the area isn't fully loaded--even when you're playing quite unglitched in the area in question.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: Cave Story WiiWare

Postby Coda » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:48 am

I never used the map much, so I wouldn't have noticed that. ^^;

Being able to play as Curly makes me a happy happy happy girl. <3

Being able to jump right into Sanctuary... I have to headscratch about. You don't get the missiles, you can't get the machine gun, and it sort of takes away from the "hard mode" badge of honor to be able to attack it without having to beat the game.

I was vaguely worried about the new graphics, but now that I've seen them in action they're GREAT -- it perfectly preserves the original feel, just looking a little bit sharper.

I like the new music remixes but I'm glad you can switch back to the classic tunes, because both are awesome.

And then...

IT'S CAVE STORY! That alone is infinite amounts of awesome. <3
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby draque » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:53 am

I never played through this on the PC, so it was really fun to be able to run through the game for the first time ^^. The fact that there's still another ending to get/new bosses to fight is just extra frosting on the cake.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Zilla » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:06 pm

A friend gifted it to me :D

I don't really like the new music (it was the weird new "you got the powerup" music that really turned me off V_V), as Pixel's original music was just amazingly good. Also, the volume balance between sound effects and music is really weird (I had to set SFX to about 30% just to get the right level of sound between sound and music!) and the music doesn't loop right (the tracks are designed to have an intro segment, then a loop point that is further into the song, which Pixel coded himself for the PC version, but now, when the music reaches the end, it just starts from the very beginning, instead of doing the correct looping. Very evident with Safety, Gestation, Jenka, etc.)

The new graphics are mostly completely awesome, although... Balrog has a scuffed nose? There's a few little graphical quirks that kinda make me go @_@. King looks less angry, which makes his dialogue in the Warehouse match his expression less. The new translation just isn't quite as good. (No "Huzzah!" ;_;) I love being able to play as Curly, even though some of the story seems really strange, especially where you fight Quote, and then have to pick YES/NO to your OWN dialogue box!

Hard mode... is just a forced 3 HP run.... ^^;;

I don't really like Hell without super-missiles... I know you get an insane capacity if you wait until the last chest to get the missile launcher, but I'd rather have the extra damage.
Zilla
Blueberry Class

Postby Alfador » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:02 am

I agree: the music was better in the original, but I like the new graphics.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:43 am

Zilla wrote:and then have to pick YES/NO to your OWN dialogue box!

I just figured that was a bug.

I like the new music, overall. Some of the new mixes are really good. I do agree I don't much like the "item get" jingle, and there are a few that are kinda unimpressive, but overall I think it's solid. I do still switch back to play on Original from time to time, though, because the originals rock out loud.

The FX balance never bothered me; it sounded like it was balanced about that way in the original PC version.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Return to Games and Gaming