New Proof Of Human Bioluminescence

If it's something you watch or hear or read, this is the general grab-bag for it.

New Proof Of Human Bioluminescence

Postby RaharuAharu » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:35 pm

http://io9.com/5317658/we-all-shine-on- ... minescence

@,@ %/ *('')*

Next time that someone says that you're glowing, check that they don't mean it literally. Researchers in Japan have finally managed to prove the existence of the human body's bioluminescence with these first-ever pictures of the body's natural shine.

Japanese researchers Masaki Kobayashi and Daisuke Kikuchi from the Tohoku Institute of Technology, along with Hitoshi Okamura explained the story behind these wonderful images:

The human body literally glimmers. The intensity of the light emitted by the body is 1000 times lower than the sensitivity of our naked eyes. Ultraweak photon emission is known as the energy released as light through the changes in energy metabolism. We successfully imaged the diurnal change of this ultraweak photon emission with an improved highly sensitive imaging system using cryogenic charge-coupled device (CCD) camera. We found that the human body directly and rhythmically emits light.

Apparently, the amount of light we emit - while always staying around a thousand times weaker than the eye can see - changes depending on the time of day, and goes in 24-hour cycles; we are at our brightest in the afternoon, and dimmest in the evening. Perhaps surprisingly, the amount of light emitted by our bodies doesn't correspond to the amount of heat given off, and thermal imaging provides entirely different visual results than the hyper-light-sensitive cameras.

Imaging of Ultraweak Spontaneous Photon Emission from Human Body Displaying Diurnal Rhythm [PLoS ONE] (Via)

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0006256
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: New Proof Of Human Bioluminescence

Postby Monthenor » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:22 pm

It's sad that harnessing this power and making it visible would probably deplete our bodies' calorie reserves in a second. Though I am intrigued that these emissions are in the visible wavelengths and decoupled from the infrared. So we could all have Dragonball auras without causing a super-fever, if we only had access to the calories?
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby draque » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:55 am

This isn't any kind of new or unpredicted phenomenon. Everything that emits heat emits some light. The chances that the wavelength of a photon emitted by a human being (while giving off normal heat) will fall within the visible spectrum is very low, but given that we emit billions and billions of photons on a regular basis, it's sure to happen every now and then. Get sensitive enough cameras, and you'll see that glow from everything that isn't at absolute zero.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wic » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:22 pm

Monthenor wrote:It's sad that harnessing this power and making it visible would probably deplete our bodies' calorie reserves in a second. Though I am intrigued that these emissions are in the visible wavelengths and decoupled from the infrared. So we could all have Dragonball auras without causing a super-fever, if we only had access to the calories?

I wouldn't mind losing a few calories.
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Return to Media