Finally watching Sailor Moon for the first time!

If it's something you watch or hear or read, this is the general grab-bag for it.

Finally watching Sailor Moon for the first time!

Postby Mitsukara » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:20 am

So I, along with two other people, have been watching Sailor Moon through from the beginning, in subtitle form, for the first time. I have seen the first few episodes a time or two long, long ago, but at last I am watching the show properly. It has... certain associations for me, with a person I knew once, and while that cemented my desire to watch it I think it might've also made me avoid it for longer. There was also the matter that it's a pretty long show and I wasn't sure how to get ahold of it all for a long time.

But no more! I am at last watching Sailor Moon, currently Season 3/S. The one that introduces Uranus and Neptune, known in the dub as 'cousins' (because lesbian incest is much more family friendly than regular lesbianism).

I have to say: I should've watched this years ago! I have the same feeling I had about not realizing Unicorn Jelly existed until about 4 years after I first read transsexual.org. This is one of the bestest things ever. This is well worthy of a spot as one of my favorite things there is.

I don't know how I can sum it up exactly. The character development, the pacing, the combination of humor and seriousness, the mythical themes and the wonderful romantic stories... I truly love this show. It is really great. I think it may be my favorite anime series now.

To say nothing of how good the main storyline, about Serenity and Endymion and the Silver Millenium and Crystal Tokyo and all that stuff has been, I find the side characters fascinating, even tantalizing that they should often be so short when they feel like they could be fully developed series unto themselves. Naru ("Molly" in the dub) and Umino ("Melvin") in particular are always awesome to see again.

And the four generals of the Dark Kingdom- Jadeite, Nephrite, Zoicite, and Kunzite- they feel like maybe they were once heroes in much the way the Sailor Scouts are, perhaps led by Endymion (always showing up with a rose and a cheesy speech) much the way Sailor Moon leads in her group- pulled asunder by brainwashing and tragic circumstances, drawn into ruin by Beryl's ambitions (and one wonders if she, herself, only went quite as far off the deep end as she did as a pawn of Metallia, the vast, incomprehensible being sealed inside the sun. I wonder if Metallia is related to Death Phantom...? I am thinking so, but I'll have to see the rest of the series to find out/form more of a theory).

But each of the four generals= most especially Nephrite and Zoicite- are fascinating to me. Even though I know their day is past with the end of the first season, I keep thinking back on them, imagining them as heroes in their own right (indeed, Nephrite especially... but i would prefer not to spoil that for anyone who hasn't seen the show. Suffice it to say the storyline with him and Naru had very strong emotional pull to me, not least of which because it reminded me of an experience of my own when I was as young as her).

And something about seeing Zoicite and Kunzite as a couple always kind of makes me smile... even though they were framed as villains, their relationship always seemed not to be condemned as evil, but rather treated in a sympathetic light, as a good thing, and Kunzite's last words are even a plea to meet Zoicite's soul in the afterlife. I remind you, Zoicite and Kunzite are both men (though Zoicite is... not the manliest fellow). Seeing this sort of thing in something that was so mainstream is actually kind of amazing, to me, and I have deep respect to the show for it.

Perhaps it is a misunderstanding on my part of the difference between America and Japan's conceptions of homosexuality, but this show seems remarkably progressive and friendly. I have high hopes for the rest of this show.

I mean, not every single bit of it ever is completley awesome. The Four Phantom sisters in the Black Moon Clan arc were kind of... superfluous to the story, honestly, and the whole season seemed held back by introducing so many characters that it didn't have time to deal with them all (as opposed to the first 13 episodes of R, the "Doom Tree" arc, where Ali and En were wonderfully fleshed out characters and a lot of fun to watch). But all in all, this show is really, really good so far, and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

I know they stop being in it, but I kinda feel like Naru and Umino are so awesome they could've had a spinoff. Does anyone else feel that way?

Anyway, I just wanted to talk about this for a while, since it's such a cool thing and I am enjoying it so much. I know I'm several years behind the curve on this one, but it's so good that it deserves mention, and it'd be fun to discuss if anyone else remembers the show/has some thoughts on it.

That said, I'd like to avoid spoilers for the parts I haven't seen yet (most of S, all of SuperS/the one with the Pegasus, and Stars/the last one, never released in America- and the S and SuperS movies); I can divert my eyes if need be, so if you have something to say about it go ahead, but respect is appreciated.

Moon prism power!
(^^>
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Re: Finally watching Sailor Moon for the first time!

Postby Verreaux » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Okay. Episode 1 made me laugh a bit, but it felt more silly than funny.
Verreaux
Our New Pal Can Write!

Postby Mitsukara » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Not sure if I'm serious, or the show...?

The show, if you watch it all, gets MUCH deeper and more serious and darker (episodes 23-24 of the original season- the last two about Nephrite- are a key point for that, as well as a bunch of other stuff towards the end of the first season). Some parts are frivolous upbeat comedy, and others are dead serious drama with epic fantasy overtones.

There is some fairly serious death stuff in the show, and some fairly serious growing up stuff, and stuff about what constitutes a good relationship, and some other things.

As I said, this show is so awesome in my personal opinion that it's one of my favorite things now. I feel like it was some missing piece in not just my cultural knowledge, but rather almost like it was some missing part of my soul or something (to get a bit cheesy). It is very much a "I should've done this years ago!" thing, for me.

But, to each their own... ^^'

Also: make sure you watch the subtitled originals, not the dubs. This is one of those really bad dubs where entire scenes and episodes are cut, besides for the dialogue being all mangled and the acting being terrible. This is a dub that went to the trouble of editing out a scene (using awkwards, backwards-played footage of her falling to "climb back up") where someone survives a fall off a balcony by using a parasol. Seriously, gotta go with the subtitles on this one.
Hello! ^^

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Coda » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:05 pm

You should check out the live-action show. I loved it.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Wizard CaT » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Mitsukara wrote:I don't know how I can sum it up exactly.

Talking cats.

Fuck ya.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Mitsukara » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Luna and Artemis ARE kinda awesome...

>.>

*runs off to write disturbing shipping fanfic of Artemis and Minako*

Nahhhhhhh not really. It'd be interesting, though.
Hello! ^^

Mitsukara
Melon Class

Return to Media