MegaMan 9 on WiiWare

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

MegaMan 9 on WiiWare

Postby Ashes » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:28 am

MegaMan 9 launched on WiiWare today. It is a brand new 8-bit MegaMan title, available for 1000 Wii Points ($10).

Don't buy the Roll costume. It doesn't let you play as Roll. It just changes Roll's clothes when she appears in the item shop.

The MegaMan hairstyles only last for one life. If you die he comes back with his helmet on. You can also buy your helmet back from the item shop, but this is pointless unless you're some sort of MegaMan god who never ever dies.

There is a big list of achievements. It's kind of funny to see XBox360 style achievements in an 8-bit WiiWare game. A couple of them are impossible not to get (e.g., beat a boss with only the basic megabuster). Most of them sound like real challenges.

There's no downloadable content yet, but there is a list of what DLC will be available in the future. The most expensive thing, IIRC, was 300 points (100 points = $1). The cheapest thing was an extra stage for 100 points. There's an endless stage (not sure how that will work) where you can test yourself to see how long you can last. There's hard and super hard modes. There's the option to play as ProtoMan. And I think that was it, but I might have forgotten one. And Capcom might come up with more in the future.

There is a time attack mode, which I haven't tried yet. There is also an online leaderboard for both the time attack mode, and the main game itself (total game clear times).

The main game is one of the best MegaMan games I have ever played. The only game which could top it is MegaMan ZX, but I'm totally in love with MegaMan ZX so that's not fair to MegaMan 9. The gameplay is classic MegaMan with the benefit of an extra 20 years of game design knowledge. The graphics Capcom managed to squeeze out of the NES are astounding. There are even cutscenes!
Ashes
Melon Class

Re: MegaMan 9 on WiiWare

Postby Tychomonger » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:14 pm

This was made to run on a virtual NES, right? I wonder if it would be possible to dump it onto a real NES cart!
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:41 pm

It has all kinds of things an NES can't actually do. Like being able to turn flicker on and off, and connect to the internet. It's possible that it's running on some kind of super special NES emulator that has extra features like those, but it's more likely that they just programmed the game to stay within the graphical and aural limitations of the NES.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Monthenor » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:37 pm

I'm pretty sure the game itself is larger than the NES could address. It would be one hell of an expensive cart, with memory mappers upon mappers.

I tried three different stages tonight and got my ass handed to me on each one. It struck me about halfway through that this was the first time I'd ever played a Mega Man right when it was released, before the boss order was common knowledge. And I'm definitely not going to FAQ this up.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:59 pm

Mega Man is one of my all-time favorite franchises; I own just about every Mega Man game ever released, including those only released in Japan. Naturally, I am stoked for Mega Man 9.

Me... I am going to get it on Xbox, primarily because I really like the sharpness of HD, and I prefer (so far) the Xbox360 experience to the Playstation 3 experience overall. Mega Man 9 will be available on all three consoles, just at different dates: on the Xbox, it's like the end of the month or something. I need to double check that.

For those that know nothing about this - Mega Man 9 is completely retro. The graphics, sound - and as mentioned even the imitation screen sprite-flicker native to the original NES - are all exactly recreated. The whole game is designed to be as if a parallel universe splay opened up and coughed forth a lost game from the 1980's, a Mega Man game from an earth where video game console technology never progressed beyond the NES, but game design did progress. A game from an earth where the NES is still the only viable console, and Mega Man is one of the biggest franchises of all time. From that splay comes Mega Man 9.

If you also love the Blue Bomber, arguably the best feeling and most precisely moving platform character of all time (some would say that Mega Man -Rockman in Japan- handles better even than Mario, at least in his original NES incarnation), then this is a must-get on whatever platform you choose.

NES graphics, sound and gameplay, brought to life, all new, today. A lost game from another splay of earth, the game that never was; Mega Man 9.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Tychomonger » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:51 pm

Have you ever thought about what life might be like under the tyrannical thumb of Dr. Wily? How Dr. Light must have had to hide his great work, a humanoid super weapon capable of destroying the hordes of robots at Wily's disposal? How hope comes in the form of a Blue Warrior?

The Protomen are here to tell you.

In Rock. Opera.

http://www.protomen.com/
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monthenor » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:18 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Me... I am going to get it on Xbox, primarily because I really like the sharpness of HD, and I prefer (so far) the Xbox360 experience to the Playstation 3 experience overall. Mega Man 9 will be available on all three consoles, just at different dates: on the Xbox, it's like the end of the month or something. I need to double check that.

This concerns me. The IGN review -- not the most trustworthy bunch, but they have eyes -- says that the HD versions will look less blocky, and thus less NESsy. I wish they had comparison screenies up; I imagine someone will do that once the XBox version is released.

Also make sure you mod your XBoX controller to unlock its full potential.

...Man, I was going to go to bed but now I'm hyped up for MM9 again. There's got to be at least one boss I can beat...
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Ashes » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:47 pm

A lot of people are buying the Wii version due to the fact that the Wii Remote practically is an NES controller when held sideways. Also,there are easily available ways of using an actual NES controller with the Wii.

Monthenor wrote:There's got to be at least one boss I can beat...

