So... Wall street protests.

If it's something you watch or hear or read, this is the general grab-bag for it.

So... Wall street protests.

Postby Wic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:36 pm

I just found out about them today and it has been going on days for now. Only NYTimes and Guardian seems to talk about it. There's definetly some media blockage going on here. I dunno, it all reminds me of Russia.

Also, this makes me mad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ05rWx1pig
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Re: So... Wall street protests.

Postby Coda » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:16 am

I seriously need someone to explain this to me. The "Occupy Wall Street" website doesn't help give me any idea of what the ACTUAL GOAL is. I understand there's protests going on about greed and corruption in the financial center, but I can't find a concise description of any SPECIFIC points of criticism or SPECIFIC demands of change. Without such statements, these protests are... simply a gratuitous show of youthful rebellion. Peaceful, nonviolent rebellion, yes... but it's like a goth kid disregarding the opinions of authority JUST FOR THE SAKE OF defying authority.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby draque » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:13 am

Does it matter whether they're making an intelligent point or not? It seems to me that the issue here is that the police are abusing authority in general and the protesters in particular. Even assuming that the protesters have no point whatsoever, they're still doing nothing wrong.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Anna » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:53 am

Yes off course, going into a tiny room, working on a programatic paper, elect a leader and the guys around, need a few weeks or months and then step out into the world, when the dynamics and so is gone.
Hey, you there upstairs! That's what you would like, ey?
Forget it, we are are here, we are loud and we are many, a lot of people!!!

If the protesters around the world become more and more, then there could be a good chance of a big movement that can not be ignored, even because there is no "leadership". That's what it makes it so dangerous.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Coda » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:29 pm

draque wrote:Does it matter whether they're making an intelligent point or not? It seems to me that the issue here is that the police are abusing authority in general and the protesters in particular. Even assuming that the protesters have no point whatsoever, they're still doing nothing wrong.

Don't get me wrong; I think the police handling of things was terrible and no one should be treated like that, whether they have a valid point or not.

No, my problem is like what Anna said: With no direction, it could be dangerous. Change for the sake of change is no better than no change at all, and protests without a goal are not much better than not protesting.

And more pragmatically: How do I know if I agree with them or not if they don't have a platform to agree with? I can't support them OR debate them.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Wizard CaT » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:58 pm

~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby InterNutter » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:35 pm

I've listened to some protesters who are coherent (you know, the ones the media usually doesn't cover) and they don't have one specific goal. They have a number of goals, the most prominent being, "Tax the rich". Another is bringing back a little old thing called "democracy", where an individual's vote counted for something.

One of their other goals is to eliminate the corporate purchases of government officials.

Corporations fund government officials through campaign "donations" that come with some very hefty caveats. It is no longer a government by the people, for the people and of the people. It is a government that is a wholly owned subsidiary of Exxon, etc.

Anyone who isn't vastly wealthy does not have a say in America, any more. That's why they're out there, protesting.

I wouldn't call them a bunch of idiots if I were you.
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie...
InterNutter
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Wic » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:22 am

I read Obama tried to tax the rich, but of course Republicans blocked it.

I think this would be more effective if it was "Occupy the Congress".
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Coda » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:03 am

Good grief, that would be bloody dangerous. o.o The whole point of having a congress -- the whole point of the government being representative, the reason the US is a republic and not a democracy -- is to avoid the rule of the selfish majority. Yes, right now the protests are that we have the rule of the selfish minority, but if you get enough upset people directly influencing Congress and things will just fall apart in the OPPOSITE direction.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Return to Media