Tryslmaistan chickens?

The original retro-pixel mangastrip

Tryslmaistan chickens?

Postby Zev » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:14 pm

I've always wanted to know what the chickens of Tryslmaistan look like, because I remember a long time ago reading that they had long feathers that were used in cloth making (At least from what I recall). It sounds like they would be the desendants of the Japanese Silkie peraps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silkie or perhaps the Pheonix rooster http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_chicken or the Yokohama.

I raise chickens (And one Peacock) so I've been dying to see one in a future TSH comic or Pastel. Are the hens good egg layers I wonder? :?
Zev
Our New Pal Can Write!

Re: Tryslmaistan chickens?

Postby SilverFeathers » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:14 pm

YAY! Another chicken fan! (I have peafowl too!)

I'd imagine they were more like silkies than a phoenix. Phoenix/Onagadori/Yokahama/Sumatra feathers are long and gorgeous, but still have "traditional" feathers. Less like fur than a silkie. Unless you strip the barbs from the veins and use them that way...

I kind of wonder how the eggs develop without regular vlax, unless they absorb it somehow, or there's enough within the yolk to support the embryo.

I just found an old peafowl egg today. In the process of cleaning it up, it exploded. Impressively. I think I'm gonna hurl from the smell. @,@ !?!!
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:17 pm

Zev wrote:I've always wanted to know what the chickens of Tryslmaistan look like, because I remember a long time ago reading that they had long feathers that were used in cloth making (At least from what I recall). It sounds like they would be the desendants of the Japanese Silkie peraps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silkie or perhaps the Pheonix rooster http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_chicken or the Yokohama.

I raise chickens (And one Peacock) so I've been dying to see one in a future TSH comic or Pastel. Are the hens good egg layers I wonder? :?

The Silkie. That's precisely what they look like. I think the Silkie is just about the most awesome-looking chicken in the world. If they were bright, primary yellow, and stood seven feet high, you would almost have Chocobos. I can't help but love that.

The hens of Tryslmaistan lay eggs well, and eggs are a definite matter of importance to both diet, and to the manufacture of other products as well.

Thanks to the incredibly sterile environment of Tryslmaistan, it is very safe to handle chickens there... one is not going to get any illness from them.

Eggs contain stored vlaxilin content sufficient to permit them to hatch, most of it is in the white of the egg, as would be reasonable. It seems to be bioconcentrated there by natural means, and one trick that those going walkabout can do is to take along fresh eggs both for food and for their vlax content.

Why wasn't any of this shown in Unicorn Jelly? It was because it never really came up, and because I am not that good at drawing birds, or at least I wasn't then.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Zev » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:22 pm

Glee ^v^

In the spring I'm going to be getting a Silkie or two, they are like the lap dogs of the chicken world.

So are they just like Silkie still or have they changed in any other way?

...other then being bred to be super fluffy I bet.
Zev
Our New Pal Can Write!

Postby strange_person » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:40 pm

Somehow, I suspect that Trys physics would give them salvageable aerodynamic qualities.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Nick » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:41 pm

I'm surprised to hear that chickens exist in Trys. Hopefully we'll get to see them in TSH.

They'd probably be pretty heavy in Trys. The silkie's fluffyness would increase it's weight, since weight is dependent on cross-section; on the size of your silhouette as seen from above or below. So flight is most likely out of the question.

Very small birds might still be able to fly in Trys, if any got brought over and survived long enough to get Vlax. They naturally fly by furiously flapping their wings for a moment to gain forward momentum, and then folding their wings in and using their body-shape to provide lift. So the extra weight of their wings would only matter for a second or so between flight arcs. They might not fly as well, but I think they could still fly. I'm assuming aerodynamics work somewhat like they do on earth.

edit: This is a wonderful demonstration of what I mean. Keep in mind that it's in slow-motion. See how the silhouette of the birds is very small, except for an extremely brief instant when their wings flap, and how they mostly glide with their wings closed.
Zev wrote:In the spring I'm going to be getting a Silkie or two, they are like the lap dogs of the chicken world.

The bichon frise of the chicken world, perhaps?
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby SilverFeathers » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:01 pm

..! Chickens actually aren't very good fliers in the first place, especially not silkies as is due to the "defect" often affecting the flight feathers. A chicken, like a grouse or a quail, being a ground bird, isn't' built for extended flight, just "escape flight". They have short, broad, rounded wings, not the long wings of a songbird like that canary. So as long as they could get up onto a rooftop or other structure to escape the occasional roving Spikewolf, I think they'd be okay.

That being said, peafowl manage to get off the ground quite well for their weight as in the wild they roost in trees. Wings clipped, my peaheans clear seven feet with just the "wild flapping" combined with jump thrust. My peacock, who's had a wing amputated (due to a childhood injury, I do not believe in pinoning), manages to get to five and a half feet.

Silkies don't really have more feathers than a regular chicken. They, like the frizzles, have a defect in the feather structure. The contour feathers lack the barbs that usually allow a feather to be "zipped" up and hold the normal structure. (although with frizzles it's a curl of the vein of the feather). This causes their feathers to be essentially all "down". The silkie gene has recently been making an appearance in the Malaysian Serama breed as well (adorable tiny birds, truly). And occasionally shows in other birds. There's a rare type of Zebra finch that displays this, as well as some peafowl. My peacock has semi-silky structure to his neck feathers, and the Charcoal peafowl in particular has a high silky structure to a lot of it's feathers from what I understand. (I want one of those like you can't believe).

Then again, I'm going entirely on our physics, so....

*SKEEK*
^,^
0-0
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Wizard CaT » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:58 pm

I dunno when I attack chickens in Zelda, they seem to fly all over the place from all directions! :dwsmile: :dwsmile:
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Nick » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:23 am

Those aren't chickens. They're cuccos. Cuccos are astoundingly strong fliers. A cucco can even fly with a young boy hanging from it's feet, although it can't gain altitude.
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:51 am

Wizard CaT wrote:I dunno when I attack chickens in Zelda, they seem to fly all over the place from all directions! :dwsmile: :dwsmile:

Well, the Great Gonzo is SPECIAL....

ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Wizard CaT » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:49 pm

Nick wrote:Those aren't chickens. They're cuccos. Cuccos are astoundingly strong fliers. A cucco can even fly with a young boy hanging from it's feet, although it can't gain altitude.

If it walks like a chicken and talks like a chicken.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Tychomonger » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:50 pm

Wizard CaT wrote:If it walks like a chicken and talks like a chicken...

then it's not a man; It's a Chicken Boo!
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:13 pm

Tychomonger wrote: Wizard CaT wrote:If it walks like a chicken and talks like a chicken...

then it's not a man; It's a Chicken Boo!

...I love you guys. *misses Animaniacs*

And now it's time for Good Idea/Bad Idea!!
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Mitsukara » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:48 pm

Nick wrote:Those aren't chickens. They're cuccos. Cuccos are astoundingly strong fliers. A cucco can even fly with a young boy hanging from it's feet, although it can't gain altitude.

There was also a rooster, albeit only in a dream- and after being brought back from the dead, too-, that was so legendary it could fly/hover consistently like that. It was better at flying than a magic boomerang, since it couldn't seem to catch up to Link at that height...

Unfortunately, proto-Ingo stole it and it was never heard from again. (Am I the only one that noticed that many of OoT's characters were largely corruptions of LA characters? Like Tarin and Marin -> Talon and Malon?)
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Wizard CaT » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:14 am

Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SilverFeathers » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:18 am

@,@
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Return to Unicorn Jelly