Galaxy Man is the easiest, and has the easiest stage to boot. Also, you keep your screws when you get a game over, so buy up a bunch of E-Tanks for the fight.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Wizard CaT » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:52 pm

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/ima ... ?box=29030
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/ima ... ?box=58882

As much as I loved not quite making a jump equaling certain death, I don't think I'd travel backwards from X (no not ten). Actually, I really don't know why the NES is thought of so fondly… almost all of those games related to getting punched in the face, and then asking for more. Yes games are a little to easy now, but I dunno, the NES is rather unforgiving. But anyway… hey a female boss, zomg.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby draque » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:27 am

Gonna pick this one up for the PS3 when it's out for the system. Even with a modded controller, I still don't like the D-Pad on the 360 as well as the PS3, and this is a game to play with a D-Pad.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:15 pm

Wizard CaT wrote:http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/image/563441.html?box=29030

There's a weapon in MegaMan9 that gives MegaMan that color scheme ^_^

Wizard CaT wrote:As much as I loved not quite making a jump equaling certain death, I don't think I'd travel backwards from X (no not ten). Actually, I really don't know why the NES is thought of so fondly… almost all of those games related to getting punched in the face, and then asking for more. Yes games are a little to easy now, but I dunno, the NES is rather unforgiving. But anyway… hey a female boss, zomg.

Sense of accomplishment. When you beat MegaMan 9 you'll know you earned those end credits. The game isn't unfair. If there are false platforms, it shows you which ones are false before hiding them. You keep your money even if you get a game over. A game over only sends you back to the start of the stage and gives you an opportunity to buy helpful items from the store.

Each stage is puzzle, and a test of reflexes. The point isn't blowing up robots. The robots are only obstacles. It's almost like Portal. The point is to get from point a to point b, and there are many different ways to do that. There's even a Time Trials mode, where it clocks how long it takes you to beat a stage.

OK, there are couple unfair points. But they're two little things in a sea of awesome gameplay. One is the robots which fly up out of pits in the first part of Concrete Man's stage. If you don't know to expect them, they will kill you once. Then you'll know to expect them. The other thing is in Wily's castle, where there are hug lava beams which shoot sideways across two rooms. You have to turn them into concrete with Concrete Man's weapon. You can also slip past them with Rush Coil, but it's much more difficult that way.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby draque » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:35 pm

There is only one part that I have despised in almost every Mega Man game. There is almost ALWAYS a part of the game with appearing/disappearing blocks. Those sections of the levels just strike me as aggravating and un-fun.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:34 pm

There are, but they're not so bad in this one. Just jump to the next block as soon as it appears. And if you have Rush Jet by then, you can completely bypass it. At least one such puzzle can also be bypassed with creative use of Concrete Shot (though that's almost as bad since the concrete blocks disappear fast too).
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Ashes » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:41 pm

Ashes wrote:A lot of people are buying the Wii version due to the fact that the Wii Remote practically is an NES controller when held sideways. Also,there are easily available ways of using an actual NES controller with the Wii.

BADNEWS! MegaMan 9 doesn't support gamecube controllers, which means it also can't work with the retro adapters.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Tychomonger » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:50 pm

Well then we need to get someone working on a bluetooth adapter for the NES controller. :lol:
Hello!

--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wizard CaT » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:02 pm

~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monthenor » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Ugh. I finally beat all eight bosses, so I think it's safe to come back into the thread. I haven't been this humiliated by a game in a long time.

And I don't even have the full order figured out, since I used a bunch of weak-but-safe weapons to get past Hornet Man and Splash Woman.

Tomorrow: Destination Wily!
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Ashes » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:55 am

THINGS IN MEGAMAN9 WHICH WERE NONOBVIOUS:

* Rush Jet can be steered up and down.

* Black Hole Bomb can be steered up and down.

* Hornet Chaser grabs items and brings them to you.

* Magma Bazooka can be charged up. Try it on minibosses.

* If you put Rush Coil on spikes, you can still jump on him safely.

* You can still fire your Mega Buster while riding Rush Jet or jumping on Rush Coil, without changing weapons.

* Tornado Blow helps you jump higher.

* Going without a helmet causes you to take 2x damage. This cannot be negated by the 1/2 damage item (but the 1/2 damage item won't get used up either).

* You can steer the blue bird item after it saves you from a pit fall.

I still haven't beaten the game yet. :oops: Time Trials mode is addictive. Must... Go... FASTERRRR~!!!!

All of the scores on the leaderboard are simply insane. I can't imagine completing a stage in less than a minute and a half.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Wizard CaT » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:18 pm

Some of the things in that list are old hat from even Megaman 6.
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Most people in this world have never played MegaMan 6.

I've beaten MegaMan 1 on Virtual Console, and gotten most of the way through MegaMan 2 on emulator (abusing save states and the rewind button). I also got most of the way through MegaMan X.

My first MegaMan game was MegaMan ZX. I still haven't beaten the boss rush at the end. It's my favorite because there is a wide interconnected world to explore, with cities and forests and factories and such, instead of just eight disconnected stages. I like to pretend that Aile is a magical girl, and go jumping from rooftop to rooftop in the city while wearing Model HX ^_^
Ashes
Melon Class

Next

Return to Games and Gaming