Re: "Indefinite Preventive Detention"

Postby Idiot Glee » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:13 am

Just speaking to the California issue: We aren't gonna get better in the Golden State without a constitutional convention. If we're bailed out, expect that as the federal condition on the loan. California is not in a financial, but a constitutional crisis.

The state legislature is gerrymandered to be 99.9% safe. More on this later.

The state's constitution (Proposition 13) caps property taxes too low. And freezes them at the value the property was purchased at.

The state legislature cannot pass budgets or tax increases without a super majority, to wit 75% of each chamber.

A series of amendments to the state constitution dictate a base line of spending and lock up the budget.

The gerrymandered legislature is ideologically beholden to the base of their political parties. Republicans can't vote for more taxes, and Democrats cant vote for less spending.

The gerrymandered legislature is term limited to about a decade in office, simultaneously preventing any potential for positive long term favor trading or compromises, and creating a rotating door between city/county, state, and federal offices.

Budget crises are endemic to this state. Every year we have one, good or bad economy. The new thing here is we don't have the money to play with this mess anymore.

We've had a bad constitution for a century, and an unworkable one for thirty years. We aren't bankrupt through any corruption pulling money out of programs, we're bankrupt because we can't make laws without consulting tomes that make less sense than the Vatican Archives. The state will be fine in a year or two, but the constitution is DEAD!
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:55 am

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article ... 56,00.html

1.3 billion in additional revenue, and 1 billion in reduced expenses, per annum, with one simple bill. And that's before taking into account the benefits to tourism.

California isn't dying; it's just blacking out from the bureaucratic equivalent of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Skatche » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:28 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:As the article states, the Governator openly intends to shut down everything, leaving California in roughly the same condition as a Third World nation. Even the prisons will be emptied of all but the most violent offenders. Schools will be closed, state parks closed off, and nobody gets paid who works for the state. End of line.

This is the kind of posturing politicians use all the time to get handouts from above. Toronto's been threatening to go bankrupt for years, we haven't got what we asked for, and we still haven't gone bankrupt. California's "too big to fail", and even Schwarzenegger realizes that; to be precise, he realizes it and wants to milk it for all he can.

Doesn't mean things won't get somewhat gloomy, but the catastrophe that's being threatened here is unlikely (for the next couple of years, at least).
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Wizard CaT » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:29 pm

We should preemptively pour napalm on CA to avoid any of this mess.

STU WOO wrote:Republican legislators rejected a Democratic plan to cut $11 billion in state spending, saying it didn't go far enough. California faces a $24 billion shortfall in a $92 billion general-fund budget through June 2010.

The setback for Democrats came the same day state Controller John Chiang warned that he will begin issuing IOUs on July 2 to local governments, private contractors and state vendors if lawmakers don't come up with a solution. Such a move would likely further damage California's credit rating, already the lowest among the 50 states.

Majority Democratic legislators have largely accepted Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's proposals, putting forth a plan that cuts $5.5 billion from education and $2 billion from higher education. But they proposed adding tobacco and oil-extraction taxes, which Mr. Schwarzenegger and GOP lawmakers decried.

The Democrats mustered a simple majority for their plan but fell short of the two-thirds majority needed to enact the cuts immediately.

The Senate's leader, Darrell Steinberg, said he was committed to passing a plan by July 1, and would force lawmakers to work over the weekend if necessary.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Shackler » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:47 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Number of civilizations throughout history: unknown, definitely hundreds, arguably thousands (depending on definition of civilization)

Percentage of past civilizations that have collapsed: 100%

Primary historical reason for collapse of civilization: Financial/resource mismanagement

Current primary issue of all modern civilizations: Financial/resource mismanagement

Prognosis: ? ? ?

I would say the primary issue for the United States is irrationality. Further, I predict that California will not collapse in July.
Shackler
Blueberry Class Leader

Postby Coda » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:30 pm

You can't napalm California. ;_; That's where the company that writes my paychecks is!
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Anna » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:10 am

http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 94,00.html
OBAMA'S MISTAKES
Chancellor Merkel Visits the Debt President
By Gabor Steingart

The occupant of the White House may have changed recently. But the amount of ill-advised ideology coming from Washington has remained constant. Obama's list of economic errors is long -- and continues to grow.

•••
Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:You all know I think Obama is as bad, or worse, than Bush. That I say he is owned and operated by the same powers.

Obama has just proposed Indefinite Preventive Detention.

Show Obama this classic clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b56e0u0EgQ
And that is talking by a canadian!
#_@
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Previous

Return to The Political Arena