Re: Atheist Summer Camp

Postby Relee » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:09 am

I have other 'superhuman senses' besides that, and one of them was handy today. I'm sensitive to ultra-high frequency sounds, and they give me a very distracting and uncomfortable feeling. Most people are entirely unaware of them. There's a few sources that can create them, and all are electrical. Some flourescent bulbs make the sound when they get old, a television will make the sound if it is turned on but not tuned to any particular channel, and electronic speakers will make the sound if they're on but not producing audible sounds either.

Earlier today I was given a tour of a small special community center, and they told me that there was a television in a box. I already knew about this, however, and told them "I think the television is on right now." she went to check, but the box was locked, but that the box felt warm and asked how I knew. I explained that I was sensitive to ultra-high frequency sounds, and I could feel it on.

It's actually been really awkward, because people are largely unwilling to believe in it, and it's excessively uncomfortable and distracting. In college lecture halls they occasionally have a television set to a neutral blue-screen, or a speaker system that is on but not in use, or a particular flourescent bulb, and they would become terribly upset when I asked them to turn one of those things off. They refused to believe that anything was going on, and that I was just trying to be a pest.

They can't hear or feel it, so they don't believe it exists. With air, at least you can feel the air resistance, and notice when there's a smell or not enough to breath. But with a sound you can't hear, it's very difficult to believe in. Seeing something so absolutely true and relatively easy to prove and yet people get angry at the idea of it, it's no wonder they can't believe in something like telepathy. Hell, a lot of people don't believe in Psychology either.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Shackler » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:15 am

The television noise is really annoying.
Shackler
Blueberry Class Leader

Postby Jade Cat » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:46 pm

The TV being on but not really ON is terrifically irritating. I have one in my room for console gaming purposes and it has to be unplugged while I sleep. Even if it didn't make noise the faint green glow of the screen being in 'standby' would creep me the hell out anyway. The X Box itself makes an ungodly shriek that I can't tune out unless there's game sounds going on as well. I can't hear fluorescent lights but I see them strobe as they get older, not so fun.
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Jade Cat
Blueberry Class

Postby Alfador » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:20 am

I can hear that too; however, I haven't found it to be TERRIBLY annoying, since my brain tends to tune it out if it's constant over a long period of time. I've even been in a room with a ticking clock, unable to hear it unless I plug my ears for a few seconds to "reset" the getting-used-to.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:28 pm

I can hear TVs and monitors idling, as well. Sensitivity to high-frequency sound is pretty standard for young people and it fades with age in most people, but not everyone. High school and college students have taken to using very-high-frequency tones as ringtones for their phones so the teachers can't hear them.

Jade Cat, it's good that you don't have a Mac. :P Those things BREATHE at night -- their "standby" light slowly pulses between off and soft white.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Wizard CaT » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:41 pm

Any doctor/science teacher can tell you that being able to hear electronics just means your ears are sensitive. A few years of blasting rock and or roll will fix that ^_^

Relee wrote: Hell, a lot of people don't believe in Psychology either.

Piff applied science my ass.

Jade Cat wrote: I can't hear fluorescent lights but I see them strobe as they get older, not so fun.

Isn't that normal?
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Relee » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:10 am

Incidentally, don't use that moquito noise as a ring-tone. It causes a friend of mine to have seizures.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Plasman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:30 am

Jade Cat wrote:The TV being on but not really ON is terrifically irritating. I have one in my room for console gaming purposes and it has to be unplugged while I sleep.

It's probably a good idea to leave it off anyway, since appliances in Standby chug up a LOT of power without you knowing it. I don't even bother setting the clock on my VCR unless I'm presetting it to record, as otherwise it just stays unplugged. </tangent>

I once had an argument with a friend regarding this. We were about to leave the house, so she turned off the Pay-TV box, but didn't quite turn off the TV. All it did was display a black screen, which was what the Pay-TV showed in "Standby" mode :dwooh: . It looked almost as if the TV were off as well, but I could still hear the "TV on" sound, and told her that it was still on.
"No, it's not, it's off..." "It's on!" "Off!" "ON!" "OFF!" etc.
I even proved my point by changing the channel on this supposedly "Off" TV, but she just accused me of turning it back on, and etc. etc. ... :frown:

Incidentally, does anyone find it weird that a TV has to draw in shades of black? I mean, you could be looking at a black screen in a dark room and there'd probably still be a glow. Just sayin'. :rwooh:
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Skatche » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Plasman wrote:Incidentally, does anyone find it weird that a TV has to draw in shades of black? I mean, you could be looking at a black screen in a dark room and there'd probably still be a glow. Just sayin'. :rwooh:

All those 'lectrons gotta go somewhere.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Coda » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:48 pm

A cathode tube generates blacker blacks than an LCD panel does.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Alfador » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:35 am

Coda wrote:I can hear TVs and monitors idling, as well. Sensitivity to high-frequency sound is pretty standard for young people and it fades with age in most people, but not everyone. High school and college students have taken to using very-high-frequency tones as ringtones for their phones so the teachers can't hear them.

Jade Cat, it's good that you don't have a Mac. :P Those things BREATHE at night -- their "standby" light slowly pulses between off and soft white.

Some laptops do that too!! I know because for a while I had my laptop on hibernate in my bedroom, and after my eyes adjusted to the darkness, it seemed like a soft blue glow pulsed on and off.

This will happen again when I finally get it fixed. Currently the repair shop has taken about a month and a half to fix all the motherboard/display/DVD drive problems with it... and now is dragging their heels on getting me my files back. "Oh, the hard drive looks like it's about to fail, we'll need to replace that. What? Oh, sure, we'll copy everything over." Bullshit. They installed FUCKING VISTA on it and copied a few folders. That does not qualify as everything. They still have the hard drive and are getting an enclosure for it. I will return there to demand they either clone the entire thing over including the master boot record... or just reinstall the original hard drive and refund the cost of the new one, imminent failure be damned.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:59 am

That's stuffed that they didn't copy the data verbatim; that should have been the very first thing they did.

Uh, you didn't have anything... suspicious on it, did you? Nothing that would require a detailed explanation (to the police, for instance)?
I'm not saying that you would... :blush:
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alfador » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:35 am

Plasman wrote:That's stuffed that they didn't copy the data verbatim; that should have been the very first thing they did.

Uh, you didn't have anything... suspicious on it, did you? Nothing that would require a detailed explanation (to the police, for instance)?
I'm not saying that you would... :blush:

No... nothing illegal except ROMs and mp3s. Besides, if they had found anything like that I'd have had police knocking down my door weeks ago--they've had it in their possession since JUNE.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Previous

Return to The Political Arena