Re: I'm going to be sick!

Postby Wizard CaT » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:21 am

strange_person wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:Yes Relee, if you dress a certain way in a certain part of town, you are asking to be raped. It's a fact basically.

Doesn't make it any less of a crime.

I never said that. I said common sense is important. I wouldn't get on the train wearing a belt of cookie dough tubes around my waist. Adults will never be able to control kids, and kids are inherently cruel.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Tychomonger » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:32 am

Woah! That would be some genius civil disobedience! Walk around with things that might be bombs but are clearly proclaimed to not be bombs! I think that might actually have some effect at combating the culture of fear, by associating it with the humor inherent in unexpected subversion!

I know that made no sense, but I'm having a bit of trouble expressing this awesome idea. I think I don't have the right vocabulary, 'cause social dynamics are not my forte.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby arex » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:45 am

I think there's a market for exploding cookie dough.

Hnngh.
"Ahab knew, baby...I lust." -- Vet-san
arex
Melon Class

Postby Monocheres » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:03 pm

Wizard CaT wrote:
strange_person wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:Yes Relee, if you dress a certain way in a certain part of town, you are asking to be raped. It's a fact basically.

Doesn't make it any less of a crime.

I never said that. I said common sense is important. I wouldn't get on the train wearing a belt of cookie dough tubes around my waist. Adults will never be able to control kids, and kids are inherently cruel.

Tychomonger wrote:Woah! That would be some genius civil disobedience! Walk around with things that might be bombs but are clearly proclaimed to not be bombs! I think that might actually have some effect at combating the culture of fear, by associating it with the humor inherent in unexpected subversion!

I can just see it now: Tollhouse Cookie belts become the latest fashion statement. They get draped on every anorexic supermodel on the catwalks of Paris, NYC, Tokyo. All the Hollywood elites make sure to wear one whenever they appear on Leno, just to show their solidarity. Teenagers start wearing them in school to get their principal's goat; then when they get suspended, Keith Oberman interviews them on PMSNBC to make them a cause celebre. A Million-Tollhouse-March (of about 3000 Greenpeace rejects) descends on the Washington Mall to protest the success of the Surge, at which point a cookie-tube-bedecked al Qaida suicide bomber blows up several hundred of them. Silverfeathers goes about with a wheelbarrow picking up bloody chocolate-chip dough-covered body parts, and makes a nice afternoon treat of them in his EZ-Bake Oven.
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:09 pm

Get one of those custom-label-applicator guns, and put "Not a Bomb" stickers all over your stuff.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby RaharuAharu » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:09 pm

strange_person wrote:Get one of those custom-label-applicator guns, and put "Not a Bomb" stickers all over your stuff.

That is just what a "tererist" would do.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:21 pm

What? Don't be absurd. A terrorist would try to conceal the very idea that any of their possessions might be bombs. I'm merely being a good citizen, simplifying the inspector's job, and spicing up everyone's day with a Renee Magritte reference.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Wizard CaT » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:18 pm

In any case, doing something like that would still get me charged as a terrorist in all likely hood as I am creating an aspect of terror. Or some such like that. My point is obviously the kid shouldn't have been shot, no one should, arguably, get shot. There are plenty of adults that have been killed for being gay/transsexual as well. People are cruel and stupid, and you sometimes can't be yourself. Sure it's sad and depressing. Thats reality.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Yubi Shines » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:34 pm

A kid in OCAD (Ontario College of Art and Design) did just that.

He left a box on the street with the words "This is not a bomb" on it.

A bomb squad got called out and I do believe he is no longer in that college now.

Dammit, Canada, we're better than this.
Yubi Shines
Grape Class

Postby Alikat » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:21 am

Wizard CaT wrote:
Yes Relee, if you dress a certain way in a certain part of town, you are asking to be raped. It's a fact basically.
Well by all means then let's just make it the law that all women should wear burkhas so we won't be perceived by everybody as having "asked fer it."

Something is screwed up with the messagebase, I am the one who wrote this, not Wizard Cat.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:59 am

Perhaps the board is confused by the profusion of felines.
I mean there's Ali, Wizard, Jade, Emily Glee, Rosie, Alfador...

Wait, Alfador's normally a fox. Aren't foxes a kind of cat?
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Idiot Glee » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:10 am

strange_person wrote:Perhaps the board is confused by the profusion of felines.

