George Orwell's 2009

Postby RaharuAharu » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:15 am

Once again supporting my point that humanities main problem is its seeming inability to stay out of the other peoples lives.

The road to hell is indeed paved with good intentions.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115 ... t-families

and

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/08/02/ ... s-Via-CCTV

THOUSANDS of the worst families in England are to be put in “sin bins” in a bid to change their bad behaviour, Ed Balls announced yesterday.

The Children’s Secretary set out £400million plans to put 20,000 problem families under 24-hour CCTV super-vision in their own homes.

They will be monitored to ensure that children attend school, go to bed on time and eat proper meals.

Private security guards will also be sent round to carry out home checks, while parents will be given help to combat drug and alcohol addiction.

Around 2,000 families have gone through these Family Intervention Projects so far.

But ministers want to target 20,000 more in the next two years, with each costing between £5,000 and £20,000 – a potential total bill of £400million.

Ministers hope the move will reduce the number of youngsters who get drawn into crime because of their chaotic family lives, as portrayed in Channel 4 comedy drama Shameless.

Sin bin projects operate in half of council areas already but Mr Balls wants every local authority to fund them.

He said: “This is pretty tough and non-negotiable support for families to get to the root of the problem. There should be Family Intervention Projects in every local authority area because every area has families that need support.”

But Shadow Home Secretary Chris Grayling said: “This is all much too little, much too late.

“This Government has been in power for more than a decade during which time anti-social behaviour, family breakdown and problems like alcohol abuse and truancy have just got worse and worse.”

Mr Balls also said responsible parents who make sure their children behave in school will get new rights to complain about those who allow their children to disrupt lessons.

Pupils and their families will have to sign behaviour contracts known as Home School Agreements before the start of every year, which will set out parents’ duties to ensure children behave and do their homework.

The updated Youth Crime Action Plan also called for a crackdown on violent girl gangs as well as drug and alcohol abuse among young women.

But a decision to give ministers new powers to intervene with failing local authority Youth Offending Teams was criticised by council leaders.

Les Lawrence, of the Local Government Association, said they did “crucial” work and such intervention was “completely unnecessary”.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: George Orwell's 2009

Postby Monthenor » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:09 am

Bullet-pointing the chat I had with Raharu:
  • If their problems really have been getting worse over the past decade, it's been getting worse *in spite of* all the cameras they've been putting up. Why is the solution more cameras?
  • Sometime soon they're going to hit Peak Camera, where every square inch is monitored. What happens to the camera industry then?
  • Japan is the closest to making real robots, and Britain is closest to putting them in charge. Maybe it's something to do with being a past and somewhat humiliated empire. I expect the US will find out soon!

And, re-reading this, I think the most disturbing part is that these things have already existed for a while, and this is just a bill to expand the program. Why haven't I heard of this before? And why are we still allies with these wankers?
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Monocheres » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:18 am

There is only one word to describe the UK at this point in history, and it's a word from Over There:

BARMY
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Anna » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:17 pm

Fact is, George Orwell never did want to name his novel with a year. He was right, 1984 is history.

I've got only one hope...
If there is a reincarnation and I have to return, I hope I can be reincarnated on an other planet, hopefully in other galaxy, far far away.
This world here is possesed by brainless idiotic stupid idiots, and that's my charming view.
To leave these damaged society of assholes is the only way, never meet anyone again, and I hope I'm not too much infected, otherwise, there is also an interesting option for Nirvana.
:evil:
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Wizard CaT » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:04 pm

"Mr. Balls" hehe. urbs#1
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Shackler » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:47 pm

Anna wrote:This world here is possesed by brainless idiotic stupid idiots, and that's my charming view.
To leave these damaged society of assholes is the only way, never meet anyone again, and I hope I'm not too much infected, otherwise, there is also an interesting option for Nirvana.

What good does that do the rest of the world? Wouldn't it be better to reform society and mankind?
Shackler
Blueberry Class Leader

Postby Ejia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:22 pm

Forcing people who don't want to change doesn't really stick...
This space for rent
Disclaimer: Space not actually for rent. Side effects of space include dizziness, nausea, mild diarrhea, hair loss, and/or ascent to a higher plane of existence.
Ejia
Blueberry Class

Postby Idiot Glee » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:37 pm

Wait a second, they're giving kids back to parents crazy enough to warrant around the clock government surveillance? The idea doesn't even make sense. If they're THAT bad they shouldn't have kids.

If this is the platform the Labor Party is running on I'm afraid the Tories will just detonate a nuke to eliminate street crime.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Shackler » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:54 pm

Ejia wrote:Forcing people who don't want to change doesn't really stick...

Most people's bad behaviors are due to environmental/social factors in any case. Change society, change everyone.
Shackler
Blueberry Class Leader

Return to The Political Arena