GO VOTE!

Postby Tychomonger » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:42 am

Today is Super Tuesday, theres a good chance there is a primary happening in your state today.

GO VOTE!
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Re: GO VOTE!

Postby Anna » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:42 am

Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Monocheres » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:11 am

The ancient Greeks used to vote by writing their choice on an ostracon = pot-shard, a piece of broken pottery, of which there were always plenty lying around. (Since the Greeks would vote not only to fill public offices but also to banish trouble-makers, "potsharding" (ostracism) eventually became a euphemism for "banishment".) Those ostraca are still found all over the place to this day, solid evidence of which way the ancient Greeks voted.

Call me a traditionalist, but I like that idea: solid evidence. Oh, I don't think we need ceramic ballots, paper will do just fine. But electrons are just not solid enough for my taste. I distrust electrons, possibly because I deal with them so closely in my work, and familiarity breeds contempt. (*mutters under breath* Shifty little buggers...)

Oh, don't get me wrong, electrons are fine to handle the grunt-work of counting and tabulating. For instance my state makes you use a pencil to fill in little circles on a piece of paper, which then gets read by an optical scanner, after which everything else happens in wires and transistors. But if there's any doubt, any controversy, you can always pull out those stacks of paper and apply the ultimate electoral backup plan: count 'em by hand.
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monocheres » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:06 am

Shackler wrote:Hahaha what the hell? It's been pretty well established that all the allegations of vote-rigging were basically just people trying to incite some kind of panic or break a shocking and controversial story. Your article said that media silence will cause the vote to be subverted, but quite the contrary-- the idea of the vote being subverted was created by the media, or rather by the "blogosphere". Bloggers claim that the mainstream media ignored them because it's part of a vast conspiracy, yet in reality the mainstream media ignored them because their theory is utterly wrong, and we haven't become that sensationalist yet.

I concur, and would add this: I'm immediately skeptical about extravagant claims of "vast conspiracies", because:

Benjamin Franklin wrote:Three people can keep a secret ... if two of them are dead.

Large organizations leak like sieves. The larger the leakier. Even when they are duty-bound to secrecy, there are leaks. Even when it is destructive to one's own national security (i.e., possibly suicidal), there are leaks. And this seems to be getting more and more true, the more interconnected the world becomes. So whenever someone proposes that some unfortunate occurrence is due to some deep, dark Machiavellian plot involving nefarious skullduggery on a continental scale, I have to ask, how come none of Dr. Evil's disgruntled henchmen ever went gabbling to CNN? There should be a whole line of them by now...

Besides, however much fun it might be to contemplate the works of the Illuminati, there's a much simpler theory (i.e. more resistant to Occam's razor) that can explain why things sometimes go wrong: incompetence. I believe many of those cases of voting irregularities can be traced to local election boards and officials making poor choices, working on the cheap, cutting corners, or just being downright stupid. Just remember Grey's Law:

Any suffciently advanced incompetence is indistiguishable from malice.
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Mitsukara » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:54 pm

Oops. I'm not registered.

All the cantidates suck though. Can I write in for Al Gore on the final vote? :dead:
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Monocheres » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:33 pm

Mitsukara wrote:All the cantidates suck though

Um ... this is something new?

A co-worker of mine has a T-shirt that says:

Cthulhu for President.
Why vote for the lesser evil?
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby RaharuAharu » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:52 pm

This post is made from 100% recycled electrons.

C*
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Asher Omega » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:46 pm

Vote Cthulhu for '08! why settle for the lesser Evil?
Commiter of the worst crime: Schism of the Mind.
Asher Omega
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Wizard CaT » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:39 pm

Voting isn't kool grandpa!
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Sparksol » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:06 pm

Took my cue from Brewster's Millions and went with None Of The Above.

Also, why is Cthulhu considered the greater evil, exactly?
"Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way."

- strange_person
Sparksol
100 Post Little Master

Postby Alikat » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:48 pm

Who says there aren;t any leaks? The leaks are simply laughed off after the whistleblowers are marginalized. The 2004 Presidential Election showed EXTREME voting irregularities in Ohio, as the most egregious example of probably ballot box tampering.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monocheres » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:12 pm

Sparksol wrote:Also, why is Cthulhu considered the greater evil, exactly?

See the Wikipedia entry. Cthulhu is a gigantic monstrous tentacled being, one of the "Old Ones" created by H. P. Lovecraft. Considered the epitome of horror and evil (to the extent of even becoming a cliche for total evel). In the stories, when he comes to Earth he becomes an object of worship as one of the "Elder Gods".

Sounds like presidential material, don't he?

This must be his love-child with Kelly Osborne:
(^0^)=
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monocheres » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:41 pm

Alikat wrote:Who says there aren;t any leaks?

I sure didn't say that. I said the opposite: Big conspiracies are prone to leaks. If there were a lot of people colluding to stuff ballot boxes in Ohio, enough to change the election, then someone would have taken the story to the media. The media, ever hungry for a big story, would've blown the lid on it. It would have been wall-to-wall. But the story fizzled, because there didn't seem to be corroboration. There were a lot of glitches at the local level, but there are always local glitches. They seem more pronounced in a battleground state like Ohio, because everybody's attention is on it.

There were big discrepancies between exit polls and final election tallies in 2004, in a lot of states, including Ohio. There are two possible conclusions:

1. Nation-wide conspiracy to tamper with the election.
2. Systemic bias skewing the polls.

The going theory is that poll takers tend to be eager young Democrats, and somehow (perhaps unconsciously) tend to over-sample Democrats in exit polls; alternatively, Republican voters may have a greater tendency to shy away from eager young Democrat pollsters and therefore don't participate in exit polls as much. If poll participation rates were 56% for Democrats and 50% for Republicans, that would explain the 2004 exit poll discrepancies.
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Sparksol » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:26 pm

Monocheres wrote:See the Wikipedia entry. Cthulhu is a gigantic monstrous tentacled being, one of the "Old Ones" created by H. P. Lovecraft. Considered the epitome of horror and evil (to the extent of even becoming a cliche for total evel). In the stories, when he comes to Earth he becomes an object of worship as one of the "Elder Gods".

Sounds like presidential material, don't he?

This must be his love-child with Kelly Osborne:
(^0^)=

Actually, I'm aware of all that. I think I'm just starting to take another of my "Well, look at it from my point of view" moments/ stories in regards to C'thluhu. It has potential to be more fun than the ones I had with Godzilla, Judas (of the 30 pieces of silver fame), and the last big bad nasty boss of the most recent rpg I played with the people around here. Put together, probably.
CCC

Oh yeah. I was this close to writing in Max instead of None Of The Above.
"Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way."

- strange_person
Sparksol
100 Post Little Master

Return to The Political Arena