Re: The Church Of Scientology

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:20 pm

The only difference between Scientology and any other organized religion is just time. That's it. Just time.

In a few centuries, Scientology will be considered as legitimate, by the mainstream, as any other religion. You just wait and see. (and if you find a way to do exactly that, do let me know how to do so as well, 'k?)

Yes, Scientology is an evil cult that brainwashes it's members and extorts money and grasps for political and social power.

What else is new? What other organized religion doesn't, or didn't do that? That is how religion is. That is how you organize religion. It's always a scam. It's always a cult at first. It's always about power and money. Always.

You tell a fanciful story and claim that it is true, and that you are the great prophet. Then some idiots, desperate because they are afraid and weak, believe you, and they will do anything to keep that belief... including supporting you in the manner to which you would like to become accustomed.

In time, you are a pope of your own faith, with underlings and minions, each getting a piece of the pie according to their place on the big pyramid scheme.

Give this structure a few centuries, and it will be controlling kings and presidents, and affecting the fate of entire nations.

There are two ways to rule the world - or a least a big part of the world.

You can be a pirate or a con man.

The pirate uses blade and gun to rape and pillage the earth while enforcing law - his law. This is government of all kinds, and the pirates may be kings, or congressmen, or dictators, but the source of power is always, ultimately, the gun or the sword - the fear of being killed by enforcers - be they police, or army.

The con man uses lies to feed the desperation of fearful people unable to cope with the horror of death. This is religion in all of its forms, all religion, everywhere. The con man may be a priest, or a monk, or a nun, or a pope or a vicar, but the source of power is always the threat of an imagined enforcer, who can strike those who do not obey even after they are long dead - a fear of eternal damnation or exclusion, of a penalty beyond the end of life itself.

Both use similar means, and both gain similar benefits - money, power for the sake of power, and an easy, parasitic life on the backs of the many.

Both, as time progresses, and the structures become tradition, end up filled with the illusion that they are not just pirates and con men, but really are noble, important, and good powers in the world.

Welcome to now.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Sparksol » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:57 pm

Just where is L Ron Hubbard? Or his corpse, rather?
"Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way."

- strange_person
Sparksol
100 Post Little Master

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:32 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:In time, you are a pope of your own faith, with underlings and minions, each getting a piece of the pie according to their place on the big pyramid scheme.

*fiddles with hair a little, trying to look cute and innocent* I want minions... Can I haz minons? Undrlngz plz.

Kthxbai.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Dan » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:09 am

Scientology is odd. I think they literally took the sources for the Principia Discordia -- Alfred Korzybski, Aleister Crowley -- and removed all the humor as well as any bits that might spur independent thought. Hubbard didn't seem to understand what he borrowed, especially in the case of Korzybski. (The original made a few wacky mistakes of his own, mind you.)
I defie all the Quakers in England to match this incomparable piece of Nonsence and Enthusiastick Cant.
Dan
Aw, they grow up so fast!

Postby Wic » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:22 pm

Scientology is hilarious. They can't be an official religion in Finland either.

German is going to outright ban Scientology. Good for them. The top security officials say it's in conflict with the principles of the nation's constitution and threatens the peaceful democratic order. I think they're just afraid of another Hitler.
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Yubi Shines » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:43 pm

A year or two ago, when I first heard people discuss Scientology, I believed (with no small measure of hope) that it was a religion celebrating and worshipping science.

Sigh.
Yubi Shines
Grape Class

Postby Tychomonger » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:26 am

What if it was a religion not in the Christianity sense, but more in the Confucianism sense? That it to say, it asserts no universal truths, but rather lays out a moral and social structure. It could advocate the use of the scientific method in all aspects of life.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Nick » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:00 am

It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby Alikat » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:15 am

Those dudes need to learn to compress their videos more, I have cable broadband and it was completely herky-jerky on the first and third video clips, and barely compressed enough to be streamable in the second clip.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby draque » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:00 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:The only difference between Scientology and any other organized religion is just time. That's it. Just time.

I agree there, but I think that more happens in the time than you're giving it credit for... given time, people tend to at least think of rationalizations for the crazy. When people rationalize things they're acknowledging that on the surface, the idea is kind of crazy. When they acknowledge that it's kind of crazy seeming, they're easier to talk sense to. I think that's why followers of religions like Scientology are (on average) much more zealous than those of other religions. Obviously you're going to have your utterly devoted psychos in every religion, but I think it's much more common with the newer ones, as time has yet to wear down their rough edges.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby nevets » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:24 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:The only difference between Scientology and any other organized religion is just time. That's it. Just time.

In a few centuries, Scientology will be considered as legitimate, by the mainstream, as any other religion. You just wait and see. (and if you find a way to do exactly that, do let me know how to do so as well, 'k?)

I entirely disagree. I am not vehemently opposed to scientology the way many of my younger college friends are, and I find it amusing that people take a bunch of 4chan readers seriously as a force of truth and reason.

I think when privileged information is inherent in a philosophy that attempts to provide Truth, you’re looking at a cult plain and simple. And the assertion scientology is going to survive the next hundred years? Religions collapse all the time, or survive in isolated pockets. Plenty of saviors like L Ron have come and gone without much of an impact on history. Ozymandias baby.
nevets
Our New Friend

Postby Skatche » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:10 pm

Blah blah blah.

Yes, Scientology is an evil cult that brainwashes it's members and extorts money and grasps for political and social power.

What else is new? What other organized religion doesn't, or didn't do that? That is how religion is. That is how you organize religion. It's always a scam. It's always a cult at first. It's always about power and money. Always.

Blah blah blah.

Counterexample. Falsification of hypothesis.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby OtakuMan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:07 pm

~Play For Fun!

OtakuMan
Apple Class

Postby strange_person » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:09 am

Skatche wrote:

Blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah.

Counterexample. Falsification of hypothesis.

I would argue that the original form of Buddhism was mostly natural philosophy with a mystical veneer. It was the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism#R ... a_Buddhism that turned it into an actual religion, with saviors and initiations and heirarchies and all that.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Previous

Return to The Political Arena