Mirror's Edge

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Re: Mirror's Edge

Postby Wic » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:21 am

This is the shit.

A promising game that is developed by people who don't screw up their games and/or hype them too much. Fallout 3 and Bethesda, im looking at you.
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Wizard CaT » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:26 pm

I remember seeing that demo awhile ago. I didn't feel that enthused. I'm sure the finished game will feature a lot more levels and won't repeat though.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wizard CaT » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:00 pm

Shackler wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:I remember seeing that demo awhile ago. I didn't feel that enthused. I'm sure the finished game will feature a lot more levels and won't repeat though.

I'm talking about the playable demo, which came out three days ago, not the various videos of the game. If you haven't played it, you really should-- it's awesome, even in an incomplete form. I would probably pay ten or fifteen bucks for the demo alone and consider it a good purchase.

I thought it was a PC game, but the demo is for PS3 and Xbox?
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:18 am

I played the Mirror's Edge demo on the PS3. My opinions are:

Good: Looks freaking fantastic! It's parkour, BUT you can see your own feet and hands, and the world is both photorealistic and yet, at the same time, surreal. It's just beyond beautiful. The gameplay concept is great, and the flow of action is magnificent. Basically, this is Prince Of Persia first person, in a surreal-yet-photorealistic modern city.

Middling: All truly important controls are mapped purely to the shoulder buttons. This is a bit of a pain, I think. I wish they were mappable to face buttons. It makes it a little hard to do simple things, having to hold the controller, use all four shoulder buttons, and yet still use both sticks. It just doesn't feel comfortable, especially when doing really tricky jumps and slides while trying to look or move. I mean, it works, and it is arguably necessary the way they have done things, but I would have simplified the controls and put the emphasis on correct choice, rather than correct button press. Hell - I would have made this game a two-button game. Seriously. One super-contextural action-slide button, one universal jump-climb button, plus the two sticks. All jumping and climbing and opening and punching with one button, and everything else, from sliding to kicking to dropping with the other button. Simple. Going up a complex wall triangle jump would go from L1,R1,L1 to X,X,X. A run, jump, crouch in mid air, roll, jump, grab and climb would go from L1,L2,L1,L1,R1 to X,X,X,X,O. The focus would be on when, where, and why. Just my two cents.

Bad: If you have any simulation sickness issues, well, BLARRGGHHHHHUUULLLLPPPpLEEECCCHhhhh...kack...ack...spit...ulp. Penny Arcade is right. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/11/03/
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Anna » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:37 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Bad: If you have any simulation sickness issues, well, BLARRGGHHHHHUUULLLLPPPpLEEECCCHhhhh...kack...ack...spit...ulp. Penny Arcade is right. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/11/03/

Hm, does that means, you better have to stay hungry before you play?
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby RaharuAharu » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:09 pm

Gosh no, nothing is worse then dry heaves, drink a bunch of water befor you play ^_^

p.s. this is the kind of stuff I do for my job, not the vomiting, but the running, sliding and jumping.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:15 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:All truly important controls are mapped purely to the shoulder buttons.

AAUGH!!! I HATE THOSE DAMN SHOULDER BUTTONS!!!
Especially when the game designers make you press them EVERY THREE SECONDS.
Bad bad mega fail.
Or maybe it was a case of, "Hey! There's a bit of space down here that we could easily fit six triggers and a Dvorak keyboard, let's go nuts!"

:evil: ...end rant. :D

Okay, I like having buttons that are easy to use, and the ones on the SNES, GameCube and PSX are very easily accessible.
And yes, maybe there are cases where the "shoulders" are good, like in Golden Sun where you could apply your favourite Mana abilities to them - but having to use those more than 30% of the time is a case of bad game design, IMHO.

I kind of miss the days when there were only two or three buttons and a D-pad. Sure, you had less control over the game than we're used to now, but at least it encouraged the designers to come up with better control systems. I think Jennifer brings up a valid point when she suggests a simpler 2-button 2-controller interface. Why can't more designers and programmers follow this path?

In summary:
shoulder buttons are good for deliberate non-reflex movement, and bad for repetitive rapid-fire reactions.

PS. Anyone out there capable of using the shoulders on a GBA SP? Or a DS? I can't do it without losing sensation in my fingers after a while.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Wizard CaT » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:29 pm

Plasman wrote:PS. Anyone out there capable of using the shoulders on a GBA SP? Or a DS? I can't do it without losing sensation in my fingers after a while.

Actually I hit them by accident to much. I find the stylus gives me a little pain at times though.
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wizard CaT » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:05 pm

Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:56 pm

Plasman wrote:PS. Anyone out there capable of using the shoulders on a GBA SP? Or a DS? I can't do it without losing sensation in my fingers after a while.

*Raises hand*

Though I do have a DS Phat, so maybe that helps.
Ashes
Melon Class

Return to Games and Gaming