At one point I was a Deer Girl... http://www.unicornjelly.com/oldforums/v ... l&start=75

And good work on the Krakow reference, love that comic. Maybe we have to many felines, I mean this place gets quite catty at times...
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Idiot Glee » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:16 am

Alikat wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:
Yes Relee, if you dress a certain way in a certain part of town, you are asking to be raped. It's a fact basically.
Well by all means then let's just make it the law that all women should wear burkhas so we won't be perceived by everybody as having "asked fer it."

Something is screwed up with the messagebase, I am the one who wrote this, not Wizard Cat.

Alikat, thank you. You'd said it better than I could, jarbled up in forumspace or no, you're right.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby SilverFeathers » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:42 pm

strange_person wrote:Perhaps the board is confused by the profusion of felines.

*chirps* *frets just a wee bit....*

Monocheres wrote:Silverfeathers goes about with a wheelbarrow picking up bloody chocolate-chip dough-covered body parts, and makes a nice afternoon treat of them in his EZ-Bake Oven.

EZ-bake oven INDEED~! *HUFFS and preens* And besides, they would probably be horribly dirty and debris-ridden, AND I prefer to make my dough from scratch. So there! NYAH! //]
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Monocheres » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:03 pm

SilverFeathers wrote:EZ-bake oven INDEED~! *HUFFS and preens* And besides, they would probably be horribly dirty and debris-ridden, AND I prefer to make my dough from scratch. So there! NYAH!

Thought that would get a ... rise ... outta ya.

//]
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Relee » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:23 pm

Alikat wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:

I was wondering who actually said it, but I never saw the original post. Did you delete it or something? I still can't find it.

Anyways no matter how you dress, there's no place in my town where you're asking to be raped. If there is a place like that in your town, then I think you have some cleaning up to do.

Edit: And yes that includes being butt naked in a back alley, or wearing a shirt that says "Fuck Me" on it with visual instructions for the illiterate.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Wizard CaT » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:51 pm

Alikat wrote:

I think I fixed your quote, I dunno.

No I didn't say women should be required to wear burkhas. We shouldn't make a law that you can't "act gay" either. Not even looking at the situation I remarked on Relee's nice, if idealistic, quote. If I walk around the ghetto wearing gold jewelery and shit I'm going to at -best- get robbed. At worst I'll get a cap in the head and then get robbed. Yes, we should be working to fix these kind of areas so what I say is nonsense. However are not in any meaningful way that I can see. Until we fix them, then yes you can ask to be robbed in certain parts of town.
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SilverFeathers » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:26 pm

Wizard CaT wrote:
Alikat wrote:

I think I fixed your quote, I dunno.

No I didn't say women should be required to wear burkhas. We shouldn't make a law that you can't "act gay" either. Not even looking at the situation I remarked on Relee's nice, if idealistic, quote. If I walk around the ghetto wearing gold jewelery and shit I'm going to at -best- get robbed. At worst I'll get a cap in the head and then get robbed. Yes, we should be working to fix these kind of areas so what I say is nonsense. However are not in any meaningful way that I can see. Until we fix them, then yes you can ask to be robbed in certain parts of town.

And if you live in certain cities, you can scream for help for 20 minutes and nobody will do a thing because 1. nobody wants to talk to the cops and b. they figure someone else already called it in. Big cities have a lot of public incidents with no witnesses.

In NYC, nobody can hear you scream. Well, they can, but they just close the window and turn the tv up louder.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Relee » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:28 pm

Some towns take up a neighborhood watch, where neighbors form a sort of civilian militia to handle criminals untill the police arrive. ^.^

And yeah, obviously you wouldn't smear yourself with blood and go running naked into the forest either, but it's still the bear's choice to maul you, and it's still the rapist's choice to rape you. You didn't force their fearsome paw/one-eyed-trouser-snake. Or if you did, then it's you raping them. o.o
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Yubi Shines » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:07 pm

The bear can't really choose, though. It's a bear. You invade its space, it will smack you stupid and eat you. That's what a bear does. A human has some animal instincts, but is not a bear.

HOWEVER

While a woman dressing provocatively isn't asking to be raped,

If a woman dresses such, and goes to a place where rapes have happened, where crime is rampant, where the attacker hasn't been caught yet, then there is a "stupid" factor in there.

I don't like that that's the case, but until the rapist has been caught or a way to stop rapes happening is found, then yes, you can't dress that way and walk in that street at night alone.

Likewise, if you're in an environment such as a school where there is anti-gay sentiment and the teachers turn a blind-eye to bullying, you need to be careful. Again, it sucks that you have to, but you need to watch your own ass before you can change the rules.
Yubi Shines
Grape Class

PreviousNext

Return to The Political Arena