We just scored a Wii!

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

We just scored a Wii!

Postby Plasman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Okay folks, most of you have probably already got yourselves a Wii.
We just bought one off a friend for a reasonable price. Apparently they only got it for the WiiFit game, and then decided they didn't like it! Can you imagine?!?

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any titles that you could recommend?
I'm sorta new, and only have a few games in mind, but since you're all experienced ludologists, any good directions would be appreciated. Right now I'm thinking of the multi-player angle, as we expect to have A LOT of company over the next few months!
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: We just scored a Wii!

Postby ThingOfThing » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:12 pm

Cool! My gf and I might get one when we move out of our current apartment. Right now, there's not really enough room in front of the TV for it to be feasible.
There ain't no rest for the wicked, money don't grow on trees
I got bills to pay, I got mouths to feed, there ain't nothing in this world for free
I can't slow down, I can't hold back, though you know I wish I could
But there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good
ThingOfThing
Kumquat Class

Postby Ashes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:01 pm

Rayman: Raving Rabids, and all of the sequels. Especially the sequels. OMG Rabids II almost killed me! I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath, let alone shake the controller in time to the music! It's a minigame collection, with a huge variety of games, and prominent rhythm and rail-shooter minigames.

Wii Sports. Bowling is especially popular.

Mario Kart Wii. Even my mom can play this, since holding the Wii controller like a steeringwheel is so intuitive.

Ghost Squad. It's an on-rails shooter. Like a lightgun game at the arcade. Wii has a bunch of these, actually, and they're all decent party games.

Super Smash Bros Brawl. Only if you expect to have a lot of gamers come over. It's relatively casual for a fighting game, but it's still takes a bit of gaming experience to have fun with it.

WiiPlay. Primarily for the free controller it comes with. The minigames can be fun (especially cow racing, laser hockey, and shooting galler), but it's only two player.

You will need four Wii Controllers and four Nunchucks.

You could also pick up a charging station for your controllers, to save on batteries in the longterm.

HAVE FUN!
W!!
Last edited by Ashes on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Ashes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:04 pm

ThingOfThing wrote:Cool! My gf and I might get one when we move out of our current apartment. Right now, there's not really enough room in front of the TV for it to be feasible.

You don't need a lot of room, unless you're going to be hosting Wii parties. There's only about five feet between my futon and my Wii (maybe a little less).

And contrary to the commercials, you do not have to stand up to Wii.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby ThingOfThing » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:34 pm

Ashes wrote:
ThingOfThing wrote:Cool! My gf and I might get one when we move out of our current apartment. Right now, there's not really enough room in front of the TV for it to be feasible.

You don't need a lot of room, unless you're going to be hosting Wii parties. There's only about five feet between my futon and my Wii (maybe a little less).

Ah. That's about how much room we've got, minus whichever animals happen to be in the way at the time.
There ain't no rest for the wicked, money don't grow on trees
I got bills to pay, I got mouths to feed, there ain't nothing in this world for free
I can't slow down, I can't hold back, though you know I wish I could
But there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good
ThingOfThing
Kumquat Class

Postby Plasman » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:01 am

Ashes wrote:You don't need a lot of room, unless you're going to be hosting Wii parties. There's only about five feet between my futon and my Wii (maybe a little less).

Yeah, I noticed that pretty quickly.
It makes a lot of games (like WiiPlay) a lot easier when you aren't waving your arms around like a windmill. Once you get the sensor in the right position, you can just shoot from the lap!

We also discovered that, against natural instinct, you do NOT have to thrust the Wiimote wildly to register a big hit (eg. in Wiisports). The sensor detects a quick flick of the wrist pretty much the same as a wide swing around the head. We had a few people getting out of the way before we worked that one out.

I just purchased Wario Ware: Smooth Moves today, purely on the basis of the back catalogue (I love Wario!!!). I am also looking at Sonic: Secret of the Rings, and Sonic: Unleashed, and of course the obvious Super Mario Galaxy. I also really want to get Mario Kart Wii because the Kart series has always proved popular in our household!

