Female Saudi journalist sentenced to 60 lashes

Postby RaharuAharu » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:54 am

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/10/ ... google_cnn

Americans are allies with with this nation why?

Saudi journalist sentenced to 60 lashes

(CNN) -- A Saudi court sentenced a female journalist Saturday to 60 lashes for her work on a controversial Arabic-language TV show that aired an episode in which a man bragged about his sex life, two sources told CNN.

The court in Jeddah also imposed a two-year travel ban on Rosanna Al-Yami, according to a Saudi Information Ministry official, who could not be named because he is not authorized to speak to the media. The ban prevents her from traveling outside Saudi Arabia.

This official identified Al-Yami as a fixer, who helps journalists obtain stories, and a coordinator for Lebanese Broadcasting Corp., the network that aired "A Thick Red Line," a popular show on social taboos.

On one episode, a Saudi man, Mazen Abdul Jawad, bragged about sex and got into trouble with Saudi authorities for his boasts. Abdul Jawad was put on trial and sentenced to five years in prison and 1,000 lashes.

Suleiman Al-Jumeii, the attorney who represents Abdul Jawad, also confirmed the sentence against Al-Yami, saying he believes she is the first Saudi journalist ever to be sentenced to lashes.

While the charges include involvement in preparing the program, she was not involved in setting up the episode in which Abdul Jawad appeared, the lawyer said.

Al-Jumeii doesn't represent Al-Yami, but he said he is keeping tabs on all aspects of cases dealing with "A Thick Red Line." The lawyer is attempting to pursue an appeal for his client and get his case heard in a special court that deals only with media matters.

CNN has attempted to get comments from Al-Yami and her attorney.

Abdul Jawad, a 32-year-old airline employee and divorced father of four, spoke openly about his sexual escapades, his love of sex and losing his virginity at age 14 on "A Thick Red Line."

That episode caused an uproar in deeply conservative Saudi Arabia, where Shariah, or Islamic law, is practiced. Premarital sex is illegal, and unrelated men and women are not permitted to mingle.

Saudi authorities shut down the Lebanese network's offices in Jeddah and Riyadh after the interview aired a few months ago. Abdul Jawad was arrested shortly after the program aired and charged with violating Saudi Arabia's crime of publicizing vice.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: Female Saudi journalist sentenced to 60 lashes

Postby Idiot Glee » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:13 am

RaharuAharu wrote:Americans are allies with with this nation why?

Short answer: Oil.

Long answer: They provide a friendly military presence against Iran, Egypt, and Iraq. They maintain a balance of power and hold the region from erupting into massive and long term warfare on the lines of World War One. This war would endanger many of our interests in the area, oil and Israel to name two. This war could also result in Russian, Indian, or Chinese intervention, placing America a little lower on the super power food chain.

Weird answer: Dubya totally likes to hold hands with their royal family.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:25 pm

Indeed; they're valuable political and economic allies even if we disagree with some of their policies. Not every alliance we form has to be about pushing democracy and Western ideals -- heck, we could use MORE allies like Saudi Arabia.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Mitsukara » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:06 pm

Not to speak for Raru, but I think what she's saying is: is it really worth it?
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Idiot Glee » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:14 pm

Mitsukara wrote:Not to speak for Raru, but I think what she's saying is: is it really worth it?

Gas is under 5$/gallon.

The US hasn't had to significantly revalue is currency.

And we couldn't really stop it anyway, it's their mess to solve.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:05 am

I just mean that America has a bad reputation for being very homogeneous in its choice of allies, and for forcing conformity to our way of life on countries. We need a more diverse selection of friends.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Return to The Political Arena