Quick Number Puzzle

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Quick Number Puzzle

Postby RaharuAharu » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:48 am

It is 2020, 8 years after an atomic war... You find yourself in the basement of a Texas University,
in the basement you find a large steel door, with a LED display and a numerical key pad.

You must enter the last number in order to unlock the steel door.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: Quick Number Puzzle

Postby strange_person » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:25 pm

No idea.

Can I use my 'Architecture and Engineering' skill to find a weak spot in the wall?

*hefts crowbar*
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby RaharuAharu » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:56 pm

Sadly no, this is purely a mathy question.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby SilverFeathers » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:17 am

My question is why do we WANT to get through the door? Motivation plz? #_@
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Anna » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:11 am

I'm doomed!

Texas University??
What makes you think I would ever come to the USA?
And then especiallity to Texas?
America is no place for a retirement, I still prefere Europe, and if there is a nuclear war, we are gone, salvation, no more stupid humans around, you can play football with my skull, something that some people would like to do now.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Wizard CaT » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:26 am

It's a trick because you don't have time to enter a number or else the ghouls will get ya.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wic » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:44 pm

SilverFeathers wrote:My question is why do we WANT to get through the door? Motivation plz? #_@

The only bathroom in the building is on the other side of the steel door.

There's nothing quick in this puzzle...
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby RaharuAharu » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:58 pm

No one can figure this out?

>.< I R Sad Alien
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby arex » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:27 pm

I keep coming up with 45, but I have grave doubts.

Hnngh.
"Ahab knew, baby...I lust." -- Vet-san
arex
Apple Class Master

Postby RaharuAharu » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:57 pm

arex wrote:I keep coming up with 45, but I have grave doubts.

Hnngh.

45 is not the answer it seems : (
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby RaharuAharu » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:59 pm

Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Wic » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:58 pm

According to the patterns of the numbers, the answer gotta between between 12-99.
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby draque » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:58 pm

Wic wrote:According to the patterns of the numbers, the answer gotta between between 12-99.

What pattern makes you say that? I'm generally pretty good with these and haven't found any significant patterns so far, despite puzzling over it for a few days.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Anna » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:08 am

Dear Raharu
Don't be sad, you see, I've got a kind of brain damage, Dyscalculia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia
So I'm doomed.
But that doesn't matter, I've got no offsprings, no descendants, so my genetic illness will not spread over the earth and the universe.
But shame to the other forumites who are still to lazy to use their brain! %<
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Wic » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:53 am

draque wrote:
Wic wrote:According to the patterns of the numbers, the answer gotta between between 12-99.

What pattern makes you say that? I'm generally pretty good with these and haven't found any significant patterns so far, despite puzzling over it for a few days.

If you go over the numbers from left to right, in each line the next number is bigger then smaller and then bigger.

Ex. in the first line 7 is smaller than 8 and 6 is smaller than 9. The order seems to change in the last line, but pattern is the same, 52 is smaller than 57. Then comes a smaller number 11, so I figure the next number must be bigger than 11.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Alfador » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:10 am

98. I cheated.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby draque » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:57 am

Wic wrote:If you go over the numbers from left to right, in each line the next number is bigger then smaller and then bigger.

Ex. in the first line 7 is smaller than 8 and 6 is smaller than 9. The order seems to change in the last line, but pattern is the same, 52 is smaller than 57. Then comes a smaller number 11, so I figure the next number must be bigger than 11.

It doesn't work for the second line, though. I'm wondering if this is some sort of non-math cypher... I've tried a few things like flipping it upside down and overlaying the two sides on each other to see if they make letters, but the numbers almost seem random. I don't imagine the site it came from gave any kinds of hints?
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alfador » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 am

draque wrote:
Wic wrote:If you go over the numbers from left to right, in each line the next number is bigger then smaller and then bigger.

It doesn't work for the second line, though. I'm wondering if this is some sort of non-math cypher... I've tried a few things like flipping it upside down and overlaying the two sides on each other to see if they make letters, but the numbers almost seem random. I don't imagine the site it came from gave any kinds of hints?

The site it came from (or rather, the book that the site it came from is a transcription of) gives the complete solution on the page of the correct answer.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby RaharuAharu » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:43 am

Alfador wrote:
draque wrote:

The site it came from (or rather, the book that the site it came from is a transcription of) gives the complete solution on the page of the correct answer.

Indeed it does ^__^
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alfador » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:11 am

I'm like that... I give a good shot to solving puzzles, because I LOVE solving them on my own... but if I get stumped, I look for an easier answer. I look up the solution. I read a walkthrough. I climb the hedges if I get lost in the maze. Give it an honest shot beforehand... but if I can't do it, I'd rather cheat and know the secret than spend the rest of my life in ignorance for the sake of playing by the rules.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Next

Return to Games and Gaming