The Adoptables Thread

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Re: The Adoptables Thread

Postby ThingOfThing » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:59 pm

Man, I thought we had a lot! Between me, my girlfriend and my roommate, we've got two cats, two rabbits, and a guinea pig. We're like two chickens and a vegetable garden away from being a commune //]
There ain't no rest for the wicked, money don't grow on trees
I got bills to pay, I got mouths to feed, there ain't nothing in this world for free
I can't slow down, I can't hold back, though you know I wish I could
But there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good
ThingOfThing
Kumquat Class

Postby Monocheres » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:44 pm

Plasman wrote:And I can tell that you're the sort of person who respects the animals they keep. I know far too many people who own pets for the wrong reasons (status symbol, cuteness, impulse buy, etc.) when they don't realise the responsibility they are accepting. I mean, you're not just getting a little interactive toy that you can play with for a few minutes and then put in the cupboard - you are actually responsible for a thinking, functioning LIFE.
It's actually not that far removed from looking after a baby, when you think about it.

As long as that respect includes respecting each animal as an animal of its own species, and not as some kind of faux baby human. Beware of projecting human traits and behaviors on your pets, beware of interpreting what they do based on human standards, you are likely to overlook the real messages they are sending in their own language. I've seen cases of owners who doted upon their animals, constantly attending to what they perceived as their pets' every need, but not realizing that the result was an animal suffering from terrible stress.

Dogs for instance. They're pack animals, folks. They need to be surrounded by their pack, otherwise they perceive themselves at risk, if not in grave danger. No matter how well a dog's owners feed it, water it, walk it, play with it, and lovey-dovey it when they're home, if it's left all by itself in a house or apartment all day, barking and scratching and whining while they are at work, to my mind that isn't a discipline problem or a neighborhood nuisance. It's a creature enduring torture. Furthermore, to feel secure, a dog needs its pack to have an established pecking order, with every member in their place in the social hierarchy (if necessary, thrashing it out between them to establish dominance and submission), including a definite alpha male (and alpha female for that matter) at the top. If you are not clearly the alpha dog in the pack, then your pet dog will feel the need to take that role. If your dog is too young or submissive to be the alpha, the burden will be too great for it and your dog will suffer terrible anxiety. If you insist on engaging in behaviors that are sometimes dominant, and sometimes submissive (as the dog perceives them), then you will confuse the poor dog and again they will suffer anxiety. For instance, dogs whine to show distress or submission, and growl to establish dominance. Human speech, with its constant modulation of pitch and intonation, sounds to a dog sometimes like a growl, sometimes a whine. Worst of all, adult humans (clearly the dominant ones) tend to use "baby talk" -- a high-pitched, whining sound -- to socially engage infant humans (the lowest of low in the totem pole). Makes perfect sense for human babies because it's an early step in the process of teaching them language. But here's a sure fire way to drive a dog nuts: Establish your total dominance over it by deciding when and what it gets to eat, yet whenever you feel like it, talk to it like it was your little baby snook-ums. "What's going on? Why is the alpha acting all submissive at me? Oh no!"

If you're going to take good care of species X, you gotta think like an X. Fish I assume are happy in their tanks as long as the water's breathable and free of predators, and probably have little perception of their human owners except as some inscrutible cosmic source of food pellets. I don't know much about peafowl and finches and their behavior, so I can't much comment. I know even less about reptile behavior. However I doubt a kingsnake is going to be expressing any affection or doing any socializing with any other creature, even another kingsnake (except for mating I suppose). So perhaps Silverfeathers' kingsnake perceives its owner to be a very nice tree or rock for a cold-blooded creature to sit on, a convenient source of metabolism-raising warmth that is on all then time even when the sun isn't shining down on it ...
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Monocheres wrote: some inscrutible cosmic source of food pellets.

I recall a Philip K. Dick story from the perspective of a dog, slowly being driven insane by the men who came by every week to steal his owners' garbage. It might be interesting to read a similar tale about fish. Finding Nemo covered some of it, but also anthropomorphized.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby SilverFeathers » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Monocheres wrote: I don't know much about peafowl and finches and their behavior, so I can't much comment. I know even less about reptile behavior. However I doubt a kingsnake is going to be expressing any affection or doing any socializing with any other creature, even another kingsnake (except for mating I suppose). So perhaps Silverfeathers' kingsnake perceives its owner to be a very nice tree or rock for a cold-blooded creature to sit on, a convenient source of metabolism-raising warmth that is on all then time even when the sun isn't shining down on it ...

