Ireland Criminalizes Blasphemy

Postby Relee » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:55 am

Well this is probably one of the dumbest laws ever passed. ^.^;;

I've got a couple links here. Link 1 is a news article about it. Link 2 is a more biased article that I was originally linked to.

It's kinda messed up. ^.^;;
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Re: Ireland Criminalizes Blasphemy

Postby marinschild » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:47 am

This law really has me puzzled, especially the libel part. Does that mean that you get arrested for saying that god is a *expletive* even if you clearly expressed that it was your opinion? Opinions aren't subject to libel are they? I also wonder if this blasphemous libel law will apply to all religious deities or just the one referred to as Abraham's god. If that is the case, then I wonder what would happen if you blasphemed Allah, an obscure neo-pagan god, or even Rob Halford.

EDIT
I guess it will finally be legal to arrest people for wearing Cradle of Filth tee shirts now.
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby draque » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:24 am

Section 36:3 of the legislation is particularly chilling.

It shall be a defence to proceedings for an offence under this section for the defendant to prove that a reasonable person would find genuine literary, artistic, political, scientific, or academic value in the matter to which the offence relates.

Read this carefully, and you'll see that the defendant is guilty until proven innocent. They must provide proof to the contrary of their conviction. This law is fucked up in a number of ways in addition to restricting free speech.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:06 pm

I am now ashamed that I am 1/4 Irish. Fuck.

More importantly, Fuck God.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Monocheres » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:13 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Fuck God.

That might actually be fun. Well, Goddess.

//]
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:23 pm

Monocheres wrote:

//]

We will have a mighty orgy
In the honor of Astarte
It'll be one helluva party
And that's good enough for me.

Oh the Christians are a humming
'Cause they say their God is Comin'
But our God has come two times tonight
And the Goddess at least three

We'll be met by Aphrodite,
She looks gorgeous in her nightie
She's kind of wild and flighty
But she's good enough for me.

There will be a lot of lovin'
When we're meeting in our coven,
Quit your pushin' and your shovin'
So there's room enough for me.

It was good enough for Sappho
With her Lady on her lap-o
She put Lesbos on the map-o
With her Pagan Poetry.

Gimme that old time religion
It's good enough for me!
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Relee » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:13 am

Monocheres wrote:

//]

Speaking of which, has anybody else noticed how much of a sexual figure the Archangel Gabriel has become in modern Anime? It seems like every other anime I watch anymore has a moe loli Gabriel running around in ruffles and lace and blowing people up with divine judgement.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby strange_person » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:48 am

Relee wrote: moe loli Gabriel

Wouldn't that technically be a moe shota Gabriel?
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Ejia » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:52 am

Maybe they're Gabrielles in Gabriel bodies.
This space for rent
Disclaimer: Space not actually for rent. Side effects of space include dizziness, nausea, mild diarrhea, hair loss, and/or ascent to a higher plane of existence.
Ejia
Blueberry Class

Postby Ashes » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:12 pm

strange_person wrote:

Aren't angels technically hermaphroditic? At the very least, I believe it's an extremely popular trope.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby RaharuAharu » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:58 pm

Angels if I recall are horrific looking things, wild to behold, and only very seldom take a human looking appearance. Most of the time when and Angel shows up in the bible it starts off with saying something like "Hey, hold on, don't freak out, Im an angel."

Daniel saw an angel with arms and legs resembling polished metal and precious stones, and a face like lightning (Daniel 10:5-6

5 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz:

6 His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.

7 And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves.

And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.

3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:

4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.

5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.

4 And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.

5 And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

6 And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind.

7 And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle.

8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

9 And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever,
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Relee » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:34 am

strange_person wrote:

Traditionally, Gabriel is both male and female. That is, a functional hermaphrodite. Some people think that means Gabriel can be either at their option, or is always both.

I'd link some examples but YouTube is down hard right now. ^.^;;
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Coda » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:16 pm

Hey, you forgot about the seraphim who were covered with eyes, and used four of their six wings to cover themselves (the other two, of course, were used for flying), and about the angels that look like mindboggling intersecting wheels that still manage to spin.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Monthenor » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:01 pm

And that one that split in half and they had to stab both its eyes at the same time to kill it.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Relee » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:29 am

Here is the introduction of "Agu-rin" and "Gabu-yan", who are eventually revealed to be Agariept and Gabriel, from Macademi Wasshoi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MhXt2Jw1ZM

Here is the introduction of "Mischa" who is eventually revealed to be Gabriel in Toaru Majustu no Index. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRLz5p60zZ0&fmt=18
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:58 am

urbs#2 urbs#3 urbs#6 urbs#5 urbs#5

I'm ... almost afraid to like this show. Opening song lyrics "the magic world is paradise, miko lovers, bondage, macho, built in!" The whole opening sequence is just...
@,@
.. an army of cat girl maids! Rocketto Pawnch! Nanoha style magic! Angels that could join Genshiken and rival Legendary Girl A! WHAT IS THIS?! "Pelvic fin harem, nervous huggling, shouting unnatural sensation!" My heart was stolen by your overwhelming abilities. This feeling truly is love! Love? But if you transcend love it becomes hatred, similar to the way faith gone to far triggers war!

Will I get arrested for watching this?

Should I watch beyond the opening sequence?

Did I drink too much coffee this morning?

(^0^)=
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Relee » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:52 am

Macademi Wasshoi is fantastic, it's sort of like a cross between Harry Potter and Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, as a Harem anime. Go ahead and watch it all. I downloaded HQ versions and watched the whole series in one day, it was just so captivating. There's no full nudity or sex scenes.

My favorite part is episode 5, where they spoof Neon Genesis Evangelion when an 'angel' attacks the school. If you want to skip to the good parts, the attack starts at 5:25 in the first link. The three of these are the whole episode, unfortunately there isn't a good link of the whole 'attack'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txb_1qm6pi4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaDoeQKHnVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ23al6cqhc
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Return to The Political Arena