What, nothing on Spitzer?

Postby OtakuMan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:10 am

Okay, this is political GOLD here.

Eliot Spitzer, Governor of New York, has resigned from office after it was exposed that there was damning evidence that tied him to a high class prostitution ring which the FBI was looking to bust.

Needless to say, the notion of a Governor engaging in illegal activity of ANY sort, especially something this, is something that really makes the public wonder where their tax dollars are going.

And if that wasn't enough, in his campaign during 2006, he was decrying the sex and violence in today's media. (Namely the sex!)

The irony is SO delicious, so tasty, so wonderfully delightful that I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned it yet.

And the exposure... OH MAN!

The Schadenfreude part of my brain is on overload.

~Otaku-Man

~Play For Fun!

OtakuMan
Apple Class

Re: What, nothing on Spitzer?

Postby Tychomonger » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:21 am

OtakuMan wrote:Needless to say, the notion of a Governor engaging in illegal activity of ANY sort, especially something this, is something that really makes the public wonder where their tax dollars are going.

As of yet, no allegations have been made that he was using money that wasn't his. He is after all independently wealthy.

And if that wasn't enough, in his campaign during 2006, he was decrying the sex and violence in today's media. (Namely the sex!)

As far as I know, he didn't intend for his sexual exploits to make it into the media. Sounds very consistent to me.

I think this is a huge overreaction. Those in power always seem to have a mistress of some sort. It has been this way forever. Spitzer was just decent enough to pay his well.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Idiot Glee » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:34 am

I don't live in New York and I'm not a Democrat.

I have no stake in this, nor do I have an interest.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby RaharuAharu » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:15 am

Oh look a human in a position of power saying one thing, doing another.

Oh look a human in a position of power saying one thing condemning a certain action, and doing it itself.

*yawn* Wake me up when a human in power says something, and does, it.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Idiot Glee » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:53 am

Shackler wrote:I don't really care, prostitution should be legal anyway. The only troublesome part about that is that he was married at the time.

Yes, he certainly should have secured permission from his wife. Paying for it is one thing, cheating is another.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alikat » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:04 am

Well, I suppose prostitution is still illegal in that jurisdiction, so technically Spitzer is a scofflaw. And yeah, cheating on a spouse is a crummy thing to do. I probably wouldn't vote for Spitzer if I lived in New York. But I don't see a problem personally with what he's done on a legal level, because I don't believe that either prostitution or cheating sexually should have legal consequences. And socially and politically, I can just see how we prudish Americans must look fully as crazy as the bedsheeted nutjobs in the Taleban whenever it comes to a clash between American sexual mores and the way Americans actually behave sexually. We're very Victorian about sex, we do whatever the hell we feel like but we damned well keep it all a big secret.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby RaharuAharu » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:37 am

Shackler wrote:I don't really care, prostitution should be legal anyway. The only troublesome part about that is that he was married at the time.

I agree about the prostitution thing, however I really feel that the issue is that he is a total hypocrite.
Here is one example.
http://gamepolitics.com/2008/03/12/gran ... r-resigns/
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby draque » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:31 am

The reason that so many people are making a stink over the whole situation is because of one particular pimp who has been fairly active in the media. The guy basically had the book thrown at him at the behest of the governor... and now the governor is in trouble for having spent time with one of his prostitutes. The irony there is pretty thick I think. Normally I wouldn't care... but this case is just a little too similar to the Ted Haggard scandal for me to resist snickering.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:38 pm

Idiot Glee wrote:

Yes, he certainly should have secured permission from his wife. Paying for it is one thing, cheating is another.

It's entirely possible he did have her permission. She might have even gotten some kind of discount. In any case, I seriously doubt that any member of the press bothered to ask her.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alikat » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:10 pm

draque wrote:The reason that so many people are making a stink over the whole situation is because of one particular pimp who has been fairly active in the media. The guy basically had the book thrown at him at the behest of the governor... and now the governor is in trouble for having spent time with one of his prostitutes. The irony there is pretty thick I think. Normally I wouldn't care... but this case is just a little too similar to the Ted Haggard scandal for me to resist snickering.

But prostitution /= pimping. Pimps are parasitic scum, prostitutes are angels of sexual mercy who happen to have a coin slot.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:33 pm

Is that attitude perhaps biased, on account of a certain UJ character?
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby draque » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:55 pm

Alikat wrote:But prostitution /= pimping. Pimps are parasitic scum, prostitutes are angels of sexual mercy who happen to have a coin slot.

In a situation where law enforcement is your enemy, pimps provide protection. They're the police for prostitutes who have no other means of organized self defense. Certainly they tend to be abusive and whatnot... but when your profession is criminalized, there are a limited number of options.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Return to The Political Arena