My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

If it's something you watch or hear or read, this is the general grab-bag for it.

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Postby mwchase » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:08 pm

GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

"the worlds of our imagination have really confusing rail service."
mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Lead Salad » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:12 am

I'm looking forward to season 2!
Lead Salad
Our New Friend

Postby Coda » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:18 am

Jenny, it's great to read your writing again. Nice to see you!

Edit: Chapter 5 of that last one made me cry. ^^; Excellent writing there.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Shivers » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:25 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:I wrote some MLP:Fim Conversion Bureau stories.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/1124/The-Conversion-Bureau%3A-Euphrosyne-Unchained

*whistles*
Shivers
Kumquat Class

Postby Verreaux » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:28 pm

Interesting. I'm still reading, but what I'm seeing is stories about humans in a setting only tangentially related to MLP. It seems something of a contradiction, but the conflict creates its own questions to explore. The possibility of paradise for the sacrifice of self.

Out of curiosity, Jennifer, do you enjoy the TV series? Or is it the Conversion Bureau stories that interest you?
Verreaux
Our New Pal Can Write!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:28 am

Verreaux wrote:
Out of curiosity, Jennifer, do you enjoy the TV series? Or is it the Conversion Bureau stories that interest you?

I absolutely adore the series. Can't get enough of it. It has stolen my soul.

Which is pretty nice, actually, since I haven't had my soul properly stolen in some time, and I am relishing the delight of slavishly serving my new dark... um, bright and party-colored.... evil.... um, ok, well, sweet and good.... master.

Basically, the series has brightened my life and become my new, shortdurpersav - short duration personal savior.

That said, the Conversion Bureau scenario just gobbled my attention and interest.

Basically, Equestria is heaven. I have long maintained that the only decent depiction of heaven is found in cartoons. Cartoons are colorful, anything at all can happen, almost always it is fun, and no one can truly die (anime excluded, OK? I'm talking more Looney Toons than Akira, here). And man, is Equestria just this side of heaven, which makes it perfect for the ol' Singularity story, the 'Rapture Of The Nerds' where humanity can be exchanged for the going rate of paradise plus a fun new body.

CB stories are basically Pony Rapture stories, and that is just so freaking twisted that, well, the twisted part of me can't get enough.

Besides, well, it should not be any surprise that if, impossibly, the scenario in the Conversion Bureau world somehow really happened, I would be clawing my way to be first in line. I'd be chugging that cherry-flavored female-only nanotechnomagical goo faster than an octopus can gobble a shark (they apparently do that, astonishing!), and I would not ever look back.

But then, escape from Crapsack Earth has always been a dream of mine, from the first moment I realized that death and permanent injury actually were real things and not just words.

I watch My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic to experience a moment of innocent joy in the middle of a crapsack world.

I write Conversion Bureau stories to cope with the horror that my only relief from the world is brief flashes of fantasy.

Bottom line? MLP:Fim makes life about 20% cooler for me.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby RaharuAharu » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:05 am

Fallout: Equestria

Friendship, Friendship never changes.....

Its up to 41 Chapters now, and I am enjoying the heck out of it. So much so that I will be using the Savage Worlds system to run a game set in it.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/04/story-fallout-equestria.html now up to chapter 41!

http://giftkrieg23.deviantart.com/art/Savage-World-of-MLP-FiM-202882708 The Savage world of MLP RPG, Its so well made and written it looks like a fully licensed product!
You will need the Savage world core book ($9.99 or torrentable)

and if your gona play in an Pony RPG you will need to make a pony right, here!
http://generalzoi.deviantart.com/art/Pony-Creator-Full-Version-254295904

Full posable, backgrounds, faces, expressions, importable cutie marks, it has it all! Enjoy!
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:40 am

My fourth, and final Conversion Bureau story is in progress.

The Conversion Bureau: Teacup, Down On The Farm
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/1486/The-Conversion-Bureau%3A-Teacup%2C-Down-On-The-Farm
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Coda » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:52 am

I'm at the edge of my seat here! I love how your writing makes it easy to follow without having to know much of anything about MLP:FIM beforehand. Let us know when you update!
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:53 am

Coda wrote:I'm at the edge of my seat here! I love how your writing makes it easy to follow without having to know much of anything about MLP:FIM beforehand. Let us know when you update!

YAY!!!!

I am up to chapter six, now, on Teacup, just so you know. I update about once per day, with a new chapter. Each chapter runs from 2500 to 7000 words, with 3400 being most common.

Right now, doing these stories is my most fun in life, so you have just officially made my day.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby mwchase » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:29 am

Wait wait wait... 2500+ words a day?

I don't suppose you're considering participating in NaNoWriMo this year? With a rate like that, and no editing (since it's just a rough draft)... Suffice to say, you could probably leave all of my past efforts in the dust, even my end-of-the-line sprint from last year.

