"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: DUDE! OBAMA! NOBEL LAUREATE! WOW!

Postby Anna » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:19 am

Ok, ok...
Last year an american, this year an american...
It's getting boring.

//] //]
(Ooops, wasn't 2008, it was 2007, but I don't take this sentence away, my joke would be gone, :( ;] :mrgreen: )

But I think the real reason was, they wanted a real good speech in Oslo, and Obama is one of the best talents for speech.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Idiot Glee » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:03 am

Anna wrote:Ok, ok...
Last year an american, this year an american...
It's getting boring.

//] //]
(Ooops, wasn't 2008, it was 2007, but I don't take this sentence away, my joke would be gone, :( ;] :mrgreen: )

But I think the real reason was, they wanted a real good speech in Oslo, and Obama is one of the best talents for speech.

Well if we could just have a literature prize or two... Really, we almost never win the literature prize, even though America is booktastic.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Wizard CaT » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:13 pm

Obama is more popular in Europe than the USA I think.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Idiot Glee » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:18 am

Ok, I ended up watching Obama's speech after he got the news; he seems more perplexed than the rest of the world.

Also this isn't just what Europeans think, it's what Norwegian politicians think. So take that Harald the fifth!
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/world ... ml?_r=2&hp
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Relee » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:13 am

Obama is more popular EVERYWHERE than in the U.S.

He's more popular than any of our politicians by far, here in Canada. In Japan they overturned their government, just 'cause they thought Obama was cool.

That's kind of the whole point, I think. He might not be fixing all the problems inside the U.S. but he's doing his level best to repair international friendships that Bush ripped apart. He's a very global personality. He'll go far once his term is up.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Wic » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:57 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8299824.stm

Yeah... Alfred Nobel stated in his will that the price will be according to the person's merit in the previous year. Obama took office in this year. Yet, he got the price, because of this:

Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel Committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".

Alfred Nobel wouldn't have approved, and neither do I. It's a price, not some political bribe.
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Shackler » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:59 am

The Nobel Peace Prize is not very meaningful.
Shackler
Blueberry Class Leader

Postby draque » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:44 am

Wic wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8299824.stm

Yeah... Alfred Nobel stated in his will that the price will be according to the person's merit in the previous year. Obama took office in this year. Yet, he got the price, because of this:

Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel Committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".

Alfred Nobel wouldn't have approved, and neither do I. It's a price, not some political bribe.

I have to agree with Wic here. Support of actions that haven't yet been taken is not what the Nobel prize was created for.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Idiot Glee » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:49 am

Relee wrote:Obama is more popular EVERYWHERE than in the U.S.

Well maybe he's more popular everywhere but the US when compared to Dubya, but Obama is actually as popular as an American president can get without a national emergency. This country is just split along political and regional lines, and one half will never accept the other.

Shackler wrote:The Nobel Peace Prize is not very meaningful.

Well awards in general are pretty meaningless; but as far as these trinkets go, the Nobel is the top dog.

draque wrote:I have to agree with Wic here. Support of actions that haven't yet been taken is not what the Nobel prize was created for.

Oh please, the Nobel was invented to make an armaments tycoon look good when he died. No grand intent there, just posthumous publicity.
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Shackler » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:34 pm

Arafat. Kissinger.
Shackler
Blueberry Class Leader

Postby Idiot Glee » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:02 am

Shackler wrote:Arafat. Kissinger.

Arafat for leading his movement towards a peaceful settlement; this was also an award given to Yitzhak Rabin and Shiimon Peres at the same time. That award was for a peace settlement.

Similarly Kissinger, along with Lê Ðức Thọ (who refused the prize) was awarded the prize for a peace settlement.

These prizes were awarded for reaching a settlement to people who made a settlement. These were awards to highlight their willingness to end war and return to peace. They weren't a mad praising of warlords for war, but for them putting their swords aside. Awarding the peace prize to two opposing sides for reaching a settlement may engender controversy, but it's a respectable thing to make exemplar the willingness to negotiate.

You may dislike Arafat and Kissinger, and think they don't deserve their medals; but Obama was not awarded the prize for the same reason, and is not comparable to either Arafat or Kissinger in that way.
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby draque » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:24 am

Idiot Glee wrote:Oh please, the Nobel was invented to make an armaments tycoon look good when he died. No grand intent there, just posthumous publicity.

Given that he invented dynamite to try to help miners, who were dying by the truckload thanks to unstable explosives, I think it's a bit unfair to label him as a simple armaments tycoon. He expressed significant personal feelings of guilt that it had been weaponized (although admittedly, I can't imagine that he didn't see it as an inevitability), which is supposedly a large part of why he established the funding for the peace prize in the first place.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Idiot Glee » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:48 am

draque wrote:
Idiot Glee wrote:Oh please, the Nobel was invented to make an armaments tycoon look good when he died. No grand intent there, just posthumous publicity.

Given that he invented dynamite to try to help miners, who were dying by the truckload thanks to unstable explosives, I think it's a bit unfair to label him as a simple armaments tycoon. He expressed significant personal feelings of guilt that it had been weaponized (although admittedly, I can't imagine that he didn't see it as an inevitability), which is supposedly a large part of why he established the funding for the peace prize in the first place.

In addition to dynamite, he owned Bofors, a Swedish weapons manufacturer.
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Shackler » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:26 pm

Idiot Glee wrote:You may dislike Arafat and Kissinger, and think they don't deserve their medals; but Obama was not awarded the prize for the same reason, and is not comparable to either Arafat or Kissinger in that way.

My point is that there have been much worse recipients in the past.
Shackler
Blueberry Class Leader

Return to The Political Arena