Which Of These Is More Socially Acceptable?

Pirating Media
85%
Smoking Marijuana
15%

Total votes : 13

Hi I'm A Pirate. And I'm A Pot Head.

Postby Ashes » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:43 am

Just idle curiosity; which of these makes you a worse person? Who's the lower scum? The scurvey dog what robs the rich and gives to her ears? Or the gentleman who stuffs his pipe after a stressful evening at the office?

Other things to consider: Pirating Software vs Medical Marijuana, Torrent Leaching vs Second Hand Smoke, Pirate Bay vs Drug Dealers, and Jobs And Woz vs Cheech And Chong.

DISCUSS!

edit: In all seriousness, this poll is about what you think society thinks about pirates and pot heads. Don't simply vote on your personal opinion of which is worse. Use the thread to discuss your opinions.

edit2: I don't like pot. I do pirate things.

edit3: The title is a parody of those Mac ads.
Ashes
Melon Class

Re: Hi I'm A Pirate. And I'm A Pot Head.

Postby Mitsukara » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:37 pm

Well, given my status as a poor person and a geek who tends to stay at home alone, one can make their own assumptions.

That said I have to say that both of these things are grossly overblown as crimes in America. Neither is worth charging the perpetrator ridiculous sums of money that they obviously couldn't afford in the first place, nor imprisonment, nor any other life-ruining punishment. It's just stupid.

Marijuana is not particularly worse than alcohol. it should just be legalized and be done with. Prohibition of it does more harm than good, just as it was with alcohol in the 1800s.

Piracy may damage sales, but if you'll notice a lot of money is still made. Fans will shell out for products they really like and want to endorse, and often have a moral code about paying for things that need the support the most (small indy band > super rich mainstream pop star). The market needs to realize that stopping it isn't working and just try to adapt to it. Get people to WANT to support you, and use things like live shows and other special non-pirateable experiences to make more money. Imprisoning or fining fans out the ass is a good way to make people not be interested in the market AT ALL. You honestly think the close friends and family of the person who gets slapped with that are ever going to buy anything from you again?

The moral of the story is prohibition = fail, in my opinion. It never really stops the things it's trying to stop, it just criminalizes them, causing more harm in the punishment. A failing of law.

*feels vaguely like she's on Casey and Andy's snooty discussion hour*
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Coda » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:29 pm

If you're talking about being socially acceptable, the answer is clearly media piracy. No one will criticize you for enjoying the media itself; it's only your method that some people find dubious. Marijuana, however, is clearly a drug -- harmless as it may be in the long run, it does cause personality changes and it is (mildly) addictive, and its legality is fairly irrelevant. To be honest, piracy is more socially acceptable than alcoholism (as opposed to alcohol alone) as well, at least outside the college-aged crowd.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby draque » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:29 am

Media piracy is by far more socially accepted. Its a combination of piracy being so easy, the rewards being so rewarding, and the media giants having made themselves so unbelievably unpopular. Public opinion is swayed so far against media corporations (admittedly, by their own inept public relations and litigious, strong-arm tactics). While I know a few people who are self hating pirates... I don't know a single reasonably net savvy person (i.e. "excluding mummified grandmas and Luddites") who isn't hanging on to some pirated material. On the other hand, I do know quite a few people who believe that pot should be banned on moral grounds. Both are anecdotal of course, but it seems like my experiences are the norm.

Coda wrote:To be honest, piracy is more socially acceptable than alcoholism (as opposed to alcohol alone) as well, at least outside the college-aged crowd.

To be fair, being a pot head is more socially acceptable than being an alcoholic as well, though. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that people tend to associate violence with alcoholism, while they generally just associate laziness with smoking a lot of pot.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Plasman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:20 am

I know several people who smoke marijuana, but I know a lot more people who would happily copy games and movies. I know my parents are more likely to rip than get ripped. ...as far as I know. ;]
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Marr » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:44 am

See, I looked at this question from the point of view of my local society, not mainstream US/European. :D By our terms, playing with someone's art against their wishes, when they've requested compensation is rude, but what you do to your own neurochemistry is no business of anyone's. Not at all convinced that the society portrayed on TV is as representative as it likes to make out.
Marr
Welcome, New User!

Return to The Political Arena