The Maw Decides Who Will Go and Who Will Stay

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

The Maw Decides Who Will Go and Who Will Stay

Postby Monthenor » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:00 pm

The demo for The Maw just hit XBox360, and I am pleased to report it is composed entirely of whimsy. It brought a pure joy to my heart that no game since...Dark Cloud 2? has done. The graphics, the music, the play is all perfectly balanced against each other to cover you in childlike glee (illegal in 22 countries).

It's the story of a bug-eyed alien (Frank) and his purple gelatinous pal with nasty sharp pointy teeth (The Maw). You lead The Maw around on a laser leash and coax him into eating little furry happy things, and eventually fiery happy lizard things, and then some maraca plants, and then the demo ends and you miss your little purple friend :(

The cutscenes are done completely without words; Frank's interaction with The Maw is done through pose and facial expressions, while The Maw's interaction with the world is done through exaggerated cartoon chomping noises.

Everybody with access to a 360 should be downloading this and playing it, and then probably buying the full game. I'm not completely sold yet...it says there are 8 levels, but is that 8 levels as long as the one in the demo? Are we only seeing one part of the first level? I have no answers to this.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Re: The Maw Decides Who Will Go and Who Will Stay

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:24 pm

I just got The Maw, and to say it is cute is an understatement. I keep feeling like I am playing a Pixar cartoon. Amazingly high quality, too. It's adorable.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Relee » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Monthenor wrote:It brought a pure joy to my heart that no game since...Dark Cloud 2? has done.

Dark Cloud 2 brought Pure Joy to your heart? Wow. I mean, it was a really good game, though I could see some spots for improvement, and the awesome story gets pretty mediocre once you leave the first town, but Pure Joy?
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Monthenor » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Relee wrote:
Monthenor wrote:It brought a pure joy to my heart that no game since...Dark Cloud 2? has done.

Dark Cloud 2 brought Pure Joy to your heart? Wow. I mean, it was a really good game, though I could see some spots for improvement, and the awesome story gets pretty mediocre once you leave the first town, but Pure Joy?

I mean that when I first booted up DC2, and the character creation screen came up, with that bouncy music and cel-shaded graphics and the perfect sound effects, that was a moment of pure joy. Also I am willing to forgive many things in the name of Time Travel.

Never mind that. I'm buying The Maw tonight. I can't stop thinking about it.

EDIT: Bought it, beat it, and I may go back for the 100%. I must amend my earlier statements; this game is actually about infantile glee. In that everything in the world exists solely to be put in your mouth om nom NOM.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Alfador » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:25 pm

Monthenor wrote:I must amend my earlier statements; this game is actually about infantile glee. In that everything in the world exists solely to be put in your mouth om nom NOM.

...is it ever going to be available for PC?
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Monthenor » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:09 pm

Alfador wrote:
Monthenor wrote:I must amend my earlier statements; this game is actually about infantile glee. In that everything in the world exists solely to be put in your mouth om nom NOM.

Well, it was done by an "independent" studio on a small budget, so maybe not.
But it was done for XBLA which is really easy to port to Windows, so maybe?

There's no official word either way, I don't even know how well it sold. But I see you popping on and off Xbox right now, you should get the demo at least.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Alfador » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:14 pm

Monthenor wrote:
Alfador wrote:

Well, it was done by an "independent" studio on a small budget, so maybe not.

There's no official word either way, I don't even know how well it sold. But I see you popping on and off Xbox right now, you should get the demo at least.

I don't HAVE an XBox. I have a Windows LIVE account from buying Fallout 3, which apparently is partially interconnectable with XBox. I can send and receive messages from people with an account on their XBox, but I can't do "party chat" apparently, whatever that is.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Monthenor » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:22 pm

Alfador wrote:
Monthenor wrote:
Alfador wrote:Well, it was done by an "independent" studio on a small budget, so maybe not.

I don't HAVE an XBox. I have a Windows LIVE account from buying Fallout 3, which apparently is partially interconnectable with XBox. I can send and receive messages from people with an account on their XBox, but I can't do "party chat" apparently, whatever that is.

Oh...right. Party chat is a big audio chat room for up to 8(?) people. It's the best thing about the new dashboard.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Alfador » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Monthenor wrote:Oh...right. Party chat is a big audio chat room for up to 8(?) people. It's the best thing about the new dashboard.

Ah, okay. I'm used to Ventrilo, Teamspeak, and in-game TF2 voice chat. Nobody seems to use the WoW in-game voice chat, because there's always one person who can't get their mike to work with it...
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Monthenor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:34 pm

Yeah, it's TeamSpeak for Xbox, and it totally saved our gaming night when the team broke up into two or three games. We can all try single-player objectives at the same place at the same time, or jump in multiplayer and stay in the party (to keep random multis out)
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Monthenor » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:04 pm

Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Alfador » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:43 pm

GLEEEEEE!!!

Valve announced today[Wednesday] that Jonathan Blow's temporal themed puzzle-action game will be released via Valve's Steam client platform on March 31 for $14.99.

=^_^=
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Tearlach » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:30 am

It wasn't bad, but kinda repetive and the characters could have moved a bit faster. Very, very short, hopefully some downloadable content will appear.

Oh, also THE MAW doesn't just chomp on stuff. He also laughs, gleefully.
And Frank say "The Maaaaaw" when calling for his friend, utterly adorable.
Tearlach
Ready For Fruit School

Return to Games and Gaming