Viral Load?

The original retro-pixel mangastrip

Viral Load?

Postby SilverFeathers » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:12 am

I know this has probably been asked a dozen times and probably answered, but...

I know that for the most part bacterial life does not exist well in the Tryslmaistan universe, but what about viruses and such "life"? Do they have a similar breakdown as bacteria would without the presence of Vlax? Would a simplistic virus have a better chance of survival in the system than a more complicated strain? Or ones that attack people vs. animals vs. plants? None of the animals that have survived are vectors as they would be in Mundis? Also, could something like BSE occur (or depending on what you ate that night, vCJD or Kuru)? Has Tryslmaistan evolution negated such agents, and more importantly, how?

!!!
Sorry if this has already been asked.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Re: Viral Load?

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:24 am

Harmful viruses did not survive in Tryslmaistan, primarily due to the extra electanic energy supporting all living things, supplementing their function. In short, with such an easier cost to biology, cells become able to fend off viruses incredibly well. Barely known to earthly science, there are (will be found) a set of incredibly tiny viruses that are beneficial and symbiotic with human life, these did survive. I don't know much about them myself beyond that.

Some bacteria did survive, strains of e coli being notable, surviving symbiotically in the human gut. A few other symbiotic bacteria survived as well, frankly, I don't know them all.

Electanic energy greatly reduces the biological cost of maintaining life in complex organisms, giving them a vastly easier time of things. This permits bizarre creatures like the Jellese to exist, and greatly lengthen earthly life as well. Indeed, it becomes trivial to extend human life indefinitely, with the implantation of simple electanic focusing chips, as we have seen in To Save Her.

But this means doom to dangerous bacteria and viruses, because what defenses that cells have are vastly magnified in power. Beneficial bacteria and viruses that are accepted by the living cells of complex organisms are not affected - they are not fought against (indeed, with bacteria such as e coli, we regularly trade DNA and RNA with them).

Beyond this, Tryslmaistan is so sterile to earthly organisms, that it would be possible to do open heart surgery in the sand at a beach, washing the blood off by rinsing surgical tools in the sea, and never worry about infection at all. If one were to open the intestines in lower abdominal surgery, though, there would be great danger of sepsis.

Food never spoils in Tryslmaistan, unless it has somehow come into contact with fecal material, say from unwashed hands fresh from a messy movement.

You could leave food out indefinitely, and it would only dry out.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby SilverFeathers » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:36 am

Interesting. So it would even kill off RNA replicators... So in theory they would be immune from a retro like HIV that goes on the attack against the immune system. But what about the prions?

So if e. Coli survived, does that mean that Salmonella has, as well?
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Wizard CaT » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:58 pm

What about those things on the end of DNA that get shorter every time the cell divides?
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:50 pm

Telomeres?

As long as you're not past the sand limit, electanic rads reattach them
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby rosie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:19 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Food never spoils in Tryslmaistan, unless it has somehow come into contact with fecal material, say from unwashed hands fresh from a messy movement.

You could leave food out indefinitely, and it would only dry out.

Augh. Ew, ew, ew, I thought something. So we here, until we find good synthetic substitutes for things, use urine for all kinds of stuff involving clothing manufacture and all that. And...we use mold to alter milk into cheese, yeast to alter grains into beer, bacteria to alter milk again into yogurt. Danger is no issue...people *still* eat fugu, not to mention rare hamburger.

How would Tryslmaistan humans use fecal bacteria to alter their food?
rosie
Welcome, New User!

Postby SilverFeathers » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:54 am

As far as I know, the only purpose there would be to make someone sick as a dog without using any other chemicals.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby strange_person » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:55 am

Dandelion-derived hops and whatever kind of grain is available, yeilding:
http://www.angryflower.com/dmaa.html
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Tychomonger » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:06 pm

Intestinal bacteria are far from harmless. If they escape the digestive tract, say for example from a wound, it is called sepsis, and it makes you very sick.

strange_person wrote:Dandelion-derived hops and whatever kind of grain is available, yeilding:

Bob the Angry Flower is my hero.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SilverFeathers » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Tychomonger wrote:Intestinal bacteria are far from harmless. If they escape the digestive tract, say for example from a wound, it is called sepsis, and it makes you very sick.

strange_person wrote:Dandelion-derived hops and whatever kind of grain is available, yeilding:

Bob the Angry Flower is my hero.

LOL! I still love Crazy Daisy Ed!
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby rosie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:19 pm

Oh, SNAP.

Well, I found that funnier than is healthy. #_@
rosie
Welcome, New User!

Return to Unicorn Jelly