Draw Mohammed Day

Postby Ashes » Thu May 20, 2010 7:13 pm

Hopefully you've heard of this already. What are your opinions? Did you participate?

I think that it's a great idea to celebrate our freedom of expression and tell radical Muslims that they can't scare us into following their religion's rules. It's just a shame that so many people are participating out of anti-Islam hate instead of the belief that art must be free. That shouldn't stop it though. Freedom to express your irrational hatred is all part of freedom of expression.

The day completely slipped my mind until an hour ago. Almost missed it. Here is my contribution. Do you think I should have simply wrote "yay freedom of expression" on the sign?
Ashes
Melon Class

Re: Draw Mohammed Day

Postby draque » Fri May 21, 2010 6:17 am

Ashes wrote:It's just a shame that so many people are participating out of anti-Islam hate instead of the belief that art must be free. That shouldn't stop it though. Freedom to express your irrational hatred is all part of freedom of expression.

Although I'm not one to condone hatred, I think that this is such a divisive issue that many artists don't actually feel hatred but are rather drawing very extreme things simply because they've been told not to. As distasteful as the images might be, I can't say that I don't agree with that sentiment. It's the offensive, vulgar and politically/religiously blasphemous messages that need to be protected most carefully. They represent the right to dissent with popular opinion.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Plasman » Fri May 21, 2010 6:37 am

Bah! Looks nothing like him! :wink:
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Tychomonger » Fri May 21, 2010 12:02 pm

If you need reference, here are some muslim paintings of Mohammed. http://www.godweb.org/mohammedpaintings.htm
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alfador » Fri May 21, 2010 2:00 pm

I was going to draw or write something, but a friend of mine wrote something that said what I was trying to, probably better than I could, and also linked to a video of someone drawing something that says it all far, FAR better than I EVER could.

http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/1418473/

In case you don't want to go to FurAffinity (don't need an account since it's a journal entry and not a mature submission), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ja_4neD ... r_embedded is where the Youtube video is.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Return to The Political Arena