Unicorn Jelly

The original retro-pixel mangastrip

Unicorn Jelly

Postby Podkayne » Thu May 15, 2008 3:28 pm

This was the first thing I came across.

I was kind of turned off by the block art at first. but the characters were really cute. Then it got big and everything.

I really liked Yasui. I wish he didn't die.

I still don't get Uni. I guess I'm not supposed to or something?
"Alice laughed. 'There's no use trying,' she said. 'One can't believe impossible things.' 'I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it half an hour a day. Why, sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Podkayne
Welcome, New User!

Re: Unicorn Jelly

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Thu May 15, 2008 11:37 pm

Podkayne wrote:This was the first thing I came across.

I was kind of turned off by the block art at first. but the characters were really cute. Then it got big and everything.

I really liked Yasui. I wish he didn't die.

I still don't get Uni. I guess I'm not supposed to or something?

The 'block' art, pixel art, was all I had the tools to do back then. Nowadays, it seems like pixel art has become kind of trendy, and there are quite a few comics out there that deliberately use pixel art, 8-bit art, and suchlike as a part of their style. One of the things I recently did to my Unicorn Jelly site was to stop being ashamed of having done my comic in pixels, and instead promote it as part of what makes it what it is.

By 'big' I presume you mean that the story developed into a cosmic, multi-generational saga... so yes, it got big and everything. Frankly, that surprised me as much as any reader.

A lot of people liked Yasui... strangely, even more seemed to like Texto. I've never quite understood the popularity of Texto, but I decided to run with it in To Save Her.

Uni, if it helps at all, is indeed not supposed to be completely understood. Uni is a liminal thing, not quite one thing or another. Uni represents the two opposing worldviews of the rational and the mystical, embodied physically into a single entity. The question of what Uni actually is... whether he is something spiritual, spectral, or whether he is just chemistry gone wild, is the very essence of him. That can never be answered, because if it were, he would stop being 'Enigmatic Ground', and instantly fall dead and empty, a fully defined thing.

Put more simply, Uni is interesting only because he is a paradoxic mystery. Defined, he becomes just a silly animal sidekick... ultimately a boring nothing. Uni has power precisely because the reader cannot ever resolve what he truly is, which worldview he truly represents, and ultimately, what happened to him... why he vanished. Did he vanish (as Lili reasoned out) because Chou came back and stole him away in the night (for horrific experiments that led to the Kay-Makers!) or did he vanish (like a sort of Tinkerbell fairy) because Giniko became distracted by her suffering and stopped believing in him? The answer to that also must never be defined. Uni is a Schroedinger's Unicorn, caught between states of definition, being and nonbeing. That is what makes the character magic.

Does that help?
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Re: Unicorn Jelly

Postby rhianna » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:35 am

the best thing I like is the unicorn jelly.... Its so much cute :).
Really like it. :)
rhianna
Welcome, New User!

Return to Unicorn Jelly