The Minecraft Diaries

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Re: The Minecraft Diaries

Postby mwchase » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:03 pm

I don't think any of my screenshots from this time are that good, so this entry's going to be blank in honor of my workload (there is a light at the end of the tunnel, though). If I get the chance later, I can retake most of these images, and add them in.
I tried to come to grips with this strange world. So, I was on a beach, next to... an ice floe. Sure, whatever. Some strange, nagging voice in my head told me to check my pockets again, and then... to punch a tree? Several inexplicable activities later, I realized that night was falling. Siezed by a mysterious dread, I sought to protect myself from whatever might appear. I soon found an outcrop, open on most sides. This would do it! I hastily erected some walls using dirt I had picked up in the aftermath of a minor explosion. I was invincible. With these walls, I was protected from most approach from any direction, and still able to see the state of the world. A skeleton wielding a bow and arrow pegged me off one of the open edges. I died instantly.

Now, you may be wondering how that can be, considering that I'm telling you about this right now. What you need to understand is, around here, death is nohow permanent. Each one of us is locked into an endless cycle of karma. With every death, the same, inscrutable sequence of symbols appears before me. Is it good? bad? I wish I knew.

Anyway, I was unceremoniously dropped back where I started, so I had to start over. This time I chose a small island; hopefully nothing would be able to swim out to it, even though I got out there in this suit.

With only a few hiccups, I set up a small living area underground, and continued mining down. The voice thought mining was very important. I'm not sure what it's thinking, though... this stone is way too common for even me to sell, even without the, ah, production facilities I've got set up now. I did find some other stuff, though. Maybe if I find someone who wants aquarium supplies. I never did, though. ... Do you want aquarium supplies? Oh, wait, never mind. I managed to process that stuff into lighters. Useful things, those, quite useful. I'll explain later.

Second entry rundown:
1 death (ignominious)
One bed, several torches, a workbench, and a door, placed.
Inventory:
131 cobblestone
76 dirt
2 wood
4 logs
4 sticks
6 charcoal
4 flint
9 wool (various colors)
1 stone pickaxe
1 furnace
1 torch
49 gravel

EDIT: Bad mwchase! That phrasing was repetitive!
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

"the worlds of our imagination have really confusing rail service."
mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby mwchase » Sun May 01, 2011 3:09 pm

Sigh... new plan, due to dropping some diamonds in lava, again (ironically, this occurred as part of an effort to insure that I wouldn't have problems with lava later on). I'm going to restart on peaceful, establish myself in the convenient mountain base behind my spawn, and work from there. Eventually, I'm going to turn the mode back to normal, so I can kill skeletons, and such.

The moral of the story is, lava makes me ragequit.
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby mwchase » Fri May 06, 2011 3:36 pm

So, I think I've learned something from trying this. I can play Minecraft to the best of my abilities, and I can write stories, but trying to combine the two really doesn't work for me. Is anyone really invested in reading about my repeated attempts at adequacy, or would it be all right with everyone following this if I switched gears to "This is what I did with TMI and some other random mods I grabbed.", every few weeks or so?

(The original saves are backed up, unmodded.)

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby mwchase » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:16 am

New plan: I play by my rules.

And by "play by my rules" I mean "play with a ridiculous assortment of mods that somehow do not cause everything to spontaneously crash and/or burst into flames". Alchemy, automation, advanced circuitry, mechanical power, all together.

Glorious. (^^>

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby mwchase » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Oh... oh no...

I dug too deep. Too many mods. I can't upgrade my mods anymore... the conflicts are too deepseated.

(I do, however, have a pristine jar. Modified launchers are awesome.)

I'll try to do something cool with everything I have, but if anyone pops in to ask, say, why I'm not using RedPower 1.6, or Buildcraft 2.0, or whichever version of BTW switches to MinecraftForge support... at the moment, I can't. There's just no good way to get everything together without frankensteining together multiple copies of the obfuscated class-files, and once I go down that road, I'll probably end up forcing yet more mods in, because I will be able to.

Edit: Most things work together much better now, and I've switched back to modifying the jar, but in a more disciplined manner. Also, I've made something all for myself, eh-hehehehe.

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Previous

Return to Games and Gaming