Romancing the seal

Postby Thilia » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:55 am

Nick wrote:Being social does not equal clubbing.


This gives a new spin on the phrase 'clubbing baby seals.'

I can see the little buggers out there, glass in flipper, gin and tonic with too much ice, moving from ice floe to ice floe, trying to score.


-Thilia
User avatar
Thilia
Site Admin

  Offline
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:11 pm
Location: olywa

Re: Romancing the seal

Postby draque » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:34 am

Thilia wrote:This gives a new spin on the phrase 'clubbing baby seals.'


Now I have this image in my mind of a couple of baby seals dressed in raver outfits, running from some oversized guy with a club and yelling "This is totally false advertising!"
User avatar
draque
Watermelon Graduate

  Offline
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:57 am
Location: <=CLEVER-LOCATION=>

Re: Pathologizing the Sublime

Postby strange_person » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:13 pm

A perfect segue back to the nontraditional-desire subject:

http://not-included.net/comics.php?id=100
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
User avatar
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

  Offline
 
Posts: 2274
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Re: Pathologizing the Sublime

Postby Monthenor » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:24 pm

SilverFeathers wrote:...I don't drink (allergic)...

Huzzawha? I didn't know alcohol could cause allergic reactions. Or is it the yeast/hops/grapes used in the most common beverages?

I not usually down with the getting-drunk aspect, but I realize there are some flavors that can't be easily reproduced without the full alcoholic fermentation process. Tasty, tasty flavors.
User avatar
Monthenor
Apple Class

  Offline
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:33 pm
Location: Right where I need to be

Re: Pathologizing the Sublime

Postby InterNutter » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:51 pm

Monthenor wrote:Huzzawha? I didn't know alcohol could cause allergic reactions. Or is it the yeast/hops/grapes used in the most common beverages?


It varies between sufferers. Some folks are allergic to the alcohol molecule, some are allergic to the yeast, some, like me, are allergic to the method used to preserve the booze.

In all cases, it is *way* easier to explain that one is "allergic to alcohol" 'cause liquor is usually the only stuff that contains the deadly combination. And be prepared for the Great Restaurant Lie "It all burns off". Shudder.

Allergies. They make life *real* interesting.
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie...
User avatar
InterNutter
Kumquat Class Sensei

  Offline
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: Burpengary [seriously, it's real]

Re: Romancing the seal

Postby Sparksol » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:04 am

Thilia wrote:This gives a new spin on the phrase 'clubbing baby seals.'

I can see the little buggers out there, glass in flipper, gin and tonic with too much ice, moving from ice floe to ice floe, trying to score.


-Thilia

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/175/1817/640/clubbing%20baby%20seals.jpg

And on other notes, sign me up on the neutral/asexual/etc. list, if any. If I'm not on it already. I'm sure I've made such assertions before, but I can't find them on the old board.
"Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way."

- strange_person
User avatar
Sparksol
100 Post Little Master

  Offline
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:42 am

Re: Pathologizing the Sublime

Postby Asher Omega » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:24 pm

InterNutter wrote:
Monthenor wrote:Huzzawha? I didn't know alcohol could cause allergic reactions. Or is it the yeast/hops/grapes used in the most common beverages?


It varies between sufferers. Some folks are allergic to the alcohol molecule, some are allergic to the yeast, some, like me, are allergic to the method used to preserve the booze.

In all cases, it is *way* easier to explain that one is "allergic to alcohol" 'cause liquor is usually the only stuff that contains the deadly combination. And be prepared for the Great Restaurant Lie "It all burns off". Shudder.

Allergies. They make life *real* interesting.


I've worked in a restaurant style kitchen and the Alcohol does burn off. it just leaves everything else behind.
Commiter of the worst crime: Schism of the Mind.
User avatar
Asher Omega
Kumquat Class Sensei

  Offline
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:26 pm
Location: Dimensional Limbo!

Re: Pathologizing the Sublime

Postby Alfador » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:30 pm

Asher Omega wrote:
InterNutter wrote:
Monthenor wrote:Huzzawha? I didn't know alcohol could cause allergic reactions. Or is it the yeast/hops/grapes used in the most common beverages?


It varies between sufferers. Some folks are allergic to the alcohol molecule, some are allergic to the yeast, some, like me, are allergic to the method used to preserve the booze.

In all cases, it is *way* easier to explain that one is "allergic to alcohol" 'cause liquor is usually the only stuff that contains the deadly combination. And be prepared for the Great Restaurant Lie "It all burns off". Shudder.

Allergies. They make life *real* interesting.


I've worked in a restaurant style kitchen and the Alcohol does burn off. it just leaves everything else behind.


...Which means people who are allergic to some of the other stuff still get all the bad even though the alcohol molecules are boiled away.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
User avatar
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

  Offline
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:29 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: Pathologizing the Sublime

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:47 pm

I'm allergic to the molecule itself, since I can eat food that has it in it cooked off. It's not a potentially fatal level of allergic, but I can't even drink champaign or I get sick. Aniseed and Spearmint also make me sick, even just the smell of it. Along with artificial sweeteners.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
Image
User avatar
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

  Offline
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:38 am
Location: At the Zombie Jamboree in a NYC cemetary

Re: Pathologizing the Sublime

Postby Alfador » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:22 pm

I seem to be thankfully free of food allergies, though I am allergic to cats, dust mites, and grass.

Which doesn't stop me from exposing myself* to them. It just means I itch and sneeze every now and then.


*Pun not intended so don't even think about it.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
User avatar
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

  Offline
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:29 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: Pathologizing the Sublime

Postby strange_person » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:52 pm

I have no known allergies, but avoid any substance deliberately cultivated to be mind-altering (including most delivery vectors for alcohol and caffeine) for philosophical reasons.
Last edited by strange_person on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
User avatar
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

  Offline
 
Posts: 2274
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Re: Pathologizing the Sublime

Postby SilverFeathers » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:03 am

Would... die... without... caffeine... *twitch*
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
Image
User avatar
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

  Offline
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:38 am
Location: At the Zombie Jamboree in a NYC cemetary

Re: Pathologizing the Sublime

Postby Idiot Glee » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:04 am

SilverFeathers wrote:Would... die... without... caffeine... *twitch*


Whoa! You're crashing bad! *Pours a cup of coffee* Here you go.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
User avatar
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

  Offline
 
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:26 pm
Location: Here

Previous

Return to The Political Arena

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron