Page 4 of 4

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:12 am
by Idiot Glee
Wizard CaT wrote:
A septic tank is a nice place too for certain bacteria.


Wait, what?

I'm sure that didn't come out right for you.

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:02 pm
by Pharmakeus Ubik
If you'd like to slander California, (and by extension, Californians,) please just lay your calumnies out plainly. I've seen it compared to granola before, but a septic tank?!

Idiot Glee wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:
A septic tank is a nice place too for certain bacteria.


Wait, what?

I'm sure that didn't come out right for you.

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:43 pm
by SilverFeathers
Pharmakeus Ubik wrote:If you'd like to slander California, (and by extension, Californians,) please just lay your calumnies out plainly. I've seen it compared to granola before, but a septic tank?!

Idiot Glee wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:
A septic tank is a nice place too for certain bacteria.


Wait, what?

I'm sure that didn't come out right for you.


People in my parts are just patiently waiting for Cali to break off and fall into the ocean so we can have oceanfront property and can stop planting fake lakes all around the state and then wondering why we have sudden humidity and bug problems and why our rainy seasons are all squirreled up.

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:41 pm
by Wizard CaT
Idiot Glee wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:
A septic tank is a nice place too for certain bacteria.


Wait, what?

I'm sure that didn't come out right for you.


Well you said Cali was a nice place. So I said a septic tank was a nice place too, for bacteria. As in anything can be a nice place if you phrase it right. As what Ubik said (I think, I had to use dictionary.com) it wasn't a direct comparison, but it'd be easy to read between the lines.

Also Silver, Cali isn't going to break off, just move up to Washington.

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:37 am
by Plasman
There's always somewhere worse off than where you happen to be right now. And vice versa.
You get used to where you grow up, and move away accordingly, or not.

Also, happy Alikat is alive and safe(?) and hopes she speaks to Jennifer eventually.

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm
by SilverFeathers
Wizard CaT wrote:
Idiot Glee wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:
A septic tank is a nice place too for certain bacteria.


Wait, what?

I'm sure that didn't come out right for you.


Well you said Cali was a nice place. So I said a septic tank was a nice place too, for bacteria. As in anything can be a nice place if you phrase it right. As what Ubik said (I think, I had to use dictionary.com) it wasn't a direct comparison, but it'd be easy to read between the lines.

Also Silver, Cali isn't going to break off, just move up to Washington.


So long as we get that oceanfront in Yuma...

Actually, Cali can take Yuma with it. We don't mind. There's smeg-all there anyway.

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:42 pm
by Pharmakeus Ubik
As far as I can tell, the entire USA is falling into the ocean, so dreamy dreams that the mother is going to gift you a slice of strand at the expense of millions of lives seems as meaningful and meaningless as any other dream.

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:03 pm
by Plasman
Aren't all the ocean levels going to rise up within the next century anyway?
So just about anywhere hilly at the moment is likely to become "waterfront property" in the future... :sweatbead:

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:58 pm
by marinschild
The midlands of South Carolina were supposed to be covered with water in the distant past. Unfortunately I moved to the midlands two years ago. How long does it take to learn to snorkel?

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:02 am
by Monocheres
Have you noticed how they aren't using the term "Global Warming" any more? Now it's "Climate Change". That's because average global temperatures for the last ten years have been down. We're heading for another Ice Age. Forget the snorkel, invest in snowshoes.

Of course it's a corollary to Murphy's Law that everything east of the San Andreas fault is doomed to break off and fall into the sea.

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:07 am
by strange_person
Actually it's because increasing the global average temperature does not result in a uniform increase to all local temperatures. If the icecaps melt, that's going to mess up a lot of wind and current patterns, so some areas will get colder.

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:46 am
by SilverFeathers
All I know is that it was like, 83 degrees here yesterday but its only expected to be 76 and cloudy today.

I suspect it may be a rather warm summer again. Then again, it's always a warm summer here.

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:55 am
by Plasman
The summer we've had in our area of Australia started off very cool - December saw more rain than it had for years, and everyone I knew was going about asking, "Where the heck is summer?" :doubtful:
And then, it came... and suddenly we were seeing record heatwaves of 45 degrees Celsius. :sweatbead:

As for the whole "climate change/global warming" matter... It seems to be more of a political label than a scientific decree. At the moment I'm settling for "wait and see", though I am also trying to recycle, use less water, etc.

Also... we seem to have sailed far from the original theme - who wants to start up a new topic for this?

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:49 am
by SilverFeathers
Plasman wrote:The summer we've had in our area of Australia started off very cool - December saw more rain than it had for years, and everyone I knew was going about asking, "Where the heck is summer?" :doubtful:
And then, it came... and suddenly we were seeing record heatwaves of 45 degrees Celsius. :sweatbead:


I'm on the flip of the hemisphere and it's technically still winter. It's 74F/23C right now. Our normal summer temps are between 100F/38C and 115F+/46C+. Hottest it's topped out here is 122F/50C.

