Obama Won’t Order Ban on Gay Bias by Employers

Postby SvZurich » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:27 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/12/us/po ... xmbPReDHCw

No Executive Orders will be signed to prevent discrimination in hiring for sexual minorities for businesses receiving government contracts. %<
SvZurich
Aw, they grow up so fast!

Re: Obama Won’t Order Ban on Gay Bias by Employers

Postby Coda » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:13 am

Seems reasonable to me. This isn't the place for an executive order. This needs to be a law -- and in fact Obama is SUPPORTING just such a law. By not signing the executive order, Obama prevents the appearance of an expansion of the power of the executive branch (opponents of GLBT rights would point this out as Obama trying to overstep his rights) and furthers support for the law that would do it PROPERLY.

If the news article were written this way, people wouldn't be getting NEARLY so mad, but this is media sensationalism. It doesn't sell newspapers / nytimes.com subscriptions to write a story that doesn't get people up in arms.

I really hate humans sometimes.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Re: Obama Won’t Order Ban on Gay Bias by Employers

Postby Alfador » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Why in the world was a FOOTBALL metaphor the first thing in my head?! "It's him refusing to punt because he thinks he can make a touchdown" where the goal posts in this case are an actual law that would prohibit discrimination for ALL companies, not just those getting federal dollars.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Return to The Political Arena