Tychomonger = Awesome

The original retro-pixel mangastrip

Tychomonger = Awesome

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:20 pm

I've just finished doing art for one of our forumites, Tychomonger, who bought the Unicorn Jelly hardback, and sent it to Eldenath for me to sign and... doodle a bit.

This isn't about my artwork for him, but rather what he sent me in the package with the book. He sent this:

An origami he made.

Now this is super cool to me for several reasons. One, is that it is a very amazing bit of origami work. Damn. I am very amazed by origami, and I am utterly incapable of it, which makes it all the more impressive to me. It's magic, as far as I am concerned.

Secondly, I think it clear that he knows my love for my favorite SF movie, Blade Runner (directors cut only, please!). An origami unicorn could not be more perfect.

I wanted to share with you the awesomeness that is our Tychomonger, and his incredible skills.

Thank you, Tychomonger! Awesome, indeed.

Your book ships back to you on Monday. I dearly hope you will like the art I scattered through it. One note of interest - only the color plate was drawn using any pencil sketching - all the other artwork was done on the spot, in pen, with no chance of erasure, no margin for error whatsoever. Yes, I am insane.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Re: Tychomonger = Awesome

Postby RaharuAharu » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:56 pm

I would have to agree with you.

Tychomonger = Awesome

(^^>
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Tychomonger » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:59 pm

Heehee, thank you! I hoped you would like it. I'm glad it didn't get bent too much in the mail.

Creating new origami is may be what you think yourself incapable of. I am similarly without ability there. I wanted to come up with a way to fold a unicorn jelly to send you as well, but wasn't able to come up with one. I just follow directions other far more talented people have so graciously drawn up and published for simple hobbyists like myself. Try some simple origami! It's fun, all you really need is a little patience and a good book.

I got this model from "Dollar Bill Animals in Origami" by John Montroll.

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:One note of interest - only the color plate was drawn using any pencil sketching - all the other artwork was done on the spot, in pen, with no chance of erasure, no margin for error whatsoever. Yes, I am insane.

You are far more brave than I. Myself, I folded four different unicorns, and picked the one I thought looked the best. By the way, I'm sure you've noticed that despite having four legs, it is very front heavy, and always falls right on its head when left to stand on its own. You might be able to make it stand up if you glue it to a Warhammer base, though. Or you could just let it lay down. Or let it do a half assed head stand.

(^^>
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Tychomonger » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:19 pm

P.S. If you want to see some real origami magic, you should check out this guy's website. His silver dragon in particular is mind blowing. He folded that from one piece of foil backed paper. Incredible!
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Return to Unicorn Jelly