Just Like Marriage

Postby Relee » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:29 pm

A friend linked this on her LiveJournal.

Link

Civil Partnerships are not the same as Marriage. :/
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Re: Just Like Marriage

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:33 pm

This is something I'm going to repost in entirety here:

EXCLUSIVE: California lesbian couple allege discrimination at Fresno hospital
June 2, 7:54 PM

"As I was laying there all alone, I wondered how many people from the LGBTQ community die by themselves because they are denied a basic right. The thought frightens me."

That's what Kristin Orbin, 29, said about her ordeal at Fresno Community Hospital and Medical Center on Saturday, May 30th.

Orbin and her partner of 3½ years, Teresa Rowe, 30, who live in Northern California, were in Fresno for Meet in the Middle 4 Equality, an event protesting the California Supreme Court's ruling upholding Proposition 8.

After marching 14 miles in Central Valley heat, Orbin (who is epileptic) collapsed and suffered three grand mal seizures. A doctor at a first aid center had difficulty finding her pulse, so he called 911.

Orbin said the discrimination started as soon as the paramedics arrived.

"By that time, I was going in and out of consciousness. The paramedics wanted nothing to do with Teresa and she had to practically fight them to be allowed to ride in the ambulance. I remember one of them was very nice and agreed to let her ride with me in the back. Once we got to the hospital, they wheeled me into a hallway and left me, refusing to allow Teresa to be with me."

Orbin said the paramedic told the nurse on duty that she had collapsed after marching 14 miles for civil rights, and the nurse gave her a dirty look and said "ooooh." She continued, "I asked if Teresa could come back with me, but the nurse told me I was in a no visitor zone. When I asked her why everyone else had visitors, she said 'those people are different'."

Orbin said she went to sleep at that point, but she was awakened by a nurse giving her the benzodiazapine Ativan, a drug that causes her to have severe migraine headaches. It was then that she discovered just how bad the situation had become.

"Teresa was finally able to make her way up to the front desk and convince them to get a cell phone to me. When I talked to her, she said she had told the nursing staff not to give me Ativan, but they refused to listen to her. They refused to take my medical cards from her. They refused Teresa's offer to have my advance directive and power of attorney faxed over from UCSF."

Orbin said she asked the nurses several times if Rowe could join her, but each time they refused.

"They just kept looking at my Marriage Equality shirt and giving me dirty looks," she said.

Orbin and Rowe were not reunited until a doctor intervened a few hours later.

"When the doctor arrived, I asked him if Teresa could join me," Orbin said. "He asked me why she wasn't already with me, and I told him the nursing staff told me I was in a no visitor zone. The doctor gave me an odd look and said, 'I will take care of that'. He left the room, and a few minutes later Teresa came in, but she said she was told by the front desk that she could only stay for a few minutes."

However, Orbin said the nursing staff suddenly had a change of heart while the doctor was present and allowed Rowe to stay with her until she was discharged. "They finally figured out that we were not happy and one of the nurses came up and told Teresa that she could stay," she said. "Once she was back there people started being more kind to us, but I truly believe they were just trying to cover themselves."

The couple said they have never experienced such blatant discrimination. They are both so upset over the incident that they have contacted the ACLU for legal advice. Orbin said it was particularly upsetting that the hospital staff continually refused to acknowledge Rowe as her spouse, and failed to treat either of them with kindness or respect.

Another reminder of just how much work needs to be done to achieve true equality in the United States.

This is common and typical. This is why my family lies when we visit a hospital, and Sandi becomes my sister, or Eldenath my sister-in-law.

Those of you who think gay marriage and equality are not important, should try to imagine yourself in the place of either of these two women.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Monocheres » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:37 pm

Although it's possible that doctor simply castigated the nursing staff for exposing the hospital to a potential liability suit, I hold out hope that what he actually said to them was:

"You are all bound by your swearing of the Hippocratic Oath. Need I remind you that the first tenet is to do no harm? I'll be damned if I allow the welfare of one of my patients to be jeopardized because my team could not leave their politics at the door. If a patient requests the presence of a caregiver, I don't care if that person is her hair dresser, her tax accountant, or her voodoo priestess, you are going to allow her to facilitate my patient's care. Is that clear?"

My dad is a doctor (now retired). It's the kind of thing I think he'd say.

There are many manifestations of basic human decency. The Hippocratic Oath is one of them. I hope they outnumber the manifestations of human depravity, but ... it remains to be seen.
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Relee » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:42 am

Do the desk clerks at hospitals have to swear a hippocratic oath? I thought they were just secretaries and voulenteers.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Monocheres » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:38 am

Oh well, I was just thinking of the nursing staff not letting her come in and stay by her partner's bedside. For that matter, I don't even know if nurses swear the Hippocratic Oath. Anyway, it's not that important to the point, I think my dad would have just argued that the requested presence of a loved one is part of the therapeutic process and politics over who should or should not be counted as a "loved one" should just be left at the door.
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:29 am

I'm pretty sure nurses take the oath as well. I know a nurse, and I remember her talking about taking the oath.

Monocheres wrote:"You are all bound by your swearing of the Hippocratic Oath. Need I remind you that the first tenet is to do no harm? ...

"First, do no harm" isn't part of the Hippocratic Oath. The oath does say similar things though.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Wizard CaT » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:39 pm

Ashes wrote:I'm pretty sure nurses take the oath as well. I know a nurse, and I remember her talking about taking the oath.

Monocheres wrote:"You are all bound by your swearing of the Hippocratic Oath. Need I remind you that the first tenet is to do no harm? ...

"First, do no harm" isn't part of the Hippocratic Oath. The oath does say similar things though.

As to diseases, make a habit of two things - to help, or at least, to do no harm.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby RaharuAharu » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:52 pm

This sort of thinking pervades all levels of society.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stor ... 5cee5.html

On the bright side, they are allowed to have foster kids.

POCATELLO - A same-sex couple and their three foster children were denied a reduced admission price to a pool in eastern Idaho because the Lava Hot Springs State Foundation says the five don't fit the definition of a family.

Amber Koger and Jeri Underwood say they and their three children were recently denied the resort's advertised family admission price.

Mark Lowe, executive director for the Lava Hot Springs State Foundation, says the state doesn't recognize gay or lesbian marriage and defines a family as one male, one female and children.

He says as a state agency the foundation must follow Idaho law.

But Monica Hopkins of the American Civil Liberties Union in Boise says state code defines marriage but has no universal definition of a family.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Return to The Political Arena