I think it's gonna be a warm summer unless the heavy rains come soon or we get a pre-spring cold snap.

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:37 am
by Wic
Woah. Apparently I CAN browse over a whole dramatic thread without even noticing it.

I can't believe this is happening. Or happened. I actually checked the date of Tychomonger's post because I thought this was just an April Fool's joke.

Do you think it's kosher to reply to posts almost a month old? Cuz im doing it now.

Anna wrote:Our impulse controll is not working correct. That's typicall for people with ADD.


Deleting a person twice in 20 minutes timeframe or removing a person's posts one by one isn't impulsive behaviour. I have an Asperger's, but that's my problem. I don't want to comform other people to live it with, especially when the fault is in my brains, not theirs. There's always some leeway to find a solution to the problem. Quoth a well known aforism; there's only one thing in this universe you change, and that's you.

The rest of your post sounds reasonable, Anna.

Since this is the internet, I can quote my own blog to have another moral on this story;

*snip*

"Do not look at my finger, look at the moon im pointing at." Buddha would say.
I also prefer the Confucius' version of it "When a wise man points at the moon, an idiot looks at the finger." Or the internet version, "A man points at the moon but the dog only licks the finger."

*snip*

Right, so where was I? Oh yea. Keeping the moon and the finger in the mind, it's quite obvious the finger is the troll. The troll is pointing at your own insecurities, and you get mad because they're exposed to the world, and worse, to yourself. Instead of going to yourself and working on the insecurities to make yourself stronger, you blame the finger, not the moon. You want to throw the teacher outside the class. You're like a child, thinking the teacher is evil because she wants you to eat your broccoli. You don't understand that you feel emotional pain for a reason.

Look at the moon, you idiot! Why do you get so mad? If you really were what you claim to be, you'd know how to handle opposing information correctly. Don't shield it by bans and whining. Go on, FEED the troll, no matter what they're saying! If you ignore the troll, you ignore the problem. Problems are supposed to be solved. Converse with the troll, have some practice. This is internet afterall, nobody REALLY cares what you say. Who knows, you might one day meet a hatemonger that really opposes you. Armed with the training with the troll and your own new-found intelligent you'll be the one who makes the smart-ass cry before you. Then you can have your shits and giggles instead of the troll.

It does not matter are the trolls 12 year old kids doing it for shits and giggles. To me, they're the Dark Riders of the Internet, doing the thing other people hate because it is needed. They take the bullets so you wouldn't be brainwashed and needlessly nurtured by like-minded thinking. Thank the trolls, because of them, you ain't a sheep.

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:31 pm
by Sumpfpflanze
Wic wrote:
*snip*

"Do not look at my finger, look at the moon im pointing at." Buddha would say.
I also prefer the Confucius' version of it "When a wise man points at the moon, an idiot looks at the finger." Or the internet version, "A man points at the moon but the dog only licks the finger."

*snip*

Right, so where was I? Oh yea. Keeping the moon and the finger in the mind, it's quite obvious the finger is the troll. The troll is pointing at your own insecurities, and you get mad because they're exposed to the world, and worse, to yourself. Instead of going to yourself and working on the insecurities to make yourself stronger, you blame the finger, not the moon. You want to throw the teacher outside the class. You're like a child, thinking the teacher is evil because she wants you to eat your broccoli. You don't understand that you feel emotional pain for a reason.

Look at the moon, you idiot! Why do you get so mad? If you really were what you claim to be, you'd know how to handle opposing information correctly. Don't shield it by bans and whining. Go on, FEED the troll, no matter what they're saying! If you ignore the troll, you ignore the problem. Problems are supposed to be solved. Converse with the troll, have some practice. This is internet afterall, nobody REALLY cares what you say. Who knows, you might one day meet a hatemonger that really opposes you. Armed with the training with the troll and your own new-found intelligent you'll be the one who makes the smart-ass cry before you. Then you can have your shits and giggles instead of the troll.

It does not matter are the trolls 12 year old kids doing it for shits and giggles. To me, they're the Dark Riders of the Internet, doing the thing other people hate because it is needed. They take the bullets so you wouldn't be brainwashed and needlessly nurtured by like-minded thinking. Thank the trolls, because of them, you ain't a sheep.


That's extremely true. One of the best writings I've read in regard of trolls.
By: somewhat troll myself also, at certain places and on certain subjects

Re: Alikat is on Temporary Ban

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:20 am
by SilverFeathers
Sumpfpflanze wrote:
That's extremely true. One of the best writings I've read in regard of trolls.
By: somewhat troll myself also, at certain places and on certain subjects


Your avatar is to cute to be attached to a troll... maybe a gnome or a kobold, yes, but not a troll... *cuddle* ^*^