Peafowl have a very chicken-like mentality. That being said, they tend to imprint on those who raise them. I've had my peafowl since they were newborn chicks, and from day one, I was their mama. They followed me everywhere. Literally. Including into the shower. They've gotten a little wilder as they've gotten older, but they're still far more approachable than your average feral zoo peafowl. Finches are an amusement because of their own social interactions. They'll tame up and socialize with thier people sometimes, nowhere near as much as hookbills will, but they're not adverse to landing on your head and demanding attention. Or your pizza. You do get to know what individual beeps and calls mean, and they will finchspeak to you after they get to know you as their caretaker/birdslave. Pigeons mate for life and will bond with you as close as a parrot will sometimes. I had a pigeon who thought I was his mate and would do full displays for me. He'd get impressively upset if I talked to someone else while he was on my shoulder, and he'd start to get huffy, then peck and pull at my hair to get my attention. If that failed, he'd launch at the other party. Nobody expects the Pigeon Inquisiton.

Reptiles are a varied bunch that have varied personalities, like any other critter. I just know snakes since that's what I keep. Some do stress out at the merest approach, especially babies. I have a pair of babies that are "DO NOT TOUCH ME!!!" and one who is very "OMG! I've been picked up!! I--- oh, wait... It's just you, mouse supplier. You're okay." A friend of mine has two gorgeous blue rat snakes. One will strike at you in a second. The other loves to be handled. Voodoo out of all of my snakes is by far the most social. He doesn't hide usually as most snakes do. He sleeps out in the open. Comes up to the glass of the tank and looks at you with no fear or anxiety, since he shows none of the threat behavior most kingsnakes do (coiling, musking, faux rattling). You can pose him into just about any position and he'll hold it, even when perfectly warm. When hi tank was in a different place, he'd always curl up in whatever corner was nearest to wherever I was sitting. He's not headshy at all, and won't pull back if you touch his head. In fact, he relaxes and goes to sleep if you stroke the top of his head or the side of his jaw. If you stroke his back, he arches up into it like a cat, rather than try to get away like most snakes. Although I've been told that his behavior is very, very odd for a snake. So maybe I've just got the odd one out.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Plasman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:01 am

The cities are coming along well!

A suggestion: could we please place a running list of the adoptable stuff somewhere near the start of the topic? It's just that it's easy to accidentally overlook something among all the pretty pictures and stuff, and I'd hate to see a needy link go un-clicked. :kiss:
EDIT: One problem - the forum only allows 10 URLs per post, so I've had to cheat and use the forum posts for some of the links, instead of direct links.

Here's what we have so far, by the way, in terms of clickability:

SilverFeathers has a Dragon Cave (click on each of the dragons), two tubey things that need feeding (one has hatched), and a MiniCity called Haichou-Rou, which also wants to attract industry (use the URLs on the bottom of the page). There are also three little eggs that need attending to (though it looks like the host site doesn't work properly at the moment).

ThingOfThing owns a Minicity called Pachja Falls. It also needs help with industry and transport. Copy the addresses on the bottom of the page into the address bar to contribute to these worthy causes. :mrgreen:

Strange_Person offers a link to Muelsfell. It doesn't do anything immediately obvious, but it actually transmits subliminal messages urging you to buy soft drinks and candy bars, and of course, to keep clicking the banner...
Actually, I have no idea what's happening with this one - wanna explain, S_P? :lwooh:

Zazozaliad has a Minicity called Tharratt. Please respect the local customs, and avoid using noisy air brakes after 9pm.

Sorry if I missed anything. Also note that some of those sites are long-loaders, and some are not always available (for technical reasons). Please click, share and enjoy! 8)
Last edited by Plasman on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:46 am

Well, it encourages other people to join the game. Whenever I get three or more clicks (from different people, of course) in the same day, I get a few extra gold coins with which to buy parts for my magical war-machines. Twenty-five uniques in a day unlocks an in-game Achievement; enough achievements, I can build special items.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby SilverFeathers » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:21 am

I have one more adopted thing, but she doesn't need clicks.

This is Treader. She's 4Mos. GSD. You may commence with the cooing.

ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Plasman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:32 am

{pats the nice doggy woggy} :kiss:

This is Mistukeru, which apparently is Japanese for "to have been found"... and...
...this is Jiji, named after the kitty from Kiki's Delivery Service.

I don't actually own either of them, but I live with them,
and seem to be their primary source of food for some reason... :doubtful:
Be nice, and play gentle with them!
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Wizard CaT » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Hatched that other damn tube!
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Plasman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:04 am

Ker-BUMP!

Er, sorry - I forgot about this thread. Figured the owners of the adopted cities/dragons/pets/etc. would appreciate the audience.
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Wizard CaT » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:30 pm

That Valenth always seem bugged.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wizard CaT » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:09 pm

Well that sucks, I got Izzy to 200 and he didn't even change.
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Plasman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:21 am

Clicky-click-click!

Actually, I haven't been here for a while. My bad. :oops:
And some of those don't seem to be working properly any more... (Maybe I just gotta upgrade my Flash player.)
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Previous

Return to Games and Gaming