Good News: Japanese mans gives away meals for dishwashing!

If it's something you watch or hear or read, this is the general grab-bag for it.

Good News: Japanese mans gives away meals for dishwashing!

Postby RaharuAharu » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:16 pm

http://www.tokyomango.com/tokyo_mango/2 ... shing.html

Restaurant owner gives free meals to students in exchange for dishwashing

Sadahiro Inoue is a restauranteur in Kyoto with a unique policy: anyone is welcome to dine at his joint for free, provided they do 30 minutes of dishes afterward. It's something he thought of after receiving a helping hand himself nearly 40 years ago, when he and his wife moved there and didn't have that much money. When he finally got his career of the ground and opened up shop, he put up a handwritten sign that reads:

Those of you who cannot afford to pay for your meal: eat your fill here.

Dozens of students at two nearby universities come to his restaurant to earn their meal with a half hour of labor. I think it's a neat idea — it works out great for those who don't have time for a regular job, and Inoue keeps in touch with many of his dishwashers, adopting them as family and keeping track of their progress during and after school.

What a fantastic thing! This pleases me beyond measure today.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: Good News: Japanese mans gives away meals for dishwashing!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:48 pm

Oh, I like this. This is kindness, and my very definition of good.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Wic » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:05 pm

That is actually a good idea.

My barber once offered a chance to wash the dishes to pay for my haircut. I chose to pay with money, but now I think I should've done the dishes instead; barbering experience would look good in my resume.
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby draque » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:22 am

If you consider that a sit down meal generally costs around $11 or so and the students only work for 30 minutes, that's essentially $22 an our. Which is fantastic for washing dishes.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby draque » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:22 am

draque wrote:If you consider that a sit down meal generally costs around $11 or so and the students only work for 30 minutes, that's essentially $22 an hour. Which is fantastic for washing dishes.

EDIT: I have NO IDEA what happened here... very weird glitch that must have created this second quote-post.
Last edited by draque on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:35 am

It might be quite a bit less than $22 an hour. I thought it might be the kind of budget food poor college students usually eat, so I looked around a little. His restaurant is part of a dumplings-and-ramen chain called Gyoza No Osho. According to this link, a meal only costs ¥600. So the dishwashers are earning a virtual ¥1200 an hour, or about $12.46 an hour.

Still great! Especially for a college student. I'd be ecstatic if I could find a job that paid $12.46 an hour.

I hope this man gets lots of media attention, so that people all around the country (and maybe the world) can learn from his good will.

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/200 ... 2000c.html
"Those of you who cannot afford to pay for your meal: eat your fill here."

It has been 27 years since Sadahiro Inoue put up the sign on his storefront. During peak lunch and dinner hours, he treats students who have promised to wash dishes for 30 minutes after eating to a meal at his restaurant complete with a large helping of rice. About a decade has passed since Inoue started working at the Demachi outlet of the Gyoza no Osho pot-sticker dumpling chain, close to Kyoto University and Doshisha University in Kyoto's Kamigyo Ward, and the eatery's 59-year-old store manager has become an institution among students.

Inoue moved to Osaka when he eloped at the age of 20. When he and his wife were struggling to put food on the table, an elderly couple invited them to share meals with them. Inoue was touched. Today, he can't help but see a little bit of himself in the hungry students that come to his restaurant. The storefront sign represents his heartfelt desire to be of help to struggling young people.

At times, when students are busy studying for certification exams, for example, and have no time to take on part-time jobs, five or more students can be found washing dishes at the restaurant in one day. Inoue is delighted when a former frequent dishwasher comes back to report that he has passed an exam, thanks to Inoue. Among his former dishwashers, there are even three lawyers. "I hope that former students will go on to do good deeds for others when they remember their dishwashing days," he says.

Inoue keeps all the business cards that former dishwashers have given him, and the wall by the cash register is covered with letters sent to him from those who have left Kyoto. "Your restaurant was our home away from home," one says. Another promises, "One day, I will save enough money for you to take a day off." Every time he re-reads these words of gratitude, Inoue says, he is inspired to continue working for as long as he is physically able.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Alfador » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:05 am

draque wrote:
draque wrote:If you consider that a sit down meal generally costs around $11 or so and the students only work for 30 minutes, that's essentially $22 an hour. Which is fantastic for washing dishes.

EDIT: I have NO IDEA what happened here... very weird glitch that must have created this second quote-post.

I've done that before--what happened is you hit "Quote" instead of "Edit". Look at your original post--it still says "our".
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Return to Media