I'm Going To PAX 09!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:19 pm

The launch of Ika Takozushi will be delayed about a week, but I have a very good reason.

I am getting to go to PAX. The Penny Arcade Expo. Better than E3, or so I hear. First time ever.

Eldenath has apparently been arranging this for months in secret. She just sprung it on me tonight. I have always wanted to go to PAX.

This is... FARGING AWESOME!!! YAY!!!!

We both will be at PAX, so if you are going too, maybe you'll see us there. Please say hi!

Hoopla, Denton!
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Re: I'm Going To PAX 09!

Postby Plasman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:10 am

Good luck! That should be really interesting. I wish I could go too... damn ocean being in the way grumblegrumble
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Relee » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:09 am

Well, better than the new E3 that they made after E3 died, anyways. ^.^;;

Have fun Jenny! I wish I could go too, I hear great things about that. But, I'm not really a traveller, or a conventioner, or a person-with-disposable-incomer....
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Ashes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:54 pm

It's astounding that two guys making a silly comic on the internet can put together something like PAX.

Jennifer, assuming there's going to be book signings, maybe you should bring a signed copy of one of your books to give to them!
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Shackler » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:23 pm

Penny Arcade has gone beyond being a webcomic.
Shackler
Blueberry Class Leader

Postby Idiot Glee » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:39 pm

Shackler wrote:Penny Arcade has gone beyond being a webcomic.

Their reviews are fair.
The comics are funny.
Their charity work is heartwarming.

And they'll call book burners out by name!

They're straight up journalists! Really, I'm quite impressed.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:52 pm

Man, am I nervous about going to PAX.

I mean, I want to, a LOT - I've always wanted to get to go, but it's also really hard for me.

Needless to say, I'm going to be going back on full anti-panic medication during the three days. I think that's reasonable. It's going to be crowded and loud.

I won't go into all of my many worries, rational or irrational; suffice it to say they are always hugely magnified for me, bigger than big. My anxieties are Gigantor the Space Age Robot. They're stronger than strong, too.

I'm sure it will be fun. PAX is fun. It's solid fun. That's the point. Gamers who love games getting together to celebrate... games. By gaming. And talking about games. And seeing games. It should be glorious.

But it is also hard. So hard, for me at least.

This is one of those moments when I miss being younger and healthier, before my panic disorder and heart attack, the most. When I want to be able to do something outside of my home, something that involves travel and walking and standing a lot around lots of people. To me, now in my life, those activities - travel, people, and physicality, are horror at some levels. Horror.

PAX is sublime to me. Horror and fascination and joy, all mixed together. Sublime. More or less.

I am sure I will enjoy it more when I get there tomorrow. But now, it is dread. Terrible dread.

Sigh.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Alfador » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:46 am

It was right downtown from me. If I'd known it was going to be this weekend before tickets sold out... I still probably wouldn't have gone, because I'd blocked out this entire two-week period to Mom visiting from North Carolina.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:15 am

I'm sorry that public places make you nervous, Jennifer. :( I'm not wild about them either - but dammit I'd still go!!!
So how was it?! Did you get to meet Gabe and Tycho? Did you snag any souvenirs? Take photos?! Huh? Didja? HUH?!>!?...

{settles down}
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:13 am

I'm back, a few quick notes (I'll have pictures, later) -

>> It was really great!

>> It was really exhausting!

>> Poor Eldenath has the flu now, real bad. (sad face)

Stay well, people!
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Idiot Glee » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:26 am

Get well soon Eldanath!

And oh illustrious creatrix we eagerly await news of your conventional trip.
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby draque » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:16 am

Glad you had fun! I've always wanted to head out to one of them, but never had the chance. Can't wait to hear what it was like. ^^
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Tychomonger » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:58 am

cwgabriel wrote:Just heard of our first test-confirmed swine flu case at the show. PLEASE if you feel symptoms (fever, etc) go to the doctor. #pax
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Anna » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:12 pm

Tychomonger wrote:
cwgabriel wrote:Just heard of our first test-confirmed swine flu case at the show. PLEASE if you feel symptoms (fever, etc) go to the doctor. #pax

Yes, - GO!
All of you! .. means all 4!
A flu get's you all!
Don't think taking Gatorade alone can help.

And it's ok, we can wait for the new comic.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:19 pm

I'm fighting off the flu myself right now. I'm winning.... so far. I can feel it trying to invade my lungs.

Elde has had sore throat, then a sudden fever, then wracking cough - she feels pretty crap. But I have to say I've seen her worse. Sandi has been fighting this thing off really well, like me. If this is the piggy flu, it is as I have recently read, remarkably easy for a flu.

Everything I've been reading recently seems to suggest this whole thing has been really overblown. The number of deaths from H1N1 are much lower than with normal flu. I honestly think Sandi and I can beat it. We are following the Army regime - lots of vitamin D3. It really seems to work - I'm glad I read about their experiment a while ago. Apparently vitamin D is a major player in denying flu a foothold and the reason why flu cannot spread well during the summer, or in regions that are very hot and bright. It seems to work. I only have a mild cough, and a bit of tiredness. Not bad for flu.

Elde though - she always has the worst immune system in the house. She just seems to have bad genes or something. Then again, she doesn't take her vitamins until she gets sick... and she won't eat vegetables, either. That could be a lot of it right there, come to think of it.

I am processing my pictures, getting them ready so I can do a fancy show-and-tell of my adventures at PAX for you. Um... forgive my amateur skills, OK?
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Idiot Glee » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:25 pm

Well I hope you all feel better soon. And remember, if your nasal passages back up, get some hot food in you. It will help, and it's a good excuse for chili.
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Relee » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:49 pm

Oh you should get on Elde's case about the vitamins and veggies. Maybe try some different veggies to see what they might like?
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Zilla » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:09 am

Aww, I could have met you there! Bugger.

I, too, caught the H1Nerd1, the PAX pox, from this event. It was rather mild, but I stayed home from class for the first week... and when I actually did go to class on Friday, I really regretted it.

I'm looking forward to going next year as well. I hear it's a good thing to go to for trying to get work in the industry and all... and PAX was way more fun than GDC, that's for sure.

(Would have helped if I had actually been able to see any panels at GDC, instead of aimlessly wandering around hoping to network with random people)

SakuraCon in the same place this weekend! :D
Zilla
Blueberry Class

Return to That Jennifer Person