Couple imprisoned by Superstition blames everyone but god.

Postby RaharuAharu » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:17 pm

http://gizmodo.com/5317968/orthodox-jew ... d#comments

*blood boil*
Please be a hoax, please.

Orthodox Jewish Couple Imprisoned By Superstition, Blames Motion-Sensing Light Instead

Was that headline mean? I'm sorry, but the silliness of this story, which centers around one couple's quest to annoy/sue the hell out of their entire apartment building, warranted it. The ridiculous story unfolds like this:

On Saturdays, Dr. Dena Coleman and her husband Gordon claim they are imprisoned in their condo because the landlord went and installed a motion-sensing security light to save energy and money. As Orthodox Jews, they say triggering the light violates a Sabbath rule, so they sued. Which rule? The Promethean one:

[The couple] claim they cannot leave their holiday flat on the Sabbath because when they do they automatically trigger the light in the communal hallway - contravening a religious ban on turning on electrical items from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday because it constitutes 'creating fire'. They say their human rights are being breached and are now suing the flats' management company - their neighbours - for failing to accommodate their religion.

Of the 35 other owners in the complex, not a single one of them supports the Colemans' lawsuit or their suggested fix, which entails forcing the management company to install a custom override switch. Oh, and management and the other tenants must pay back all the legal costs too.

Adding insult to injury is the fact that this is just the couple's holiday flat.

The case is scheduled for later this year. May the management install even more motion-sensing lights in that span.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: Couple imprisoned by Superstition blames everyone but god.

Postby Ashes » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:30 pm

Alternate headline: Semites Self-Sequestered, Suing Supernatural Superintendent.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Mitsukara » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Seems to me like shooting (infrared light sensor... or non-infrared ones, really, that's more fun) lasers at them is the perfect solution!
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Idiot Glee » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Wait for a gentile to walk by and turn it on. I'm sure one would if you asked nicely. Since it would be on, you could walk out the door and be fine in the view of G-d.

Otherwise, shut up. Freedom to practice your religion has never meant freedom to impose your customs.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:37 pm

What good is religion if you can't force others to bow to your beliefs?

We just had this in another form, here on the forum.

Remember the abortion discussion? The crux of the issue was not to end abortion, but that the religious felt their feelings should enter into the discussion at all, and that what they believed should have -any- impact on what other people did.

My argument was that this was wrong; the arbitrary beliefs of others should -never- have a voice in the private decisions of others.

Abortion or electrical sensor switch; in both cases the religious demand a voice -or even immediate accommodation- from all others who do not share their arbitrary beliefs. All must bow to us, for we have a belief that must be respected.

No. Belief does not have to be respected. At all. Ever.

Only fact needs to be respected.

It is a fact that sensor switches work. It is an arbitrary belief that god hates making fire on a certain day of the week. It is an arbitrary belief that there is any god at all, in fact. Just like it is an arbitrary belief that a blastocyst has a hypothetical 'soul' that must be respected, or that cartoons of Allah must never be made, or that someone who forcibly insists on loudly saying 'grace' at your table should be respected, or that Queer people have no right to the civil contract of marriage, or that pork is magically evil.

Fuck them. Fuck them all. To the arbitrary hell they believe in.

These whining orthodox fools should be slapped down like the deluded dipshits they are. Inconveniencing everyone, blocking a handy, electricity saving device just because their particular brand of mythology has a taboo on using fire... and they are so astoundingly ignorant that they imagine that moving electrons is -in any way- the same as an exothermic chemical reaction.

Fuck them. Just fuck'em.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby strange_person » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:29 pm

Actually, the original taboo was against doing hard work on a particular day, and back then, lighting a fire definitely qualified as hard work.

A less hostile argument with similar consequences would be to grant some degree of moral agency to the motion-sensing switch itself. After all, there's no law in the Torah against provoking a gentile to create fire.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:51 am

strange_person wrote:A less hostile argument with similar consequences would be to grant some degree of moral agency to the motion-sensing switch itself. After all, there's no law in the Torah against provoking a gentile to create fire.

You are brilliant. It's obvious really: all electronic devices are by default secular humanists and therefore Goyim.

Why?

Because their creator is obvious to them (and not hidden) and that creator is Man.

Being such, the sensor is a gentile servicing them, and they are not doing any work.

But, that said, fuck them.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Ejia » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:00 am

What, will they have to wait 'til household appliances are powered by microscopic singularities? :explode:
This space for rent
Disclaimer: Space not actually for rent. Side effects of space include dizziness, nausea, mild diarrhea, hair loss, and/or ascent to a higher plane of existence.
Ejia
Blueberry Class

Postby Relee » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:40 am

Not to mention the fact that in order to sense them the appliance must be on, the light part isn't lit up but it's not 'off' it's just waiting.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Anna » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:41 am

I think I do remember to some informations/reports from Israel that there exist a kind of industry for problems with that.
(For orthodox jews off course)
And in this matter I believe to remember that there was a switch wich doesn't works directly, it needed a few times before it functions and so the light or whatever is going on, by a minute or so.
So no one creates fire.

The argument that this automatic switch there who serves man is really good, just a a few seconds more time before it works and everything is perfect.

Well, one thing, electricity is fire? What ancient Rabbi did this create?
Ok, a normal lamp glows by heat, but what is it with other kind of light?
A cold cathode?
Or a Light-emitting diode?

No, I don't discus the religious matter.
There is all said.
Sadly this is a problem of all religions, but more sadly, it doesn't make them to go extinct.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Skatche » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:55 pm

Going to keep my mouth shut about belief, but on an interesting side note, the Elitzur-Vaidman bomb-tester can be adapted to allow Jews to turn on lights on the Sabbath, as Roger Penrose has pointed out. In the diagram on the Wikipedia page, if there is no obstruction on the lower path (where the "B" is), detector D will register 100% of the photons, and C will register none of them. If, on the other hand, there is an obstruction - like, say, the horn of a Jew - then each photon will hit C or D with a 50/50 probability split. Make detector C turn on the light. Sticking your horn in the beam doesn't actually turn on the light - it leaves that up to the will of God, since each photon still has only a 50% chance of hitting detector C. Of course, since the laser has a huge number of photons, the light will come on almost instantaneously.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Alfador » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:31 am

...I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to remain silent on this matter... because every comment that I want to say makes me sound like a Nazi.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby TurtleFlower » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:34 am

Alfador wrote:...I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to remain silent on this matter... because every comment that I want to say makes me sound like a Nazi.

And THAT's why I only ever read the political forum, or make a random aside, instead of ever making a serious comment. Or more likely, I would sound like the most vapid optimistic pro-organic hippy flower child with a cold mechanical heart there ever was.
~~ So says an animate pile of gears and cogs with a soul ~~
TurtleFlower
Ready For Fruit School

Return to The Political Arena