I haven't read the stories yet, sadly. Need to find the time to read them, and also some other fic that I've been neglecting.
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

"the worlds of our imagination have really confusing rail service."
mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Coda » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:08 pm

If Jennifer writes a NaNo, I WILL READ IT.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Tychomonger » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:03 am

I am really loving these stories!

I take issue with the viewpoint that one of your characters takes. She says something to the effect of all the works of man are to make a painful hostile universe less painful. While that is a driving force behind technological advancement, there is another force which is just as important: curiosity. We seek to unravel mysteries. We try to solve puzzles. We want to know whats under that dang rock that's too heavy to move on our own, so we build a lever to push it aside. A single loose thread will nag at us, we can't resist pulling on it and seeing a whole slew of fairly consistent ideas fall apart as their falsehood is revealed.

Curiosity is mankind's greatest virtue, and if I had to give that up to get blue skies clean air and friendly faces, I would not make the trade.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:03 am

Tychomonger wrote:I take issue with the viewpoint that one of your characters takes. She says something to the effect of all the works of man are to make a painful hostile universe less painful. While that is a driving force behind technological advancement, there is another force which is just as important: curiosity.

I think there is an argument, rather Dawkins, really, that curiosity itself only exists because it serves the need of avoiding pain, which is equivalent in this case to survival. Selfish gene and all that. Man exhibits curiosity only because it is a subroutine that increases survival options and opportunities, with only a small attrition rate. Benefit exceeds attrition, so it is part of the tool kit.

Curiosity is common to all animals with brains. Even rats have curiosity -indeed, they have an extraordinary amount of it! I would argue there is nothing special about curiosity, and the MLP:Fim equinoids clearly have curiosity. It tends to get them in trouble now and then in the series, actually. One of the main characters is primarily defined by the trait of curiosity, in fact.

So in any case, curiosity is NOT a trait that Conversion would lose one bit.

Ultimately, though, I do tend to think that there is nothing special about any species, including Man, that cannot be explained as just another evolutionary adaptation that increases survival, and increased survival is pretty much synonymous with decreased pain.

Livin' good is Livin' easy.

In short, the part of my brain that denies anything magical or mystical must conclude that curiosity is nothing to be proud of, because it is just a basic tool in the kit of all living species. Man's expression of it is utterly expected, and a natural extension of being a successful primate. Nothing special here, at all.

However, the part of my brain that can be 'Woo-Woo' and totally Tin Foil Hat Mystic Koo-Koo (Yay!) can agree, and revel in Our Wonderful Human Spirit Of Curiosity. Accent on the 'Spirit' there.

So, science: Man is just another ape with a standard curiosity module. Magic: Man has a unique soul driven to seek knowledge, Blessed Be.

Just pick your ticket, price: One Mind.

Or, waffle around in the middle, like me, with two tickets. Whatever works.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby draque » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:41 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:
Tychomonger wrote:Ultimately, though, I do tend to think that there is nothing special about any species, including Man, that cannot be explained as just another evolutionary adaptation that increases survival, and increased survival is pretty much synonymous with decreased pain.

Livin' good is Livin' easy.

In short, the part of my brain that denies anything magical or mystical must conclude that curiosity is nothing to be proud of, because it is just a basic tool in the kit of all living species. Man's expression of it is utterly expected, and a natural extension of being a successful primate. Nothing special here, at all.

Hrm... I would agree that curiosity isn't anything more than an evolved survival strategy, but I don't think that in any way detracts from the uniqueness of human curiosity. That we're able to both wonder how complex systems function and actually figure that out is a one-two combo that we haven't found elsewhere in nature yet. Even if it's a quirk of evolution (and I do agree there), I still think that's pretty special.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Verreaux » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:07 am

So much pony... Ponibooru, twenty pages each morning. Still have those two conversion bureau stories left to read. Feel like leveling up some Ponymon. Why does "leveling" not have a double "l"? "Luna Eclipsed" this morning, three kinds of awesome. Favorite new music coming from Bronies. Fluttershy songs are best. Madmax joined the Tumblr bloggers. So much pony...

And I am thrilled that Jennifer has found a new muse and - ahem - gotten back on the horse.
Verreaux
Our New Pal Can Write!

Postby Alfador » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:54 pm

Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:12 am

Well, I was out of town so I was just now able to finish up Teacup, Down on the Farm, and I have to say -- a marvelous piece of writing. EXCELLENT job, Jennifer! :) That was honestly and truly heartwarming, something I haven't felt in a while.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Coda » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:13 am

Jenny! I thought you said Teacup was going to be your last Conversion Bureau story! XD So I didn't even think to look for Eight and a Half Ponies ^^; I wouldn't have known you were writing it if I hadn't linked your author page to a friend so he could read your stuff. And good stuff it is! I'm really interested in how this is going to progress.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

PreviousNext

Return to Media