Indie Games

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Indie Games

Postby Relee » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:13 am

Okay you guys, I wanna talk with you about Indie Games. What are your favorite Indie Games, and why?

Of course, the indie game I keep going back to is Dwarf Fortress which is an awesome and rediculously detailed fantasy-world simulator where you can go on adventures or build a Dwarven Hall, and you can mod it to do other things, like if you wanted to make a Human Castle-town or an Elven Treefort or an Octopirate Sea Cave or whatever.

I don't play a lot of Indie games besides that one, though. Some memorable ones that I've played include Within a Deep Forest and Cave Story. Both are somewhat famous, though the latter is far more famous.

Cave Story's popularity is really intriguing to me. I don't think Pixel, the author, intended or expected the game to support his life, it was just a hobby/dream project. But now it's being updated and released on a major console system. I dunno if he's getting a lot of dough for this but as a person interested in making independant video games as a career, his success is heartening.

I'd really like to understand why Cave Story is so popular though. I've played it myself, and it had more emotional impact on me than any other video game I've ever played. What does everybody else think about that?

Anyways I'm just trying to get the ball rolling. Why don't you guys tell me about some of your favorite Indie games, and what makes them so great to you?
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Re: Indie Games

Postby Plasman » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:26 pm

Relee wrote:Some memorable ones that I've played include Within a Deep Forest and Cave Story. Both are somewhat famous, though the latter is far more famous.

I've played Within A Deep Forest! That game was awesome! And I managed to finish it, too (and get the two unlockable but totally unnecessary games). Not that I'm bragging... :blush:
Right now I'm downloading the Knytt game released by the same group.
I have to look up Cave Story - I believe I've heard about it before... but never tried it.

One of my favourite homebrew games would have to be Stixworld.
This game uses vector graphics to portray a world entirely drawn on notepaper! It's a very clever adaptation of the technique. Plus, it has a hidden Easter Egg in the form of a story...Psst... Make sure you're able to run DOS games if you're going to try it out.

You might also find this game of interest. Years ago, I had a disc with a bunch of old Windows shareware on it, and one of the games was called "Jiji and the Mysterious Forest". It's more of a children's RPG, but if you can track down a copy, the folk here might like it even though it's so darn simple.
(That link doesn't go to the actual game, but instead it goes to a fansite... :boggled: If I can find a decent download of the file, I'll add it...)
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Wic » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:58 am

World of goo.
I played Tower of goo, the presequel of it... Never thought it'd turn that awesome! If you have never heard world of goo, it's all about gooballs that get sucked into tubes. Some gooballs explode in fire, some can stick and so. It also has a very strange story behind it, and the whole athmosphere is very utopian and morbid. It seems that you save the gooballs only to let them die...

Scorched Earth 3D
Scorched Earth in 3D. I loved the 2D version of it, and the 3D version didn't flop like 3D Lemmings, but instead evolved like Worms to the new dimension. If you loved the orginal, you'll love this one too. It also has multiplayer over the internet and is free.

Clonk
Clonk is... Lemmings, that build buildings, cut lumber and mine. Instead of going home, they're actually trying to survive. It's a survival game, really. Has some weird physics like sandstorms that just bring in more sand to the level, and the only way you can get rid of it is to dig it with your shovel. Also meteor rains that destroy the forest and your buildings, thunderstorms, rain that fills your gold caves with water, also snow and such... Oh, and godzillas. It has plenty of different kind of mods, some of them are just scenarious, some of them have a story that unfolds when you complete different quests. The learning curve is very steep, but don't give up! Play it with your friends, even if you can't finish the scenario, you at least get laughs when your friend takes a diving jump into a lake with sharks in it and then exclaims he pressed the wrong button. You can play as a team (recommended if you're beginner) or against each other.
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Relee » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:27 am

Oh! I loved Scorched Earth. I'll have to try that Scorched Earth 3D.

Clonk seems pretty neat, too.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Wic » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Shackler wrote:Lugaru is probably my favorite indie game, because it's just so ridiculous yet so awesome at the same time. Next up would probably be Toribash. I guess you might say I have a thing for crazy off-brand fighting games?

