Revolutionary Girl Utena

If it's something you watch or hear or read, this is the general grab-bag for it.

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Postby Tearlach » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:41 am

Having watched this anime not too long ago, I feel that I need to recommend it here because I think it could be interesting for a lot of you. It is an anime (japanese animation) and deals with gender issues. It follows the exploits of Utena Tenjou, a girl who when she was little met a prince who gave her a ring (perhaps an engagement ring) with the promise that one day it will lead her to him. This is all well, but so smitten is she with him that she decided to become a prince herself.

There is two different versions of it, a tv series of 39 episodes and a movie at 1 hour and 30 minutes. They both follow the same plot, but the characters and events are a lot different between the two. The movie also sacrifices the brilliant character development the series has. Furthermore, the movie is a lot more "out there" and a tad bit more explicit. Although both are good, I'd recommend the TV series over the movie.
Also, as I've understood it it is almost impossible to find this gem in the stores so you are almost forced into piracy to get it (maybe not the movie).

So, (unless Jennifer doesn't want me to) I'd gladly point you to a torrent for it. Just drop me a pm (or if Jennifer says it is okay, I'll just edit in a link in this post).

Edit: Oh, also. The music sounds at times as megadeath as performed by a japanese orchestra. There are also some classical pieces, this anime features an excellent soundtrack.
Tearlach
Ready For Fruit School

Re: Revolutionary Girl Utena

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:35 am

Utena is one of my very favorite anime of all time.

I like both the series, and the movie as well; though I prefer the series, because there is... more.

On the other hand, the movie does rock mightily. No question.

I love absolutely everything about it, but especially, especially the music. Damn it has great music. I mean... damn.

Utena is just utterly special.

Now I bought the series back when it was possible to do so, and oh, am I glad I did.

Needless to say, at this point, it is worth watching.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Re: Revolutionary Girl Utena

Postby macksting » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:34 am

I fear I've seen nothing of the series, and have read only the first two manga volumes. I really must read more, but money stands in my way.
There's a rather nice AMV to Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn."
macksting
Cunning Linguist

Return to Media