I saw the promos for Raving Rabbids when it first came out, but didn't think much of it. So it's a minigame affair, is it? I am now interested...
Is it the sort of game you'll keep playing in a year's time, or am I better off just renting it?

And yes, we have two full sets of controllers at the moment, and I know that getting another two is a must.
Oh, and making recognisable Miis of your friends is a lot harder than it looks.
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Ashes » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:47 am

Plasman wrote:I just purchased Wario Ware: Smooth Moves today, purely on the basis of the back catalogue (I love Wario!!!). I am also looking at Sonic: Secret of the Rings, and Sonic: Unleashed, and of course the obvious Super Mario Galaxy. I also really want to get Mario Kart Wii because the Kart series has always proved popular in our household!

>_< how did I forget WarioWare?

WarioWare has more replay value than Raving Rabids. WarioWare is fun to challenge yourself with, or just pick up and play for a few minutes before work, in a way Raving Rabids isn't.

Raving Rabids does have stuff to unlock. Extra costumes, music, extra minigames, and bonus light gun stages. There should be enough replay value in there for a normal person, but my supernerd friends and I unlocked everything within a week or two. Rent the first one, buy the sequel.

I've played Sonic Unleased for 360 and absolutely love it. Finally a Sonic is a good game again! I've heard that the Wii version's werehog sections are somehow worse, but haven't played it for myself, and don't know the extent of the differences.

I played the first few levels of Sonic And The Secret Rings. I thought it was a pretty good game. However, I thought the same thing about Sonic Heroes after playing the first few levels, and then halfway through the game it all turned to shit. Sonic And The Secret Rings is probably a decent game, but make sure to look up a lot of reviews to make sure it is before buying it.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Plasman » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:43 am

Ashes wrote:>_< how did I forget WarioWare?

s'Ok, I won't tell him. ;]

Ashes wrote:I played the first few levels of Sonic And The Secret Rings. I thought it was a pretty good game. However, I thought the same thing about Sonic Heroes after playing the first few levels, and then halfway through the game it all turned to shit.

No kidding, you thought Sonic Heroes was crap? I like it! Well, sorta. Okay, I really HATE the f****ng bottomless-abyss-nightmare of the canyon levels (trying to land on a rail suspended in midair has cost me more lives than any stupid boss level). And the Special Stages were more frustrating than any other I've played. And -
Oh, never mind.
I can pick up Secret Rings quite cheaply and painlessly, but I'll still check it out before I buy. In fact renting games first is probably best, since I'm gonna pay $$$ for them brand new.
Thanks for your advice!
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Tychomonger » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:19 am

Sonic and the Secret Rings is utter shit. I regret buying it for $20. It is absolutely the worst game I have played on the Wii.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Plasman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:20 am

So...
I guess I'll just be renting that one, then... :(
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:12 pm

Okay, a little update on my progress...
I've just about finished WarioWare:SM, I only have to collect all of the minigames to unlock the last part (which I'm gonna assume is Pyoro W or something).

The only continuing gripe I have with this game is HOW THE HELL DO I MAKE THE WIIMOTE UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM TRYING TO MAKE IT DO?!? I am getting sick of losing a task just because I wasn't waving the stick in the square inch of space it was looking for... :x :evil:
I haven't been that ticked off since I last played a text-based adventure.
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:49 am

Update: I just got NiGHTS - Journey of Dreams, and it was a good investment! It makes me wish I could play the original version for Saturn, but since I own neither that game or the console this will make do.

This game is lovely lovely twisty sparkly madness, and my 7-year-old nephew sits enthralled as he watches me play it. Strangely enough, he knew it was a Sonic related game as soon as he saw it!
I only wish I was better using the nunchuk to control the damn thing (maybe I'd better use the GC controller for this one?). Oh, and having to sit through those damn cut-scenes every time I restart the game is sucky. And some of the other challenge levels are annoying (mostly due to the control problems), but the flight stages are fun fun fun!
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Return to Games and Gaming