Did you get through the level in Lugaru where you have to kill three wolves? I only manage to kill one of them. Can't "backstab" them either.
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Wic » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:01 pm

Shackler wrote:
Wic wrote:
Shackler wrote:Lugaru is probably my favorite indie game, because it's just so ridiculous yet so awesome at the same time. Next up would probably be Toribash. I guess you might say I have a thing for crazy off-brand fighting games?

Did you get through the level in Lugaru where you have to kill three wolves? I only manage to kill one of them. Can't "backstab" them either.

Do you have a sword?

Negative. Should I have picked it up from somewhere? I only have a knife.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Wic » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:28 am

No, just three wolves with different colored fur... One grey, one black, don't remember the third... It starts with a demo where the three wolves are talking, saying they smell the rabbit after which they spread out at different directions to look for you.

Edit: Nevermind that, I beat them easily when I realized how. Now im at the wolf's den... Five or six wolves. This is getting harder, I got the sword now though. But it isn't helping me much.

Edit2: Beat the wolves and the Alpha Wolf... Without the sword. I find it quite useless. Knife was more useful when you could throw it.

Edit3: What, it ended already!? I WANT MOAR! Where are the CATS!? And what was the master plan that one rabbit was talking about? Anyway, I got 14360 points.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Wic » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:12 am

Shackler wrote:-The sword is really good; you have to hold down the button before they actually reach you, and then it hits them for 50-100% damage before they can do anything. It's the best weapon, but it's kind of lame to use.

-I believe cats/rats are scheduled for Lugaru 2: Overgrowth. They weren't in the original game.

-One really useful trick is throwing the corpse of the first wolf you kill at the other ones.

How do you throw a corpse? By kicking it?
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Wic » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Awesome.

I still haven't gotten through the last level in scenarios with three wolves. Killing one of them is hard enough and I have managed to kill two, but the third is death of me. I guess I could try the corpse throwing.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Wizard CaT » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:52 pm

http://www.spidweb.com/geneforge/

Not a bad story at all in the game. I played 1 and 4 and they are addictive. Try the demos. Three ways to play through it as well (well ok more then 3, but the first has 3 classes, but even then you can spec leadership and stuff).
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wic » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:20 pm

I forgot this one:

http://www.taleworlds.com - Mount & Blade. That's... That. A stunning combat system where you can go either with a horse, or without, slashing and/or shooting at enemies. It's a system where your timing with the sword or axe and the speed of your horse all count the damage you do to your enemies... Along with the RPGesque character points. You can loot villages, do quests, herd cows, do buy and sell merchant work, capture and sell slaves... And hire people to your team to aid you in battle. There's a small background story that really leads to nowhere, so if that's what you're looking at, try the numerous mods the game has, like the LOTR or Rome mods.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Volair » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:56 pm

SPELUNKY!

With graphics somewhere between the 8-bit and 16-bit eras and a sound track to match, Spelunky gets its unending replay value from the astounding fact that it is randomly generated. Like the class of games known as "roguelikes" (so my more-informed gamer friends tell me) Spelunky works because only certain types of maps are navigable, and those are the ones generated. In later levels, the difficulty cranks up to "navigable assuming you have a freaking jetpack, tons of explosives and a shotgun," which fortunately are obtainable, given patience, skill, and luck.

There are tons of awesome Indianna Jones riffs, four different tilesets (which appear as the difficulty increases) and even a boss battle at the end of that which I have yet to beat. Spelunky is, in short, an awesome, mind-eating game that has consumed me in ways I thought I outgrew years ago.

There is one very very big problem with this game: women.

There are damsels to rescue in this game and there is no way to not be offended by them and also not be Dave Sim. It's that bad. But the game is so addictive you play it anyway.
Volair
Kumquat Class

Postby Wic » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:32 am

Nah. Secretely all women glance on the doorway when they're distressed, hoping that (young) Indiana Jones would bust in, scoop them in their arms and take them away to the world's end where she'd wrestle with Indy's personal trouser anaconda.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Ejia » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:30 am

Iji is... well, it's like Cave Story meets Quake.

Iji, a fifteen year old girl, comes with her family to a research center where her father works, to see the place. Then aliens attack. Six months later, she wakes up from a coma and finds that she's been altered to become a cyborg with nanotech - the last hope for humanity. She finds this out from her brother, who is the only one of her family left alive.

The art style of the cutscenes reminds me a lot of PDH, actually.
Ejia
Blueberry Class

Return to Games and Gaming